Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ed Davey has lost 2sts in 7 weeks‼️

(38 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 03-May-22 20:15:13

Goodness. Is this wise? He says his typical menu these last 2 months (at the age of 56y) has been:

Sir Ed Davey’s typical daily diet

Breakfast: Earl grey tea, no milk
Berries or kiwi fruit

Almonds or walnuts

Lunch: Salad, sometimes a bit of fish

Dinner: Roasted cauliflower, lentils, beans and broccoli

Snacks: Nuts, Kimchi, carrots, edamame beans

JenniferEccles Wed 04-May-22 09:51:52

It’s an astonishing amount of weight to lose in such a shortage period and I’m sure it is very encouraging for him, but these very low calorie diets can’t be sustained indefinitely and therein lies the problem.
Unless he addresses his normal day to day food consumption, the weight will inevitably go back on won’t it?

I’m pretty sure the advice is to just cut down a little bit so the body isn’t thrown into survival mode where every calorie is stored as fat.
The advice is usually to aim for a loss of one pound a week, no more.

Riverwalk Wed 04-May-22 10:02:56

I'm no expert on the matter but as I understand things, if wanting to pre-empt Type 2 then the slowly-slowly approach doesn't work; a good few kilos needs to be lost quickly, and kept off of course.

halfpint1 Wed 04-May-22 10:04:55

I tried a similar change of eating to this type and lost weight but gained energy.
Eating white flour ,sugar based consumer products is the enemy,they are addictive. Once you wean yourself off them the weight stays off

Riverwalk Wed 04-May-22 10:05:33

From Diabetes UK

Type2

If you have obesity, your diabetes is more likely to go into remission if you lose a substantial amount of weight – 15kg (or 2 stone 5lbs) – as quickly and safely as possible following diagnosis

henetha Wed 04-May-22 10:21:55

I'm quite envious! But it's a bit much in two weeks and he might well put some weight back on again

MayBee70 Wed 04-May-22 11:43:48

He had to make a statement about it I guess as people (myself included) were probably worried that he was ill. I hardly recognised him when I saw him on tv the other day.

MawtheMerrier Wed 04-May-22 12:01:27

Rapid weight loss is so often followed by gain - and we all know that yo-yo dieting is the worst thing you can do for your metabolism.
A change in lifestyle and diet not A DIET are the only sustainable options and likeliest to succeed.
I bet most of us have lost a stone or two before e.g.a son’s or daughter’s wedding - and of course it has gone on again.
If one diet solved the problem, Weight Watchers and Slimming World would have gone out of business year ago!

Yammy Wed 04-May-22 12:14:20

As someone else has said it sounds like the Diet devised in Newcastle to avoid Diabetis.
As a lot of people have said it is keeping it off afterwards.
One Northeastern newsreader on BBC Local lost a lot of weight and did not disclose why. Unfortunately, she has put it all back on and more.

growstuff Wed 04-May-22 12:17:03

henetha

I'm quite envious! But it's a bit much in two weeks and he might well put some weight back on again

It was 2 months.

growstuff Wed 04-May-22 12:18:10

Yammy

As someone else has said it sounds like the Diet devised in Newcastle to avoid Diabetis.
As a lot of people have said it is keeping it off afterwards.
One Northeastern newsreader on BBC Local lost a lot of weight and did not disclose why. Unfortunately, she has put it all back on and more.

It does sound like a 800 calorie per day diet, which the NHS recommends in some circumstances.

henetha Wed 04-May-22 13:28:42

Oh yes, growstuff. Silly me. ?
Two weeks indeed!!!!!

timetogo2016 Wed 04-May-22 13:35:21

Does have to put sand on the floors of his house i wonder ?.