Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where was the Queen on 4th April?

(28 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 19-Apr-22 17:09:32

Can anyone please help settle this?
I know there are Royal watchers on Gransnet. I have a German girl staying with me who was recently in London and thinks is sure that she saw HM in a carriage. Other people "saw" her too
I dampened her spirits by saying it was doubtful as HM is at Windsor recovering from Covid.
Ofcourse she could be right. Is she?.

Callistemon21 Wed 20-Apr-22 15:12:03

Grammaretto

I told her about the German heritage and now she is surprised I know so much and thinks I am obsessed with the Royals!

I wonder how George V and his cousin Kaiser Bill could have changed from being childhood pals to being arch enemies for the devastation that was the first world war.
Perhaps the Royals, and certain politicians, are really not like us. It's that blue blood.

The beginning was rather odd, Britain was not directly involved in the lead-up to WW1

OakDryad Wed 20-Apr-22 16:36:53

King George V, Kaiser Wilhelm II and Tsar Nicholas II of Russia were all cousins with each other: George and Wilhelm were first cousins, George and Nicholas were also first cousins, Wilhelm and Nicholas were third cousins.

The drama 37 Days which is currently showing on Britbox gives a very clear depiction of the diplomatic discussions that went on between the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand on 28 June 1914 and Britains's declaration of war on 4 August 1914. Well worth watching. It's also available on Amazon Prime.