Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gransnet on the wireless

(61 Posts)
Daddima Wed 04-May-22 14:31:37

Yesterday I heard someone from Mumsnet/Gransnet being interviewed on LBC about the story of ‘ Elsie’, who rides on buses all day because she can’t afford to heat her home, and can only have one meal a day. The representative was being asked how common her situation was among Gransnet users. Now I wasn’t able to hear all of her reply, but am I wrong in thinking that ‘Elsie’ may not be a typical Gransnet user?

MissAdventure Wed 04-May-22 22:45:16

Elsie should come onto gransnet.
Plenty of advice always available about how to manage.
Batch cook (from scratch, of course)
Buy 5 tonnes of potatoes.
Use copious amounts of lentils with every meal. . .
Serve with a healthy dose of shame. smile

Callistemon21 Wed 04-May-22 22:48:16

MissAdventure

Elsie should come onto gransnet.
Plenty of advice always available about how to manage.
Batch cook (from scratch, of course)
Buy 5 tonnes of potatoes.
Use copious amounts of lentils with every meal. . .
Serve with a healthy dose of shame. smile

Listen to George Eustace and buy own brands .....

Use copious amounts of lentils with every meal . . .
All that flatulence produces heat.

MissAdventure Wed 04-May-22 22:52:11

grin
Actually I have seen a video of an off grid set up that harnesses farts to turn into power .
I'm reminded of some comedian or other who said they were so poor his dad would eat an extra strong mint, then the kids would huddle round his tongue to keep warm.

JenniferEccles Wed 04-May-22 22:55:22

I can’t help wondering if the media make any attempt to check claims like this or do they just accept what is said because it fits their particular political agenda.
Maybe ‘Elsie’ just happens to enjoy riding on buses every day.

Callistemon21 Wed 04-May-22 22:59:05

There are lots of Elsies. And Ernests or whoever the male equivalent is.

In the meantime we're subsidising the restaurants and bars at the House of Commons and the House of Lords too. That should give us a nice warm glow - who needs heating?

MissAdventure Wed 04-May-22 23:01:26

Elsie is representative of people who are struggling, I would think; whatever form that takes.

Callistemon21 Wed 04-May-22 23:14:14

If any "Elsies" are reading this:

www.ageuk.org.uk/services/in-your-area/warm-homes
Advice and practical support is available from Age UK.

OakDryad Thu 05-May-22 00:07:27

Thank you for your kind words DaisyAnne. I'll reply properly later today but for now you may like this from Jonathan Lis in 2020, one of the best things I've read to explain Johnson:

bylinetimes.com/2020/08/28/boris-johnson-the-anti-prime-minister/

Polly73 Thu 05-May-22 00:16:51

OakDryad

Thank you for your kind words DaisyAnne. I'll reply properly later today but for now you may like this from Jonathan Lis in 2020, one of the best things I've read to explain Johnson:

bylinetimes.com/2020/08/28/boris-johnson-the-anti-prime-minister/

Good article!

DaisyAnne Thu 05-May-22 09:57:12

Oh my OakDryad - such a devastatingly insightful article. It does mean that so many people are enabling this dysfunctional man to play his games though.