Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nicola Sturgeon vows to start process of second independence referendum

(283 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 23-Jan-22 19:38:11

Asked by the BBC's Sophie Raworth this morning when the legislation would be tabled, Ms Sturgeon said: “The preparatory work for that is underway right now. We haven’t decided on the date that we would seek to introduce the Bill. We’ll decide that in the coming weeks.

“But my intention is to take the steps that will facilitate a referendum happening before the end of 2023."

She won’t give up. I think it’s a dead duck.
Any thoughts?

Alegrias1 Mon 31-Jan-22 08:47:02

The SNP are not synonymous with people who want independence.

The use of the word "separatists" is getting very tired and is clearly designed to demonise independence supporters.

If you don't support SNP governance, vote for another party of government after independence.

I don't know much about Eire, but I believe many of their problems were associated with a colonial power refusing them self determination. Sound familiar?

JenniferEccles Mon 31-Jan-22 08:50:24

These frequent referendums would have to be constantly hailed as ‘fraudulent’ though of course just to add to the drama.

Mollygo Mon 31-Jan-22 09:41:31

Callistemon21 and JenniferEccles I’m glad to see you’re entering into the spirit of the idea. If the vote doesn’t go your way, it’s fraudulent. If you’ve agreed to a one off referendum, you’re allowed to change your mind. If the referendums cost the public too much that’s another complaint BUT in the interests of saving money, if we know these claims and demands are going to happen, we could reuse the posters and leaflets

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 10:41:02

Well, at least it would stop people worrying about other, less important matters, like Covid, wars, no gas for heating, food prices etc.
Keep them occupied with endless referenda.

Petera Mon 31-Jan-22 11:05:42

Callistemon21

Well, at least it would stop people worrying about other, less important matters, like Covid, wars, no gas for heating, food prices etc.

It's competent government that allows us to deal with these less important matters.

There are always 'more important' problems; that's just an excuse for inaction.

Kali2 Mon 31-Jan-22 11:20:43

JenniferEccles

These frequent referendums would have to be constantly hailed as ‘fraudulent’ though of course just to add to the drama.

Just depends if they are run properly, or fraudulent, or not!?!

Callistemon21 Mon 31-Jan-22 11:37:39

Petera

Callistemon21

It's competent government that allows us to deal with these less important matters.

There are always 'more important' problems; that's just an excuse for inaction.

confused