Gransnet forums

News & politics

So much for a world beating Animal Welfare Bill

(108 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 07:25:29

The government have shelved a proposed ban on foie gras and imported fur..

Rees Mogg argued that it prevents personal choice.

Not sure what choice the animals have.

Like everything else the promises are nothing but hot air.

Shandy57 Wed 23-Feb-22 12:46:03

Despicable.

Kali2 Wed 23-Feb-22 12:31:37

Johnson has just been asked for foie gras and fur ban reversal in PMQT just now. He absolutely and totally ignored it, 100%, in his reply. Despicable.

Dinahmo Sun 20-Feb-22 19:08:53

In Thiviers there is an hotel called the Hotel de France et de Russie. Apparently it was originally occupied by Russian representatives of the Tsar who used to come regularly on buying trips for foie gras.

Coastpath Sun 20-Feb-22 10:19:17

I should have proof read that. Apologies. It should have read..

He deliberately twists facts and filibusters when it suits him. Why do the good, passionate, caring Tory MPs tolerate him? When Johnson lied about the animals that were rescued from Afghanistan Mogg dismissed this as people 'Fussing over a few animals'. It upsets me that he is a dog owner and yet this obviously doesn't touch his soul enough for him to care about animals generally.

The Defence Secretary seems to have been one of those who supported Mogg's decision.

Coastpath Sun 20-Feb-22 10:15:42

I agree with you Germanshepherdsmum. He seems to hold so much sway though.

He deliberately twists facts and filibusters when it suits him. Why do the good, passionate, caring Tory MPs tolerate him. When Johnson lied a animals were rescued from Afghanistan and he dismissed the relevance of this as people 'Fussing over a few animals'. It upsets me that he is a dog owner and yet this obviously doesn't touch his soul enough for him to care about animals generally.

I've posted before about how dreadful he is and other posters point out what a good constituency MP he is. So I suppose that's why we all have to suffer the man.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 20-Feb-22 09:56:03

Yes, these are items that the (insensitive and uncaring) rich would buy. Although I'm a Conservative voter I cannot bear Rees Mogg. He's a complete upper class twit, a laughing stock and why he has a position in the cabinet is beyond me. But there must be others who support this decision, he wouldn't get it through on his own. I'd like to know who they are.

vegansrock Sun 20-Feb-22 07:10:34

The rich eat foie gras and wear fur - maybe that’s why Rees Mogg has dropped this. Talk about pandering to the elite.

Shinamae Sat 19-Feb-22 22:17:17

This..??

vegansrock Sat 19-Feb-22 22:00:10

We may have high standards on paper but they aren’t adhered to - hardly any prosecutions for cruelty despite loads of evidence. Just because other countries are worse is no defence, we should be striving to improve standards everywhere. We were PROMISED higher standards and it isn’t being delivered. I can’t say I’m surprised, just another thing to get angry about.

Shandy57 Sat 19-Feb-22 21:38:30

Thanks Shinamae, poor old geese should have flown somewhere else. Unfortunately I caught part of a film which showed the appalling conditions they are kept in, with a rough man grabbing at the geese, another image I'll never get out of my mind.

Shinamae Sat 19-Feb-22 20:43:10

Shandy57

I wonder who invented foie gras. Such a disgusting thing to do to a defenceless creature.

And I was all set to blame the Romans!

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 20:40:15

It happened very quickly!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 20:31:12

Callistemon21

Oh! My post might be deleted as I was responding to Whitewave

It is because I realised I was wrong so asked for it to be withdrawn.

What I’ve subsequently found is that it is still used in the EU, but it is to be drastically reduced. The U.K. have as yet no plans to reduce its use.

But it does look an unpleasant chemical.

Organic is the way to go I guess.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 20:23:33

Oh! My post might be deleted as I was responding to Whitewave

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 20:22:50

Imazalil is "moderately hazardous" and a likely human carcinogen, according to the World Health Organisation, but most of the pesticide might be in the peel and therefore not eaten.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 19:59:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 19:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 19:46:43

MayBee70

But they said that leaving the EU would make our animal welfare standards better. And now they’re backtracking on that. People who voted leave voted to improve standards. Doesn’t that mean that vote leave lied. Just as they did about removing VAT from fuel?

Well, so they did!
They didn't keep their promises, did they!

Surprise, surprise!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 19:35:26

GrannyGravy13

There is a detailed article on this Bill on the BBC website, it is not ^a done deal^

Do not be fooled. We are dealing with Mogg and the right here remember.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:50:53

There is a detailed article on this Bill on the BBC website, it is not a done deal

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 19-Feb-22 18:48:21

I don’t think there’s any doubt that Vote Leave lied. Glad I wasn’t taken in.

Kali2 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:47:29

or more or less everything else!

MayBee70 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:29:03

But they said that leaving the EU would make our animal welfare standards better. And now they’re backtracking on that. People who voted leave voted to improve standards. Doesn’t that mean that vote leave lied. Just as they did about removing VAT from fuel?

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:06:22

Another back peddle by this government who couldn’t sink any lower in my opinion.

But not as low as all other European countries apart from Sweden and Austria as regards animal welfare!!

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 18:04:46

The UKs welfare standards are not the highest so stop kidding yourselves

I'm not kidding myself, the information was from an organisation concerned about animal welfare