Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liz Truss does not know her Baltics from her Balkans .

(55 Posts)
Yammy Thu 03-Feb-22 12:43:29

Yesterday it was pointed out on Russian T.V. and ridiculed that the Foreign Minister had said that Britain would be supporting her Baltic allies across the Black sea.
This is the woman who thinks she might be in with a chance at being out next P.M. She does not know rudimentary geography she could have looked at an Atlas.
Imagine the fixes she could get us in mixing say Georgia the state in the U.S.A and Georgia the satellite country of Russia.hmm

Kali2 Sat 05-Feb-22 10:17:40

Indeed. And just how rude is that post! It is clear that they do not have a viable answer, bar blaming the EU for a situation which is entirely home-made.

Kali2 Sat 05-Feb-22 10:21:01

Kali2

There MUST be a border. It can be in England or Scotland, before ships leave for NI, or in the sea between the two, or on arrival in NI, or between NI and Ireland/EU.

So I shall ask, politely, again- where will the border go. Because a border there will be, somewhere, and the EU is totally right to insist upon it..

Wheniwasyourage Sun 06-Feb-22 12:02:01

Wouldn't bother, Kali2. It's like the eternal question we all keep asking from this side of the table: "What are the benefits of Brexit?". We don't ever get an answer to that one and we won't, I suspect, get an answer to your one about where the border should be. Perhaps there are some people who prefer to put a bag over their heads and hide behind the sofa rather than figure that out!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 06-Feb-22 12:07:50

vegansrock

You would think a foreign secretary would have some grasp of geography. Obviously not.

No, not really. It is a political appointment after all, not one based on any special knowledge of the subject.

It does, however, shock me that if this was not a slip of the tongue - yes I know, an excuse worthy of Mr. Johnson, that anyone who paid attention in either history or geography at school could make the mistake.

But perhaps she spent her time looking out of the window when at school.