Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should NATO be putting boots on the ground in Ukraine?

(31 Posts)
Neilspurgeon0 Thu 05-May-22 12:05:03

At the risk of being labelled an appeaser, we dare not use NATO forces inside Ukraine, but there is nothing to stop the west arming the Ukrainians either directly or, as has been lauded to already, indirectly by arming Poland etc so that they can release ex Soviet armaments with which the Ukrainian forces are more familiar. I am pretty certain that Ukrainian forces will be being trained by British instructors either close to the borders or within U.K.

paddyann54 Thu 05-May-22 11:59:27

No ,the very fact there are NATO bases surrounding Russia is a problem...to be honest I would see it as a huge problem if Russia had bases surrounding my country,so I can understand it .We cant escalate the war .We need a way out of it

Dinahmo Thu 05-May-22 11:42:21

That's good news because I heard this general being interviewed at the weekend.

Sparklefizz Thu 05-May-22 11:23:52

A former Chief of General Staff suggested that rather than give Ukraine our planes that their air force aren't trained to fly, Poland and the surrounding countries should give them their planes which should be replaced by our more up to date planes. Apparently the Ukrainian pilots could fly those.

I read that this was being done a couple of weeks ago. The UK has also sent out military to Poland to give training where necessary with all weapons.

Dinahmo Thu 05-May-22 11:16:30

I think that if NATO were to directly arm Ukraine Putin would escalate the war because he believes that Russia is threatened by it's very existence.

A former Chief of General Staff suggested that rather than give Ukraine our planes that their air force aren't trained to fly, Poland and the surrounding countries should give them their planes which should be replaced by our more up to date planes. Apparently the Ukrainian pilots could fly those.
Giving Ukraine British or American planes with pilots would be seen as an act of aggression by Putin.

I do think that we should give Ukraine much more support than it is currently receiving and I also think that every country which is currently receiving Russian gas and crude oil should stop buying it immediately, regardless of the effect on their own country.

maddyone Thu 05-May-22 10:58:09

I watch various news programmes, and I read various articles on the situation in Ukraine. I’ve seen a number of articles where journalists ponder the situation in Ukraine. I’ve seen diplomats and high ranking British military give interviews on television. It seems to me from my observations that the Ukrainians cannot win this horrendous war without far more military support from the west and almost certainly without boots on the ground in Ukraine.
Should the west and Nato arm Ukraine properly with the planes and tanks it keeps asking for and should Nato get involved by putting boots on the ground? Many interviewees are of the opinion that Putin will not resort to the use of nuclear weapons if NATO becomes involved because he understands that NATO would retaliate.
If the west doesn’t become involved are we complicit in allowing Putin’s armies to commit the most horrendous crimes against civilians? Can we live with this on our consciences?