Gransnet forums

News & politics

Holocaust Memorial Day

(63 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Jan-22 10:53:34

With anti-semitism on the rise, it is just as important that this day is remembered as it ever was.

Scapegoating has become almost endemic in our politics and it must stop.

Smileless2012 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:03:15

Those are on my bucket list Alegrias we'd planned to go and then Covid happened.

Lucca Thu 27-Jan-22 18:24:04

Just seen the portraits on the news. They are wonderful.

Iam64 Thu 27-Jan-22 18:34:01

Josieann, it sounds as though your work took you into an area with a particular Jewish community, possibly Hasidic. Like many Christian or Muslim fundamentalist sects, they want to be separate.
Their way of life bears no resemblance to that of my Jewish friends

Chewbacca Thu 27-Jan-22 19:00:22

My memorium candle is lit.

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 19:01:10

Politics aside, I wonder if one of the portraits was of a lady I met, only twice, but who left a great impression on me.
She survived but died only recently last November, I hadnt realised sad
She became a knitwear designer.

Mady Gerrard - RIP

Callistemon21 Thu 27-Jan-22 19:08:35

I would like to see the portraits Prince Charles has had commissioned for the Queens Gallery.

Me too, Grandmadinosaur. I see three are shown on the BBC News site but not the others.

valdali Thu 27-Jan-22 19:27:59

Holocaust memorial Day.So important to remember. I used to think something so unspeakably awful could never happen again - not so sure any longer.

Yammy Thu 27-Jan-22 19:58:36

MaizieD

I think your last sentence would have been better left unsaid, Yammy.

There is antisemitism and other forms of racism all through the population. It is not exclusive to any one organisation.

Personally, having been brought up in the 50s/60s when the Holocaust was a recent experience and pervaded our lives much more than a once a year 'Day', I couldn't understand why Jews were hated so much and still don't (apart from anti Zionism). They're just people, like everyone else in this world.

(I had more of a problem with having anti-German feelings because of popular culture and the Holocaust)

Maybe you do but I don't it shows how racial predudice of any kind can be insidious until it is found out.
We are hopefully look at these matters differently now but it has not always been the case Dickens had his Fagin and Shakespeare his Shylock and Othello. neither were castigated for it.
Race eradication is still being practised in countries like Myanmar.
I was also brought up in the 50's when anti German/Japanese feeling was still strong because of relations and friends lost in both wars but always sympathised with children who had German parents and the verbal abuse they suffered.

tickingbird Thu 27-Jan-22 21:42:33

As a Jewish person I can tell you that anti semitism is on the rise and it just doesn’t create the fuss and outrage that other forms of racist attacks do. I don’t look Jewish and don’t broadcast the fact but the more visible Jews are definitely being targeted, especially in London. This has increased substantially since Corbyn and pals were running the LP.

MaizieD Thu 27-Jan-22 21:56:37

Yammy

MaizieD

There is antisemitism and other forms of racism all through the population. It is not exclusive to any one organisation.

Personally, having been brought up in the 50s/60s when the Holocaust was a recent experience and pervaded our lives much more than a once a year 'Day', I couldn't understand why Jews were hated so much and still don't (apart from anti Zionism). They're just people, like everyone else in this world.

(I had more of a problem with having anti-German feelings because of popular culture and the Holocaust)

Maybe you do but I don't it shows how racial predudice of any kind can be insidious until it is found out.
We are hopefully look at these matters differently now but it has not always been the case Dickens had his Fagin and Shakespeare his Shylock and Othello. neither were castigated for it.
I was also brought up in the 50's when anti German/Japanese feeling was still strong because of relations and friends lost in both wars but always sympathised with children who had German parents and the verbal abuse they suffered.

What I was getting at, Yammy. is that it isn't just one organisation.

Who do you think attacked 2 Jews today?

twitter.com/search?q=jews%20attacked%20london&src=typeahead_click

It's sadly, and for some unknown reason, pervasive.

Josieann Thu 27-Jan-22 22:01:27

the more visible Jews are definitely being targeted, especially in London.
Definitely tickingbird.

Shandy57 Thu 27-Jan-22 22:06:23

I had a peek outside and I'm the only person in the street with a candle.

Yammy Thu 27-Jan-22 22:09:40

MaizieD

Yammy

MaizieD

What I was getting at, Yammy. is that it isn't just one organisation.

Who do you think attacked 2 Jews today?

twitter.com/search?q=jews%20attacked%20london&src=typeahead_click

It's sadly, and for some unknown reason, pervasive.

