Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are the Royal Family losing their touch?

(847 Posts)
volver Sun 03-Apr-22 16:22:31

A couple of weeks ago we had the disastrous PR associated with the Caribbean tour, and now the judgement of the Queen is being questioned, for giving Prince Andrew such a prominent role in the Duke of Edinburgh's memorial service.

The position of the Royal Family depends very strongly on their acceptance by, and the support of, the public both here and overseas; are they losing that?

maddyone Sat 14-May-22 23:51:07

I live down south, on the south coast, and I agree with the points you have made about the royal family paddyann.

maddyone Sat 14-May-22 23:52:20

And nor do I wish volver to be banned for expressing her point of view.

DiamondLily Sun 15-May-22 04:53:09

William wasn't too popular at the FA cup final last night. He, and the national anthem, were booed.

Not sure why, as he's only there to shake hands and present the cup to the winners.?

MPs and the Speaker have expressed their "outrage" - I'm also unsure as to what's it's got to do with politicians who gets booed at a football match though. ?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10816643/Prince-William-BOOED-Wembley-crowd-FA-Cup-Final.html

Anniebach Sun 15-May-22 08:14:47

Reading the link it’s something which is done in Liverpool m
a choir of cancer suffers singing Abide With Me were treated the same

Aveline Sun 15-May-22 08:38:54

Booing a choir of cancer sufferers?! What is wrong with these people? They're the sick ones!

Grany Sun 15-May-22 08:41:45

Thousands of fans booed
Rejected abroad, booed at home.
The laziest, boring, lackluster, hypocritical couple. #princewilliambooed

vegansrock Sun 15-May-22 08:49:04

I live “down south” please don’t tar us with the same brush paddyann I think our system is just bonkers with titles, thrones, crowns, cushions and whatnot. As for the tourist idea, that is rubbish - France gets more tourists than the U.K. - as it the “everyone envies us” - of course they don’t otherwise all those republics would be copying us.

Smileless2012 Sun 15-May-22 09:12:44

Not convinced the behaviour of some idiots at a football match is a useful barometer for measuring the popularity of of PW or the royal family, as they also booed a choir of cancer sufferers.

The didn't boo when he shook hands with the players and handed out the winners medals, which says even more about those Liverpool 'supporters'.

nadateturbe Sun 15-May-22 09:21:22

volver

See Aveline? See what I mean?

Yes, I do!

Anniebach Sun 15-May-22 09:25:09

I don’t think the mob were booing William Smileless , I didn’t watch the match but doubt he was singing a hymn with
the choir ,they too were booed.

nadateturbe Sun 15-May-22 09:34:20

Agree with you Paddyann.

volver Sun 15-May-22 09:36:09

Liverpool fans traditionally boo anything to do with the establishment at the start of big games, I believe. Its the first time the FA Cup has been in Liverpool since 2006 so they were going to boo, come what may.

I don't thinking booing is ever a good idea, but it's interesting to me that a "tradition" that has been ongoing since Thatcher is being framed, especially by the Daily Mail, as fans booing William and a choir of cancer sufferers. Its trying to demonise the Liverpool fans for doing something they've done for 40 years, and to make Royal Watchers believe that William was the perceived target of the protest, or at the very least that it was an even worse thing just because he was there.

I don't think he was bothered.

I also agree with paddyann

volver Sun 15-May-22 09:53:35

DiamondLily Sun 15-May-22 09:58:22

vegansrock

I live “down south” please don’t tar us with the same brush paddyann I think our system is just bonkers with titles, thrones, crowns, cushions and whatnot. As for the tourist idea, that is rubbish - France gets more tourists than the U.K. - as it the “everyone envies us” - of course they don’t otherwise all those republics would be copying us.

I live London borders, (Also in the South), and I certainly wouldn't cross the street to see any of them.

It's nothing that bothers me, although I think an elected HoS would be better, in a modern world.

I find it slightly nuts that people fawn and pander to people who are only there either through birth or marriage.

But, we'd have to pay out, whether it's a monarch or president, so while the majority want them, fair enough.

I think, with the younger generation, they are less and less relevant, so they will probably just slide into obscurity at some point in the future.

The tourism thing is neither here nor there, countries without monarchs get just as many visitors. History and buildings remain.

