Gransnet forums

News & politics

So much for a world beating Animal Welfare Bill

(108 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Feb-22 07:25:29

The government have shelved a proposed ban on foie gras and imported fur..

Rees Mogg argued that it prevents personal choice.

Not sure what choice the animals have.

Like everything else the promises are nothing but hot air.

vegansrock Sat 19-Feb-22 11:01:40

Ridiculous to say no one has been campaigning for improved animal welfare - we have- except no one takes any notice. Yes we should have campaigned for improved welfare when we were EU members but didn’t ,we could have raised our standards and regulations, but didn’t , animal welfare in this country is woeful and just because it may be worse elsewhere is NO excuse. NO prosecutions for animal cruelty on farms and in slaughterhouses even when there is blatant video evidence. It happens every day. IN THE U.K. Plus the MoD would not consider faux fur bearskins even when they are indistinguishable from real bear fur and they serve no military purpose - they are just for show, so we are contributing to killing if bears in Canada for cosmetic reasons Appalling. This government and its supporters should be ashamed of just ignoring this.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 19-Feb-22 11:03:40

Another horrendous practice is the plucking of down from live ducks and geese, over and over again, their breasts left red raw. I won't buy anything filled with down or feathers unless they are ethically sourced. Something else that could be banned.

We had a thread a while ago mentioning that some genuine fur is labelled as being fake. I won't touch fake fur either.

I try to do my bit and support campaigning charities but so long as there is a demand for the products of these cruel practices they will carry on. Banning their importation into the UK would be a step towards eliminating demand.

Urmstongran Sat 19-Feb-22 11:03:48

When we had a voice in the EU, with MEPs acting as part of the decision making process in Europe, then we could campaign via our own MEP. Not now - that avenue has been closed for us

And much good it did anyway (not).

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 11:04:10

vegansrock not just this government, dreadful though they might be - it has been every government even when we were EU members.

Smileless2012 Sat 19-Feb-22 11:05:18

Don't eat it and don't wear it. Unfortunately when people do, there'll always be a market.

Urmstongran Sat 19-Feb-22 11:06:33

This government and its supporters should be ashamed of just ignoring this.

Bearskins not worn during Tony Blair’s tenure then?

Urmstongran Sat 19-Feb-22 11:07:25

X posts Calli!

Smileless2012 Sat 19-Feb-22 11:07:27

Oh yes the Bearskinsangry why on earth are they still wearing those.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 19-Feb-22 11:08:59

One of the charities which I support gains inside information on cruelty in intensive farming and slaughterhouses and supports prosecutions vegansrock - Hillside Animal Sanctuary near me in Norfolk. Patron Martin Shaw. However they can't have full charitable status, enabling them to claim Gift Aid on donations, because that would mean they wouldn't be able to continue to carry out that side of their work as they currently do. What an irony.

ixion Sat 19-Feb-22 11:13:08

Why can't they have bri-nylon bearskins?
Let's face it, no-one gets up close enough to give them a stroke if they value their life

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 19-Feb-22 11:17:46

You'd think fake fur bearskins would be possible wouldn't you?

CoolCoco Sat 19-Feb-22 11:17:49

Yes its every government since the beginning of time has done nothing, but now this government have trumpeted freedom to improve things but aren't doing it - why not???

vegansrock Sat 19-Feb-22 11:22:12

Yes it’s this governments supporters who should be ashamed as they are implicitly supporting this opportunity to improve animal welfare in a tiny way. The fact that other governments have done nothing isn’t the point , THIS government said they were going to show a Brexit benefit by doing this and now say they aren’t going to do it. More lies and failure to fulfil a promise.

vegansrock Sat 19-Feb-22 11:24:01

PETA produced a fake bearskin that was indistinguishable from the real thing but the MoD turned it down., in fact they lobbied for an exemption from regulations banning importation of animal trophies .

Urmstongran Sat 19-Feb-22 11:26:49

Fair point vegansrock I see your point now. I suppose it’s one of the Brexit benefits we could have but for whatever reasons (? Choice, but with deeper ramifications) choose not to.

greenlady102 Sat 19-Feb-22 11:29:40

Farzanah

Ceremonial Bearskins worn by foot regiments and as seen worn by guards outside the palace are real from culled bears. I didn’t know that.

I did. its not a secret.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Feb-22 11:36:31

Fortnum & Masons announced that they would no longer sell Fois Gras in 2021 (article in The Telegraph)

It is widely available on line.

Urmstongran Sat 19-Feb-22 11:38:05

From British Heritage site:

Each bearskin pelt costs about £650. With care, a bearskin cap will last 80 years or more. One Canadian black bear = one cap.

The British Army has tried various synthetic substitutes for the skins, but so far, the man-made fur caps lose their shape in strong winds and get waterlogged in heavy rains.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Feb-22 11:38:11

vegansrock

PETA produced a fake bearskin that was indistinguishable from the real thing but the MoD turned it down., in fact they lobbied for an exemption from regulations banning importation of animal trophies .

The bears are culled anyway.

Perhaps it is the Canadian Government which should be petitioned to stop the culling?

Shinamae Sat 19-Feb-22 11:38:35

Callistemon21

Shinamae

Shameful and disgusting but hardly surprising with this bloody government..?

Shinamae

What about all the preceding Governments which allowed the import of about 200 tonnes of foie gras every year?
Did anyone worry about it then, when we were EU members?

Did anyone protest about mink farms in Denmark?

No, thought not!

Because I had never eaten the stuff, no I was not aware or about the mink so please don’t castigate me!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Feb-22 11:41:34

Callistemon21

vegansrock

The bears are culled anyway.

Perhaps it is the Canadian Government which should be petitioned to stop the culling?

Come in Callistemon21 you must realise by now that everything that is wrong in the U.K. and now world, is apparently the fault of Mr,Johnson along with the Conservative MP’s and all the electorate that voted for them…

Farzanah Sat 19-Feb-22 11:45:34

You can call me thick greenlady but I (wrongly) assumed that fur from wild animals killed for fur, is already prohibited in UK and that modern “bearskins” these days would be simulated fur.

vegansrock Sat 19-Feb-22 11:48:19

GrannyGravy No one says it’s just this government- but THIS government PROMISED to improve animal welfare and now have decided to renege on that promise and deserve to be criticised for that. Or maybe you are one of the apologists that defend them whatever they do?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Feb-22 11:53:10

vegansrock

GrannyGravy No one says it’s just this government- but THIS government PROMISED to improve animal welfare and now have decided to renege on that promise and deserve to be criticised for that. Or maybe you are one of the apologists that defend them whatever they do?

I am not a Government apologist in any way, shape or form.

I would like to know the details of the parts of The Bill that did go through, not just the two items that have been shelved for now

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 19-Feb-22 11:53:35

I’m a Conservative voter but don’t defend this.