Gransnet forums

News & politics

Richard Branson proposes steps on reducing Russian oil use

(33 Posts)
DaisyAnne Thu 21-Apr-22 11:36:32

He gave suggestions about how we could reduce the oil coming from Russia and, in the process, reduce the price of oil and therefore fuel generally.

You can find more about what he says here. It has been reported elsewhere so there may be more information to find.

maddyone Thu 21-Apr-22 12:00:39

Thank you DaisyAnne, I’ll have a look.

DaisyAnne Thu 21-Apr-22 13:18:02

I'm hoping others can add to this as, not surprisingly, it is getting less coverage than it might today.

I would be happy to do whatever I can to help put Germany in a position to stop using Russian oil. If it has a good affect on the uncertainty in the UK's, and our allies' economy, so much the better.

maddyone Thu 21-Apr-22 13:20:24

Yes, I think we all have to do what we can to ensure Russia isn’t the only source of oil.
I’m bumping your thread as it deserves more attention than it’s getting.

Tizliz Thu 21-Apr-22 13:39:04

I have several times commented that a reduction in use of fuels is necessary but not had any support. I don’t mean just turn the heating down, but less travel, fewer holidays, less consumerism etc. this is coming naturally here due to the cost of living but big companies don’t seem to get it - leaving lights on, big company cars. Why is it necessary to have a new phone every year? Sometimes I feel like a voice in the wilderness.

Chestnut Thu 21-Apr-22 15:54:38

Tizliz Consumerism is a hungry monster. Most people with money are consuming more than they should especially on technology and transport. But also on excessive purchases of things they don't need like shoes, bags, clothing. However, the problem is that consumerism is now part of our society and people rely on it, so if it slowed down then businesses would fold and vast numbers of people would be out of work.
A typical example is the Beckham wedding which was hugely extravagant, but it was pointed out how many businesses this wedding supported with all the flowers, food, catering etc. there is no easy answer.

Farzanah Thu 21-Apr-22 16:35:31

I am with him on cutting speed limits. I have reduced my speed where I can and I may arrive a few minutes later, but can get in excess of 50mpg if I do. It surprises me how many cars flash past (I’m not a crawler btw) well over the speed limit, seemingly mindless of fuel consumption.

Some dual carriageways near to me have reduced speeds to 50 for environmental reasons where they run alongside housing estates, which I think is admirable.
Better for the environment and fuel conservation BUT
bit tricky taking lessons on fuel consumption from Branson!

Tizliz Thu 21-Apr-22 19:08:11

Chestnut

Tizliz Consumerism is a hungry monster. Most people with money are consuming more than they should especially on technology and transport. But also on excessive purchases of things they don't need like shoes, bags, clothing. However, the problem is that consumerism is now part of our society and people rely on it, so if it slowed down then businesses would fold and vast numbers of people would be out of work.
A typical example is the Beckham wedding which was hugely extravagant, but it was pointed out how many businesses this wedding supported with all the flowers, food, catering etc. there is no easy answer.

This is a dilemma when buying veg from outside Europe. Do you worry about airmiles, or putting the growers out of business.

DaisyAnne Thu 21-Apr-22 19:43:35

Farzanah

I am with him on cutting speed limits. I have reduced my speed where I can and I may arrive a few minutes later, but can get in excess of 50mpg if I do. It surprises me how many cars flash past (I’m not a crawler btw) well over the speed limit, seemingly mindless of fuel consumption.

Some dual carriageways near to me have reduced speeds to 50 for environmental reasons where they run alongside housing estates, which I think is admirable.
Better for the environment and fuel conservation BUT
bit tricky taking lessons on fuel consumption from Branson!

That's very interesting Farzanah. I think, rather than just leaving it to the government to reduce the speed limits, we should all be asked to drop our speed for the sake of Ukraine. I'm sure someone could come up with a clever phrase.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Apr-22 20:26:27

Some dual carriageways near to me have reduced speeds to 50 for environmental reasons where they run alongside housing estates, which I think is admirable

Farzanah Motorways near us have a 50 mph speed limit which seems like a good idea if it reduces fuel use and pollution.

However, in practical terms it doesn't achieve that because of the huge bottlenecks and miles of traffic crawling along at 5-10 mph at peak hours in various areas.

Callistemon21 Thu 21-Apr-22 20:28:28

I remember going on an essential journey during the fuel strike about 20 years ago - I kept to 50 mph on the motorways to conserve fuel and it worked but there was little traffic on the roads at the time.

SueDonim Thu 21-Apr-22 21:07:39

Wasn’t there a 50 or 55mph speed limit in the 70’s oil crisis? I’ve just read an interesting article that says driving in the correct gear is more important than the overall speed. Basically, keep your engine revs as low as possible because that uses the least fuel eg going faster in a high gear can use less fuel than going more slowly in a low gear.

Lane discipline, too, using the inside lane to enable traffic to flow more smoothly. Stopping and starting are fuel-intensive. Mind you, so many roads are closed for repairs round here you’re lucky to be able to go anywhere at more than a snail’s pace.

LizzieDrip Fri 22-Apr-22 20:00:19

I cannot believe the hypocrisy of the man!!! He went into space in July last year - just because he could. How much fuel did that ridiculous joyride use. Branson, either put your money where your mouth is - or keep that mouth shut?