Mollygo Sun 15-May-22 11:07:50

But I don’t treat them like demi gods. I let them get on with their lives and what they do. If HM handed over all her wealth tomorrow, the rich and famous would be in charge of allocating it and it would still never reach those in most need of it. Thinking it would make a difference is a fantasy.
Also having read about the expenses that some MPs claim I’m not convinced that we wouldn’t end up paying more than you seem to think it would cost to have a head of state.
Finally if we had a republic who would you find to target then. The Royal family serve an unacknowledged purpose for Republicans, keeping their minds active.

volver Sun 15-May-22 11:34:26

paddyann specifically said that its not to do with the money, and its not. Now monarchists can persist as much as they like with the comforting thought that we're all just jealous of the money, but that's not the problem.

Most of us are just angry that people in positions of privilege and power in the control of this country can mould the laws of the land for their own benefit, and in the last 70 years (at least) we have not been allowed to question it. Most of us are angry that the Head of State and their extended family can decide which laws they are going to abide by. (Tax etc.) Many of us are bewildered that we have a whole section of the country that think the purpose of a Head of State is to have people wave at them and value their patronage. As somebody said somewhere else, if a new country was setting up its Head of State with these regulations, we'd all think they were an affront to democracy.

It is completely insulting and completely dismissive of people who want change to say that we only do it to keep our minds active. How off the mark. How rude. How short sighted.

Mollygo Sun 15-May-22 13:41:31

It is completely insulting and completely dismissive of people who want change to say that we only do it to keep our minds active. How off the mark. How rude. How short sighted.
Not at all short sighted.
The research people on GN do on ANY subject including the RF is a better means of keeping your mind active than any of the other things that are suggested in the media today.
Principally because it still implies interaction, albeit silent, which crosswords, number puzzles etc do not.
Shortsighted is if you don’t know that interaction is good for the brain.
Rude?
Since evidently you think anything I post which doesn’t match your pov is rude . . . ???

JaneJudge Sun 15-May-22 13:45:11

paddyann54

Mollygo we'd pay a vast amount LESS than we do now .We'd pay for the President not the 18 other folk in "GRACE AND FAVOUR" homes or the multiple homes that some like Will and Kate have .
BUT its not all about money its about living in a country thats fairer ,where one family aren't treated like demi gods ,pampered and privileged NOT because they are extraordinary human beings with great talent or amazing skills .They are feted and fawned over just because of whose vagina they came down .
That is so wrong .On any level that is wrong because surely we have progressed since the middle ages when it was accepted and believed they had divine rights .
Meritocracy with someone who worked their way to the top instead of being handed the world on a plate is how we should be led.
Sadly it appears folk down south dont have faith in anyone BUT those born privileged and look what that landed us with Boris and hiis circus of inept ,incompetent Eton educated clowns .

I love this post smile

off with our heads

Mollygo Sun 15-May-22 13:52:21

Hands up on GN those who wouldn’t give anything to their children if they had the means or wealth to do so, but would tell them they must work for anything they want.

volver Sun 15-May-22 13:56:00

Don't have any children. Probably makes me able to see things like inheritance and unfair patronage more clearly.

Here you are darling, have Cornwall. You deserve it.

volver Sun 15-May-22 13:58:37

Oh, and while I remember...have this priceless jewelled hat and a choice of which laws to ignore. I wouldn't want you to have to work for anything when I can provide it.

Mollygo Sun 15-May-22 14:03:13

That’s not the question. If you had children would you willing to give them something? If you have parents would you willingly have accepted something from them if they could afford to give it to you and wanted to do so? Glad to see you’re still keeping your brain active with interaction.

volver Sun 15-May-22 14:09:39

There's a bit of a difference between parents leaving their children a two up two down, and one's mummy leaving one several countries of which to be Head of State, exemption from certain fiscal laws, and the ability to be able to choose which other laws one gets to secretly amend in one's favour.

Even my atrophied old brain manages to work that out.

Anniebach Sun 15-May-22 14:10:17

Will anyone who posts on GN to say they have a holiday home
be attacked for having multiple homes.

William and Kate have two, one has nothing to do with grace and favour properties.

Edward and Sophie, Anne and Tim have one home each, not
grace and favour properties.

Charles and Camilla have one home which could be classed as
grace and favour, he bought Highgrove, was willed Birkhall
and the Castle of Mey. He bought a farm house in Wales where
he stays when visiting Wales,

hollysteers Sun 15-May-22 14:13:11

The nasty Daily Fail made the booing appear to be for Prince William when it was for the Chelsea team appearing on the screen according to one commentator.
Trouble makers.