Gransnet forums

News & politics

Death spiral of the Tory Party

(279 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Apr-22 08:08:46

Not my words but senior Tories.

They fear that with the Sunak and Johnson debacle that both have lost complete respect from the voting public.

They worry that this is symptomatic of a political party in decline.

Well, we shall see. But I do believe that this country desperately needs a fresh start and new ideas, with a government of integrity and competence.

Anniebach Sun 10-Apr-22 08:11:34

When was the last government of integrity and competence ?

kittylester Sun 10-Apr-22 08:13:32

Which senior Tories WWM? Genuine question.

DiamondLily Sun 10-Apr-22 08:14:13

It was sleaze, greed and corruption that rid us of the last sustained Tory rule, under Major, so let's hope it will this time.

This lot have made us all stars in their version of Animal Farm.?

Anniebach Sun 10-Apr-22 08:16:18

Blair comes under much criticism on this forum

Galaxy Sun 10-Apr-22 08:17:26

I dont know that it was sleaze that rid us of Major, more an effective opposition.

Galaxy Sun 10-Apr-22 08:17:52

Cross post Annie grin

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Apr-22 08:17:55

kittylester

Which senior Tories WWM? Genuine question.

Quote from the front page of The Guardian. Sources not revealed, but I have heard similar reports from other journalists over the past week.

I am satisfied that it is true.

Honestly it really is no bad thing. The country needs to distance itself from this period of corruption, and incompetence and get re-booted.

vegansrock Sun 10-Apr-22 08:20:20

Just because other administrations may have been lacking doesn’t mean we have to tolerate it evermore.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Apr-22 08:23:00

I have read that senior Tories are thinking that it would be no bad thing to be in opposition for a while, so that they can try and get their house in order.

Mamardoit Sun 10-Apr-22 08:25:05

Anniebach

The immediate post war governments? From times when we were really 'All in it together'.

A big opportunity was missed when Clegg's LibDems proved they had no integrity when they made Cameron PM. We will never know if a LibDem/Labour government would have been better. IMO it certainly couldn't have been worse.

nanna8 Sun 10-Apr-22 08:30:40

Tell you what, I’d pay you to take our lot. Election called today and not one of them is worth a cracker. We are considering voting for one of the batty independents

M0nica Sun 10-Apr-22 08:47:27

What was it Mark Twain said when his death was reported in error? The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated

Same thing applies to Conservatives.

Anniebach Sun 10-Apr-22 08:49:54

Agree MOnica

lemsip Sun 10-Apr-22 08:51:33

well,,
Under-fire Rishi Sunak has moved his family out of his grace and favour Downing Street residence as he faces renewed backlash over his family's financial affairs.

kittylester Sun 10-Apr-22 08:54:23

I do really wish we had a proper 'middle' party. I had great hopes of the last one we almost had.

Anniebach Sun 10-Apr-22 08:58:08

kitty what middle party ?

MerylStreep Sun 10-Apr-22 08:59:24

kittylester

I do really wish we had a proper 'middle' party. I had great hopes of the last one we almost had.

You and millions of others, Kitty ?

Septimia Sun 10-Apr-22 09:03:06

Yes, me too, Kitty.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Apr-22 09:04:10

M0nica

What was it Mark Twain said when his death was reported in error? The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated

Same thing applies to Conservatives.

Whilst I have no idea how many senior Tories agree bout the difficulties that the Tory party faces, I do note that “senior Tories” have been warning of the paucity of integrity and competence over many months.

This will not go unnoticed by the electorate. Indeed if the polls are anything to go by they already have noticed. Both Johnson and Sunak along with Patel are at below rock bottom in the competence stakes alongside most of the cabinet.

DaisyAnne Sun 10-Apr-22 09:07:08

Anniebach

Sadly, that can be said of many countries around the world. I do wonder where Putin's money has gone. Watching the debacle in the Indian Parliament certainly raises questions. The last US government's links were questionable too.

The interesting thing is that if Putin has supported the rise of particular governments it has been of those to the far right and not to the far left. I appreciate, that at the bottom of the Political Horseshoe, these join and become dictatorships.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 10-Apr-22 09:14:02

I think that the real difficulty with this cabinet is, that much of their rhetoric does not seem out of place with Le Pen or Orban, or indeed Polands far right.

Nationalism, anti-immigration and a disregard for international law. Further they all distrust a pluralistic society, and media, all try to manipulate the electoral system.

That is what I think must worry so many traditional Tories.

Urmstongran Sun 10-Apr-22 09:17:43

Well I disagree to some extent. Yes the long knives are out for Rishi Sunak and I’m not sure he’ll survive the scrutiny into his financial dealings. But Boris? No chance. He’s on a bounce from his support of Ukraine. Actually to be honest it makes me feel quite proud how he’s referred to by Zelinsky in such glowing terms and how much the UK is stepping up to the plate. Ben Wallace as his wingman certainly adds to his stature.

Leaks to the Grauniad will be from the usual suspects in the Tory party.

Katie59 Sun 10-Apr-22 09:24:24

Whitewavemark2

I have read that senior Tories are thinking that it would be no bad thing to be in opposition for a while, so that they can try and get their house in order.

Probably the moderate Tories that have been passed over by Johnson, while the grey suits in the 1922 committee have influence there will be little change. A GE might change the government but on balance at present I don’t see Labour winning, Starmer just isn’t an inspiring leader.

BlueBelle Sun 10-Apr-22 09:28:41

Keep trying annie ?
Two wrongs never make a right
There is no perfect government
There will never be a government that suits everybody …but …some are worse than others and this is the vilest, most corrupt crew I have ever come across in my lifetime
I don’t want far right or far left I want some values that don’t divid the nation I want some Labour middle values and others want conservative middle values that could meet at least sometimes
This country is horrible now it s divided over politics it’s divided over Europe it’s full of angst and pessimism

I need integrity and understanding I don’t need very rich men and woman bending the rules to make themselves richer, and laughing up their sleeves while they work out how to get away with it