DaisyAnne Fri 22-Apr-22 20:34:07

That was then; this is now LizzieDrip. I don't care who comes up with the ideas. If we can save the equal of Germany's oil from Russia, it will mean they don't have to pay for the weapons used against Ukraine. Am I going to pick a fight with Branson if he can help make it happen? Not on your life and certainly not at the risk of more lives in Ukraine.

icanhandthemback Sun 24-Apr-22 12:00:38

Are we to assume to Virgin Atlantic won't be flying any more to save fuel? I think it is a bit rich of somebody who has no problems with money or paying the bills telling us how we should be saving money.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 24-Apr-22 12:03:44

Agree with that.

greenlady102 Sun 24-Apr-22 12:22:50

SueDonim

Wasn’t there a 50 or 55mph speed limit in the 70’s oil crisis? I’ve just read an interesting article that says driving in the correct gear is more important than the overall speed. Basically, keep your engine revs as low as possible because that uses the least fuel eg going faster in a high gear can use less fuel than going more slowly in a low gear.

Lane discipline, too, using the inside lane to enable traffic to flow more smoothly. Stopping and starting are fuel-intensive. Mind you, so many roads are closed for repairs round here you’re lucky to be able to go anywhere at more than a snail’s pace.

yes. news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/15/newsid_2559000/2559807.stm

NfkDumpling Sun 24-Apr-22 12:31:25

We don't have any motorways in Norfolk, and very few dual carriageways (and what we have have roundabouts to slow you down), here it's a better idea to remember to turn off the engine when sitting at the numerous Anglian Water and gas companies roadworks!

soldiersailor Sun 24-Apr-22 14:12:58

I have a simple solution to stop the use of Russian oil. It's a no-brainer and could be up and running within six months. It's called fracking. And yes, I'd be happy to have a fracked well at the bottom of my garden.
Few people seem to be aware that fracked wells are about as intrusive as an average size double garage. The massive dereks and equipment so typically shown in photos of fracking is just the process of making the well and it's all gone after a relatively short time, leaving the well to continue producing for twenty years or so.
The source of much Russian gas is from fracked wells, which is why the not so nice Mr Putin has been subsidising demos against fracking in the UK.

Disgruntled Sun 24-Apr-22 15:03:04

I'm with you, Tizliz - during the first lockdown I was very hopeful for a green revolution, hoping that more people would stop driving, stop going on cruises, stop flying (or at least cut down on flights); hoping that smaller weddings and parties might become fashionable, and so on. But it seems that capitalism is still the order of the day and most people seem to have not only back to the old ways, but are clinging on to them, relishing consumerism. The simple life doesn't seem to have caught on as much as I had hoped.

Petal1 Sun 24-Apr-22 16:25:38

Totally agree with you LizzieDrip. What a total hypocrite. He suggests airlines cut routes that are not making alot of money! I had to laugh out loud when I read that. Nothing about what Virgin will be doing.

Philippa111 Sun 24-Apr-22 17:06:53

Well, it's better he does something rather than nothing, I guess. He can influence situations. I think the following individual responsibility is this: We can use the shower for a minute less every day or so until down to shorter times. Only wash a full sink of dishes instead if fulling it with warm water for a few things. Same with the washing machine. Cook on a lower heat...the food still cooks fine. Buy a pressure cooker... it saves a lot of energy and cooks things a lot faster. Try to buy food from as near to home as possible..Do we really need those mange tous from Ghana? Use the oven to full capacity when possible instead of over several sessions. Take the bus where possible... this is difficult for some, I know ,who still feel vulnerable to Covid. Run several errands at once in the car. Think ahead consciously of where/how you can save fuel. We have a speed limit of 20 mph here so that's a bonus as there is no pressure from the , often aggressive, eager beavers, to go faster. Invest in some very warm clothes...cardigans, jumpers , thermal leggings etc... yes even for summer! My house if often colder inside than it is outside! Take the train instead of flying, where possible. I'm sure others will have things they do... I'd love to hear them.
I've made a lot of adjustments and out of interest, I'm going to take my meter readings at the end of the month to see what I have used.

I heard on the news that the government are not backing projects that have been proposed for 'green' fuel!! Heads in the sand! Who are these people??

Disgruntled Sun 24-Apr-22 17:16:22

OK, PhilippaIII I've given away my car and my tv; I've let my passport run out; I don't have a dishwasher; I walk down to the shops (a small Co-op and a greengrocer) most mornings and stock up. I use Eco products (laundry nuts for instance) and bars of soap and shampoo. I wash my hair once a week at most; I've planted veg and lettuce; most of my clothes are second hand (either from EBay or cast offs); I switch everything off at night.... I'm trying my best. And I'm hoping for the best.

Grantanow Sun 24-Apr-22 17:23:26

I'll think about not flying when I see people like Liz Truss and other 'top people' not using private aircraft. It's not acceptable to cut the ordinary holidaymaker off from going abroad when the rich get around it so easily.

Philippa111 Sun 24-Apr-22 18:48:10

Wow Disgruntled That's amazing! I'll also take on board some of the things you are doing. For Grantanow, I don't think 2 wrongs make a right. But I think it's up to each individual to do the best they can. All the (little) things we are willing to give up or change add up in the bigger picture if we all take responsibility . I'd like my granddaughter to grow up in a world where people aren't fighting each other over oxygen masks when all the fires are blazing, because of the rise in temperature.