Gransnet forums

News & politics

Not just Boris then!

(169 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 18-Apr-22 13:56:05

So ... Nicola Sturgeon was reported to Police Scotland on Sunday for breaking her own mask laws, a breach that could result in a £60 fine, reduced to £30 if paid within 28 days.

Only hours before Saturday's visit to the barber shop in East Kilbride, the SNP issued a press release in which she urged Scots to vote for her party on May 5 "if you are as outraged as I am about the Prime Minister's contempt for the law."

Oh dear.
While she too be asked to resign?

I don’t envy the heckling Ian Blackford from Skye will be subjected to when he stands up n the HoC.

Cossy Wed 20-Apr-22 10:54:54

Poshpaws Sorry should have read “with you all the way” Please can we have an edit button smile

Aveline Wed 20-Apr-22 11:24:30

'Fantasy'?! volver you must live in a very different Scotland than I do. The one I live in has a government that fails on every level and works hard on cover up and deflection.
A government that gives 16 year olds the vote and offers free bikes and laptops. A government that suppresses information regarding disastrous education levels, hides figures and wastes taxpayers money in disastrous and ill thought out decisions. It's so bad that the 'communications' team for all it huge size must be working flat out to at least fool some of the people some of the time but they can't fool all of us.

volver Wed 20-Apr-22 11:29:25

Oh, I'm such a gullible fool. sad That goodness for the people who really know.

grannymags Wed 20-Apr-22 11:34:57

Oh for goodness sake anyone that says they have not forgotten their mask for a few minutes are in my opinion liars

paddyann54 Wed 20-Apr-22 12:55:06

Aveline 16 year olds have been able to marry without parental consent in Scotland for hundreds of years .Is it not strange they haven't been able to vote for policies that would enable them to raise their families in a way they want? Like the rest of us .
I think we do live in a different Scotland ,the one I live in has a caring government that has made some mistakes BUT nothing ,absolutely NOTHING on the scale of the mistakes made by WM governments and Boris in particular ever.

All governments should face criticism and believe me they do ,even Independence supporters have issues with some SNP decisions but they are a better choice than any of the other parties
,DRoss and his 3 jobs ,Anas Sarwar with his family business issues over pay or standing Orange Order candidates and as for Wee Willie or his successor ,they are clueless and have lost the Lib Dem vote here .

MaizieD Wed 20-Apr-22 12:58:50

grannymags

Oh for goodness sake anyone that says they have not forgotten their mask for a few minutes are in my opinion liars

Calling me (and others) a liar , grannymags?

Like to step outside and say that? hmm

grannymags Wed 20-Apr-22 14:23:50

MaizieD just stating facts

Wheniwasyourage Wed 20-Apr-22 14:40:25

Aveline

'Fantasy'?! volver you must live in a very different Scotland than I do. The one I live in has a government that fails on every level and works hard on cover up and deflection.
A government that gives 16 year olds the vote and offers free bikes and laptops. A government that suppresses information regarding disastrous education levels, hides figures and wastes taxpayers money in disastrous and ill thought out decisions. It's so bad that the 'communications' team for all it huge size must be working flat out to at least fool some of the people some of the time but they can't fool all of us.

16-year-olds who, we hope, are going to be affected by political decisions for a lot longer than any of us, are quite capable of voting, and some of them may even get into the habit of doing so.

If we want to reduce motor traffic, easier access to cycling (and making it safer) is, like giving under 22s free bus travel, a good start.

Why would you want to stop school children having free laptops? They are a vital tool in modern education, and not all families are able to afford them.

I'm not denying that there are huge problems and wastes of money, but I don't know why you wish to persist in denying that anything good has been done by the current Scottish Government.

volver Wed 20-Apr-22 15:55:43

The "fantasy" is that there are 175 "spin doctors" beavering away to hide the facts from the hard-of-thinking Scots who just believe every thing that the government tells them.

Whereas anybody believing that there are 175 "spin doctors" employed to do that, don't, in my opinion, have a very good grasp of reality. But are willing to believe what the Express and the Times tell them, then think they are the ones who know the truth and the rest of us are just simpletons.

MaizieD Wed 20-Apr-22 16:00:02

grannymags

MaizieD just stating facts

You're not stating facts at all. Just making things up.

And being insulting to people who scrupulously followed the rules.

Maremia Wed 20-Apr-22 19:28:40

Aveline, yes, a Scotland where prescriptions are free and University students don't rack up £50,000 in pre-graduation debt. Shocking? Aye right.

StoneofDestiny Wed 20-Apr-22 21:23:17

I am in the position to live part in Scotland, part in England. I'm a Scot married to an Englishman.
The reporting on Nicola Sturgeon in England is utterly diabolical. Scotlands achievements barely get a look in, and rarely make the news. In truth, the news in England is so London centred, any other news barely gets attention. If anybody thinks Johnson gives a thought about Scotland, they are mistaken. Never forget he published an anti Scottish poem in The Spectator, using the language of the Holocaust.

The reality is I'd be living full time in Scotland in a heartbeat if it came to comparing governments. The Tory Government is morally bankrupt - proven by their support of a PM willing to lie to Parliament and to send £21 Million to a country that is not even a democracy. Do we really think that money will be used to help refugees?

Maudi Wed 20-Apr-22 21:29:30

?

Callistemon21 Wed 20-Apr-22 22:11:54

I am in the position to live part in Scotland, part in England
Interesting - do you pay council tax to a Scottish Council or an English Council?

I know people who do the same in Wales/England, the border going through their properties.

growstuff Wed 20-Apr-22 23:21:53

grannymags

That's your opinion. I can honestly say I haven't forgotten my mask for a few minutes - even now.

MaizieD Wed 20-Apr-22 23:49:05

growstuff

grannymags

That's your opinion. I can honestly say I haven't forgotten my mask for a few minutes - even now.

But you know that opinion trumps fact every time...?

DaisyAnne Thu 21-Apr-22 08:30:09

grannymags

Interesting that you may call those of us who say we behave in a way, contrary to your behaviour, "liars" on GN but would not be able to if we were MPs in Parliament.

You have nothing to base your ignorant (lacking in knowledge or proof) comment on other than your false belief in a consensus around your personal behaviour. You do not, it seems, question your own rule-breaking behaviour. You are assuming that everyone behaves as you do.

You believe your own behavioural choices and judgments are common and appropriate; they are not. Your personal qualities, characteristics, beliefs, and actions are not widespread; they belong to a minority. Even your acceptance of lying, faking, and being selfish is not widespread.

Please do not judge everyone else by the principles you base your life on. Many, most even, do not blind themselves to wrongdoing as you appear to do.

volver Thu 21-Apr-22 15:38:50

I would make a comment but sometimes things are beyond satire.

Nicola Sturgeon 'isn't a successful leader like Boris Johnson' Nadine Dorries exclusively tells GB News

www.gbnews.uk/news/nicola-sturgeon-isnt-a-successful-world-leader-like-boris-johnson-nadine-dorries-exclusively-tells-gb-news/276888