Gransnet forums

News & politics

Would 'The People' accept a highly redacted and incomplete report from Ms Gray?

(65 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 24-Jan-22 10:16:56

What do you think?

Kali2 Mon 24-Jan-22 14:10:05

Petera

EllanVannin

Why worry about what's happening with Russia when you have this partygate etc ?

Because the people who will have to make the ultimate decisions about Russia are showing that they can't even organise a piss-up in their back garden?

This, thank you (tragic as it is).

Miss Adventure, I truly do not think this will be the case this time. 100%.

MissAdventure Mon 24-Jan-22 14:12:05

I hope you're right, Kali2.
Watch this space, I suppose.

Curlywhirly Mon 24-Jan-22 14:48:16

I think the report will probably be redacted (a lot!) and we won't get to hear the full story, but, I think most people have already made up their minds as to what really happened (there is enough evidence and facts already out there). Johnson is stuffed whatever we get to hear (or not); no one believes his ridiculous excuse that he didn't know the rules (that he made). If the report exonerates him, most people will just say it's a whitewash. He's toast.

Parsley3 Mon 24-Jan-22 14:53:52

The report is already toothless. I agree that there are more important things to concern us but I am fearful of leaving it to Johnson when important decisions have to be made about Russia.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 24-Jan-22 14:53:59

Of course we won’t hear the full story. Johnson, according to today’s Guardian, will receive the complete report and then decide personally on the amount of detail to be made public. (P.7) you really couldn’t make it up.

Kali2 Mon 24-Jan-22 15:00:16

The point is, Ladyleftfieldlover- is that many of us believe, that he even attempts to fiddle with the report- 'the People' will revolt!

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 24-Jan-22 15:04:50

Kali2

The point is, Ladyleftfieldlover- is that many of us believe, that he even attempts to fiddle with the report- 'the People' will revolt!

We have to hope, Kali2, that copies will be taken of the report and lodged somewhere with high security. Not No. 10!

MaizieD Mon 24-Jan-22 15:06:17

He's toast.

How is he 'toast', curlywurly?

No-one can get rid of him.

The 1922 Committee can only sack him as leader of the tory party. They can't deprive him of the Premiership. He could hang on in there for the next 3 years as PM.

The queen does have technical power to dismiss a PM if they are 'behaving unconstitutionally' but it's unlikely that she'd use it.

The opposition parties could call for a vote of no confidence, but with the tory majority would they win it?

Would he do the decent thing and resign? Well... is it likely that Johnson could do a decent thing?

rosie1959 Mon 24-Jan-22 15:08:03

And even if the the report is totally complete there will be some that do not accept the findings if it doesn't say what they want to hear

Urmstongran Mon 24-Jan-22 15:34:39

People will be sceptical. Some more than others.

Daisymae Mon 24-Jan-22 16:04:52

I await with interest the timing the publication of the bits of information contained in the report that the Tories would like the public to see.

Lincslass Mon 24-Jan-22 16:38:27

rosie1959

And even if the the report is totally complete there will be some that do not accept the findings if it doesn't say what they want to hear

Depends what the results are. If exonerated there will certainly be many who won’t accept the result. It could be sworn on in a court of Law, they still wouldn’t accept it.

Allsorts Mon 24-Jan-22 16:44:16

Let’s see what the report says. I understand his little daughter has Covid.

westendgirl Mon 24-Jan-22 17:01:50

I'm sorry Allsorts but i'm not sure what your point is.
I think the public will be fed only the bits Johnson wants them to hear. He is not trustworthy and I feel that as Curly wurly says he has lost all respect and will never be able to get it back again.

Kali2 Mon 24-Jan-22 17:41:12

Urmstongran

People will be sceptical. Some more than others.

Sorry urmstongran, what do you mean by 'sceptical' in the context of this thread?

silverlining48 Mon 24-Jan-22 17:50:58

Let’s hope BJ ohnson is not thinking a war might save him, pretty much as Iraq did for MThatcher,

MerylStreep Mon 24-Jan-22 18:00:10

Silverlining
I think your confused with your wars and Prime Ministers.
I think the general public is behind Boris helping the Ukraine.
That assumption is irrelevant because Russia aren’t going to invade.

rosie1959 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:34:51

silverlining48

Let’s hope BJ ohnson is not thinking a war might save him, pretty much as Iraq did for MThatcher,

Mrs Thatcher sent a task force to defend the Falklands back in 1982 early in her premiership she did not need saving and went on till 1990
Nothing to do with Iraq

BlueBelle Mon 24-Jan-22 18:38:08

So ANOTHER party has come to light, this time his birthday party
He has to gooooooo and take all the others with him

silverlining48 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:41:24

Sorry, my mistake, it was the falklands of course and her popularity was waning at the time.

Let’s all hope that Ukraine remains peaceful but these are dangerous times,

ayse Mon 24-Jan-22 18:45:41

silverlining48

Sorry, my mistake, it was the falklands of course and her popularity was waning at the time.

I thought at the time that this was a diversionary tactic to whip up patriotism, which it did. Wasn’t the pole tax around at this time and many people were very angry.

rosie1959 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:48:27

silverlining48

Not sure about her popularity waning she went on to win two landslide elections in 1983 and 1987

silverlining48 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:53:32

Her popularity only picked up after the Falklands.

rosie1959 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:59:49

silverlining48

Her popularity only picked up after the Falklands.

Must admit it was a very long time ago remember her getting into office in 1979 so she wasn’t PM long before the Falklands
and I had little interest in politics then

silverlining48 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:09:43

Rosie check for yourself, it was said at the time that the Falklands saved her from losing the upcoming election. From her point of view it couldnt have happened at a better time.