I think we are both saying the same thing, it is often in the place you least expect it and I used the Labour party as an example not as the only place.Ticking Bird also mentions the Corbyn era in the labour party.

trisher Thu 27-Jan-22 22:29:19

I understand the horrors of the Holocaust and I don't want to take anything from the memory and the recognition of what happened, but I also think it's time we had a Genocide day when we remember that hatred, persecution and mass murder still happen and are based in discrimination and not accepting differences. It is horrific to look at how many instances of mass slaughter there have been in the 20th century www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/pol116/genocides.htm

trisher Thu 27-Jan-22 22:32:31

I think it is far too easy for this to be dismissed as something that happened in history and wouldn't happen today. We need to realise people still die because of their faith or their race.

Josieann Thu 27-Jan-22 22:41:26

Looking at the figures you provided in that table trisher, I believe that 50% of those killed in German concentration camps were actually non Jews. It would be far better to have a Genocide day as you suggest so the focus is on all victims not just Jewish.

growstuff Thu 27-Jan-22 23:01:43

As a former secondary German teacher, I had to deal with the backlash from Holocaust Day and the teaching of the holocaust. Unfortunately, I don't think it's always taught very well and the message some pupils come away with is that Germans were/are all bad. I used to prepare lessons about Sophie Scholl non Jew, who was executed by the Nazis.

I agree with others that bigotry, stereotyping and racism were the underlying causes of the holocaust - and those issues are still with is.

Chardy Fri 28-Jan-22 07:43:03

tickingbird

As a Jewish person I can tell you that anti semitism is on the rise and it just doesn’t create the fuss and outrage that other forms of racist attacks do. I don’t look Jewish and don’t broadcast the fact but the more visible Jews are definitely being targeted, especially in London. This has increased substantially since Corbyn and pals were running the LP.

I don't disagree, Tickingbird, but all forms of racism are on the rise.

As for why do people treat other people like this - they don't see them as human. Alternatively they consider themselves superior, and we see plenty of that in other walks of life, sexism, xenophobia, the castigation of the poor, benefit claimants, single mothers etc.

Chardy Fri 28-Jan-22 07:46:48

As for Corbyn and the Labour Party
^A stunning admission
But now, in early 2022, over two years since the peddlers of the campaign succeeded in derailing Corbyn’s chances of becoming prime minister, one of the mostflagrantoffendersof all has now essentially admitted that the whole thing was a farce all along. Astonishingly, during a radio broadcast ofBBC 5 Live, presenter Rachel Burdensaidmatter-of-factly:
There is absolutely no evidence that the leader of the Labour Party at that time [in 2019], Jeremy Corbyn, was or is antisemitic.^

Iam64 Fri 28-Jan-22 08:20:37

How does that ‘prove’ concerns about anti semitism in the LP during that period were a farce?

Blondiescot Fri 28-Jan-22 08:35:52

I didn't see much tv yesterday, but what I did, when Holocaust Memorial Day was mentioned, it was also pointed out that not only is anti-semitism very much still around today, but so is race eradication and genocide, such as what is happening in Myanmar and with the Uighurs, to mention just two examples. Robert Rinder was interviewed on breakfast tv and was at pains to point out that this is very much still an issue even now.

Gwyneth Fri 28-Jan-22 08:43:13

I watched the programme about these remarkable people. The portraits were beautiful. I just hope they can be loaned out to other galleries all over the country so that we can all have the opportunity to see them.

Iam64 Fri 28-Jan-22 12:53:19

Blondiescot

I didn't see much tv yesterday, but what I did, when Holocaust Memorial Day was mentioned, it was also pointed out that not only is anti-semitism very much still around today, but so is race eradication and genocide, such as what is happening in Myanmar and with the Uighurs, to mention just two examples. Robert Rinder was interviewed on breakfast tv and was at pains to point out that this is very much still an issue even now.

Thanks for this. I’m always rather puzzled when people respond to Holocaust Memorial Day by saying it’s about more than the systematic murder of Jews and whataboutnow.

Blondiescot Fri 28-Jan-22 13:43:28

I also found it very touching to go onto the Yad Vashem Twitter account where you could choose to remember one particular Holocaust victim from their Shoah Names Database. Mine was Aizik Gutman, a Polish rabbi. It helps to humanise those who died and remind people that each was a person with their own story to tell - not just a number, one of more than six million who were murdered.

Josieann Fri 28-Jan-22 13:59:16

I agree with your comment Blondiescot. We can be given all the figures in the world, but it isn't until one name, one photo, one person's life comes to the fore that the message really hits home.