Gransnet forums

News & politics

So what if Trump were still in power?

(77 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 12-Mar-22 10:14:06

Would Putin have invaded at all, knowing the USA had someone equally as crazy? In a screwball sort of way there was a balance of power, with Kim Jon-un, Putin and Trump all just as nuts as each other. They all acted like a nuclear deterrent to each other. And don’t forget Trump did make an effort to court more friendly terms with these two.

I can’t help thinking Putin would never have invaded under Trump’s watch. If he had, then Trump would have got in there and negotiated an outcome straight away, he was not a ditherer, he got things done. Whatever you think of him he was a powerful force.

So where would we be now if Trump were still in power?

volver Sun 13-Mar-22 15:42:09

Laugh away.

We'll see.

This person doesn't inhabit a small world, don't be so dismissive.

Chestnut Sun 13-Mar-22 15:38:34

What a small world you people inhabit. Farage is hardly a murdering dictator to qualify him for an 'Axis of Evil'. They have just executed 81 people in Saudi Arabia (that qualifies) and I think Kim Jong-un might just qualify. But Farage? ?

volver Sun 13-Mar-22 15:29:13

Farage for sure.

Slimy, self centred, self promoting individual who has ruined this country for personal gain, and pivoted away from blaming NATO for the conflict in Ukraine when he saw which way the wind was blowing.

Chestnut Sun 13-Mar-22 15:19:58

DaisyAnne

As far as I can see, the new "Access of Evil" comprises Putin, Trump and Johnson and Farage. I don't want anyone to have to be ruled by a Dictator. What a long way apart we are Urmstongran. I also believe you hold an extreme view compared to the majority in this country.

How ridiculous. I hardly think any of those qualify except Putin. Aren't you forgetting some other evil characters we have in the world?

GillT57 Sun 13-Mar-22 13:25:38

Urmstongran

We will never know.
Shame America voted for ‘anyone but Trump’. In my opinion.

if I remember, you were one of the very few Trump supporters on here Urm. Still think that way? What about your pal Farage and GB news being up to their necks in Russian money, still think it is a good safe place to keep up to date with the news?

maddyone Sun 13-Mar-22 13:21:29

It’s an interesting question, but I’m afraid I’m not about to startle you with any deep and meaningful answer, because the truth is I don’t know. Interesting thread though.

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Mar-22 13:18:32

No need to apologise DaisyAnne! smile
(I hope that you didn’t think I was being a titblush)

Smileless2012 Sun 13-Mar-22 13:18:28

I don't think it would have made any difference Chestnut. Putin's a mad man, old school KGB and it's impossible to negotiate with him.

IMO any world leader conversing with him is a waste of time and merely reinforces his over inflated opinion of himself. As depressing as it is, I don't believe any leader regardless of how strong and stable they may be will make any difference.

GillT57 Sun 13-Mar-22 13:11:23

I assumed that the " " was irony.

DaisyAnne Sun 13-Mar-22 13:10:06

FannyCornforth

Axis of Evil, I think DaisyAnne

Oh dear. Appologies but yes, of course.

DaisyAnne Sun 13-Mar-22 13:09:11

Chestnut

Whitewavemark2

We need to ask ourselves why Putin interfered in the USA election thus ensuring Trump won?

If that were true then why didn't Trump win again?

Just because you try to affect a result does not mean you can necessarily overcome the effect the candidate has on the voters. By the second time more people had seen what Trump was.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 13-Mar-22 12:57:56

I thought so but knew I’d get my head bitten off if I said so. Hiding behind you Fanny!

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Mar-22 12:45:31

Axis of Evil, I think DaisyAnne

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Mar-22 12:33:56

We need a very stable and strong personality when it comes to situations like we are in at present. Neither Trump nor Johnson fill that role.

We are in a very precarious situation, I want reliable leaders.

VioletSky Sun 13-Mar-22 12:07:25

I think it would be the same as it was with the pandemic and with his lack of knowledge or understanding, he would run his mouth off and later say "I accept no responsibility".

Nato has been very clear it will not attack Russia, Biden has also said this, because that's the only option as it stands with a country with nuclear defence capability and a leader focused on attack.

So yes, the possibility that Trump would feel his "manhood" was threatened by Putin's demonstration (because Trump moved personally, not politically and definitely not democratically).

The other option is that he could have seen personal gain by supporting Putin. Because he already pulled out of other alliances and treaties that don't suit his personal profit margins, if profit and power were to be gained supporting Putin, he would do it I think.

He set the wheels in motion fir a few world issues in his time in power

DaisyAnne Sun 13-Mar-22 11:46:23

As far as I can see, the new "Access of Evil" comprises Putin, Trump and Johnson and Farage. I don't want anyone to have to be ruled by a Dictator. What a long way apart we are Urmstongran. I also believe you hold an extreme view compared to the majority in this country.

DaisyAnne Sat 12-Mar-22 20:03:14

Urmstongran

We will never know.
Shame America voted for ‘anyone but Trump’. In my opinion.

Goodness, I doubt anyone would have guessed that.

I would guess Putin would know how unstable Trump is and just how much of a coward. I doubt it would affect his decision as that is based on how he sees Russia.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Mar-22 15:36:39

Chestnut

Whitewavemark2

We need to ask ourselves why Putin interfered in the USA election thus ensuring Trump won?

Because the FBI and CIA had by then put stoppers on the interference. Prior to Trump getting elected, they were not aware of Putin’s meddling.

It was Putin who amongst other things released all the Clinton e-mails.

Peartree Sat 12-Mar-22 15:33:42

Even if trump was Potus he would only be in power for another 3 years, and if Putin, who is in power for as long as he likes waited he would have invaded Ukraine after Trump had gone anyway. I think sadly it was going to happen no matter who was in power in the free world. Putin does what he wants.

Casdon Sat 12-Mar-22 15:09:47

What I meant easybee was that the fact that Putin didn’t invade while Trump was in power didn’t mean that it was because he thought that Trump wouldn’t get involved, it was coincidental.
I don’t think any world leaders have friendships or honour in that sense, still less two as deranged as Trump and Putin.

Chestnut Sat 12-Mar-22 14:58:56

Whitewavemark2

Chestnut Sat 12-Mar-22 14:54:28

eazybee

I am not sure what your post means Casdon: two and two don't make five.? Simply a statement that Trump didn't invade when Trump was in power, no idea why he did not, nor why he choose to do so now now.

He chose not to invade when Trump was in power for exactly the reasons I've said, Trump being unpredictable and likely to fire back and demolish Russia. With Biden he feels safe, sees him as a weak leader who will not do that.

GillT57 Sat 12-Mar-22 14:29:45

Funnily enough, as we were listening to the news unfolding this morning, we both said that it would have been so much worse if Trump had been President. I don't think Putin would have held back on a bully vs bully basis because I don't think Putin is thinking rationally. Trump is the only part of the Putin long term plan which is not in place; Brexit 'worked', the infiltration of British politics, economy, sport, society has worked, so the absence of the idiotic Trump is of little matter.

eazybee Sat 12-Mar-22 14:27:12

I am not sure what your post means Casdon: two and two don't make five.? Simply a statement that Trump didn't invade when Trump was in power, no idea why he did not, nor why he choose to do so now now.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Mar-22 14:22:51