Gransnet forums

News & politics

High Inflation.

(187 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 04-May-22 07:11:13

Just listened to the early news on the radio, said inflation is highest for a decade.

Then a quick interview with a couple with two young children, asking how they were coping.

They said, with a laugh, they have had to give up going out. No more coffees, brunches, lunches which they obviously did quite a lot. Nothing wrong with that, but hardly a huge hardship.

I must sound like a grumpy old woman, but so many things that were viewed as ‘treats’ or ‘special’ not so long ago now seem to be viewed as necessities, and not just by the younger generation.

Joseanne Sun 08-May-22 20:36:57

Here

volver Sun 08-May-22 20:38:37

A drinks fridge? Don't tell Boris. You'll never get rid of him. wink

Casdon Sun 08-May-22 20:40:28

Libman

Casdon

Callistemon21

Yes, but going from Rock to Padstow is posh whichever way you travel!

???

Not as posh as going from Barry to Porthcawl though obviously Callistemon21.

Is there really a ferry that goes between Porthcawl and Barry. Ah memories of the fair at Barry Island many years ago.

Sadly only in my dreams Libman, but I do love Barry!

LuckyFour Mon 09-May-22 17:09:41

I get sick of seeing young women with children on tv complaining that the cost of living is going up and they won't be able to manage but they all seem to have long painted nails and often false eyelashes. I don't know how much they cost but it's hardly the most important thing to spend your limited budget on. I passed a large nail 'emporium' the other day and it was packed. What's going on?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-May-22 18:06:19

LuckyFour beauticians and nail technicians have mortgage/rent/bills to pay like everyone else. I hope you are not begrudging them earning a living?

Folks decide when and where to spend their money.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-May-22 18:13:10

Fine as long as their family doesn’t go short as a result.

growstuff Mon 09-May-22 18:26:43

GrannyGravy13

LuckyFour beauticians and nail technicians have mortgage/rent/bills to pay like everyone else. I hope you are not begrudging them earning a living?

Folks decide when and where to spend their money.

I agree with you. Personally, I've never been to a beautician or nail technician because I can't afford it, but there are people who go regularly and keep the economy ticking over - and pay for other people's mortgages and bills. I'm glad they're spending their money rather than squirreling it away into offshore fund.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 09-May-22 18:34:00

Thanks growstuff the U.K. ‘s economy relies heavily on the service sector if everyone cuts out/cuts down on what some refer to as treats I can see many small enterprises closing and folks losing their jobs.

I think we are heading towards a perfect storm with the Captain of the U.K. ship having no clue how to avoid it…

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-May-22 18:35:42

But how to avoid it …?

Katie59 Mon 09-May-22 18:52:25

We’ve been on the perfect storm since Covid came on top of Brexit, now Ukraine, energy prices and food prices.
What next a “Plague of Frogs”

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-May-22 19:34:14

Or locusts. One thing after another.