Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liz Truss does not know her Baltics from her Balkans .

(54 Posts)
Yammy Thu 03-Feb-22 12:43:29

Yesterday it was pointed out on Russian T.V. and ridiculed that the Foreign Minister had said that Britain would be supporting her Baltic allies across the Black sea.
This is the woman who thinks she might be in with a chance at being out next P.M. She does not know rudimentary geography she could have looked at an Atlas.
Imagine the fixes she could get us in mixing say Georgia the state in the U.S.A and Georgia the satellite country of Russia.hmm

Lincslass Thu 03-Feb-22 12:47:46

Oh for goodness sakes, keep hoping that each morning Boris will be saying he’s resigned, Lord help us, is all I can say. At least a new pm may well have a chuck out. Really wished I’d abstained from voting , in fact I probably won’t bother next time. Apart from overseas tour, have always voted.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Feb-22 12:50:32

Yes I saw and heard that.

She really is a sandwich or two short of a picnic.

Our reputation is rapidly going down the drain.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Feb-22 12:51:06

I bet the loons in the shires vote her in as leader given the chance

Dear oh dear.

Bellanonna Thu 03-Feb-22 17:51:03

Well I often get Baltic and Balkans muddled. No great problem, but then I’m not in public office.

vegansrock Thu 03-Feb-22 18:04:04

You would think a foreign secretary would have some grasp of geography. Obviously not.

Casdon Thu 03-Feb-22 18:08:32

I don’t know if it was mentioned on the old sayings thread, but one my dad says is ‘she doesn’t know her arse from her elbow’ - it fits quite well here.

Dinahmo Thu 03-Feb-22 18:23:42

Apparently she is popular with Tory members who are mainly middle aged or elderly men. Says something about them.

LilacChaser Thu 03-Feb-22 18:29:02

Ha, ha. When she was Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs she had trouble naming a popular British wild animal (can't quite remember which one). Needless to say, she didn't last long.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Feb-22 18:30:09

LilacChaser

Ha, ha. When she was Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs she had trouble naming a popular British wild animal (can't quite remember which one). Needless to say, she didn't last long.

She also asked the EA if climate change really existed.

trisher Thu 03-Feb-22 18:34:02

Perhaps she should be sent on a few overseas visits and left to find her own way back?? India-Indonesia. Austria-Australia there must be so many places we could lose her.

varian Thu 03-Feb-22 19:42:25

I heard her mix up her Balkans and Baltics once, and I'm sure her advisors heard it then and put her right, but she kept doing it.

Please ban this stupid woman from speaking to representatives of any other countries on our behalf. She makes us all look stupid.

Callistemon21 Thu 03-Feb-22 20:14:57

Yammy

Yesterday it was pointed out on Russian T.V. and ridiculed that the Foreign Minister had said that Britain would be supporting her Baltic allies across the Black sea.
This is the woman who thinks she might be in with a chance at being out next P.M. She does not know rudimentary geography she could have looked at an Atlas.
Imagine the fixes she could get us in mixing say Georgia the state in the U.S.A and Georgia the satellite country of Russia.hmm

Speechless (well nearly)

Ukraine is not in The Balkans either.

Yammy Fri 04-Feb-22 10:15:40

I know that Ukraine is not in the Balkans as well but does Liz Truss? I can't find out why the Balkans were mentioned but as another poster has pointed out she has done it before. She did PPE at Merton Oxford surely with the job she has she would double-check her geography knowledge or lack of it.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 04-Feb-22 10:32:12

Useless woman, total waste of space in whichever office she's been given.

Callistemon21 Fri 04-Feb-22 10:35:46

I've got a Phillip's School Atlas on the shelf - probably out of date but do you think it might help her?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 04-Feb-22 10:38:14

Invaluable I'd say Callistemon, but she's probably so up herself she wouldn't bother to look at the nice pictures.

Greta Fri 04-Feb-22 10:58:53

I'm sure there are many who mix up the Baltic and the Balkans. But if LT can't get her head around it that is rather worrying. As a Swede I am very familiar with the Baltic; we call it 'Östersjön' (=the East Sea). It amused me when I first arrived in the UK that some people didn't know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland. Not sure if Liz Truss knows...

Callistemon21 Fri 04-Feb-22 11:01:48

Greta

I'm sure there are many who mix up the Baltic and the Balkans. But if LT can't get her head around it that is rather worrying. As a Swede I am very familiar with the Baltic; we call it 'Östersjön' (=the East Sea). It amused me when I first arrived in the UK that some people didn't know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland. Not sure if Liz Truss knows...

Well, I've swum in the Baltic so I can tell the difference
Actually, it's not as cold as people think it might be.

I do listen to quiz programmes and it's astonishing how little geography some people appear to know, but I'd expect a Foreign Secretary to know better!

trisher Fri 04-Feb-22 11:13:37

I've just realised it's Liz Truss- she's a Tory-Baltic,Balkans, Sweden, Switzerland they're all Johnny Foreigner and we are British! The Tory party Got Br itain exit done!

Kali2 Fri 04-Feb-22 11:47:11

Can you talk Swissish, used to ask our milkman regularly. And he just could not 'get it' that Swissish does not exist. And that Sweden is, actually, another country.

Kali2 Fri 04-Feb-22 11:48:59

Raab didn't quite realise the UK is surrounded by water, and that it is quite significant in the Brexit context! And so many Brexiters never realised there was land border, between NI/UK and Ireland/EU.

Urmstongran Fri 04-Feb-22 11:50:50

I’m not a fan of Liz Truss. I think she’s a lightweight.

growstuff Fri 04-Feb-22 12:01:33

Kali2

Can you talk Swissish, used to ask our milkman regularly. And he just could not 'get it' that Swissish does not exist. And that Sweden is, actually, another country.

He might have had a point. I find Schwyzerdütsch very difficult to understand. grin

Kali2 Fri 04-Feb-22 12:05:09

So do I, so do I lol ;)

I have got a Degree in German, used to teach it- and my parents were true snobs about Swiss German. Hochdeutsch it had to be. And there are so many versions of Swiss German too- people from Zurich can barely understand those from Bern (Zuritüsch and Bärntütsch)!