Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should NATO be putting boots on the ground in Ukraine?

(31 Posts)
maddyone Thu 05-May-22 10:58:09

I watch various news programmes, and I read various articles on the situation in Ukraine. I’ve seen a number of articles where journalists ponder the situation in Ukraine. I’ve seen diplomats and high ranking British military give interviews on television. It seems to me from my observations that the Ukrainians cannot win this horrendous war without far more military support from the west and almost certainly without boots on the ground in Ukraine.
Should the west and Nato arm Ukraine properly with the planes and tanks it keeps asking for and should Nato get involved by putting boots on the ground? Many interviewees are of the opinion that Putin will not resort to the use of nuclear weapons if NATO becomes involved because he understands that NATO would retaliate.
If the west doesn’t become involved are we complicit in allowing Putin’s armies to commit the most horrendous crimes against civilians? Can we live with this on our consciences?

Dinahmo Thu 05-May-22 11:16:30

I think that if NATO were to directly arm Ukraine Putin would escalate the war because he believes that Russia is threatened by it's very existence.

A former Chief of General Staff suggested that rather than give Ukraine our planes that their air force aren't trained to fly, Poland and the surrounding countries should give them their planes which should be replaced by our more up to date planes. Apparently the Ukrainian pilots could fly those.
Giving Ukraine British or American planes with pilots would be seen as an act of aggression by Putin.

I do think that we should give Ukraine much more support than it is currently receiving and I also think that every country which is currently receiving Russian gas and crude oil should stop buying it immediately, regardless of the effect on their own country.

Sparklefizz Thu 05-May-22 11:23:52

A former Chief of General Staff suggested that rather than give Ukraine our planes that their air force aren't trained to fly, Poland and the surrounding countries should give them their planes which should be replaced by our more up to date planes. Apparently the Ukrainian pilots could fly those.

I read that this was being done a couple of weeks ago. The UK has also sent out military to Poland to give training where necessary with all weapons.

Dinahmo Thu 05-May-22 11:42:21

That's good news because I heard this general being interviewed at the weekend.

paddyann54 Thu 05-May-22 11:59:27

No ,the very fact there are NATO bases surrounding Russia is a problem...to be honest I would see it as a huge problem if Russia had bases surrounding my country,so I can understand it .We cant escalate the war .We need a way out of it

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 05-May-22 12:05:03

At the risk of being labelled an appeaser, we dare not use NATO forces inside Ukraine, but there is nothing to stop the west arming the Ukrainians either directly or, as has been lauded to already, indirectly by arming Poland etc so that they can release ex Soviet armaments with which the Ukrainian forces are more familiar. I am pretty certain that Ukrainian forces will be being trained by British instructors either close to the borders or within U.K.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 05-May-22 12:07:48

Ukrainian forces are largely NATO trained, that is why they have been so effective.

henetha Thu 05-May-22 12:07:57

No, we should not put boots on Ukrainian ground. We must give every help possible in the way of supplying weapons etc, and we should put more sanctions against Russia, but to actually send troops could lead to a serious escalation.
I too can understand why Russia feels threatened, but if they behaved themselves they would have no need to.

Rosie51 Thu 05-May-22 12:14:41

paddyann54

No ,the very fact there are NATO bases surrounding Russia is a problem...to be honest I would see it as a huge problem if Russia had bases surrounding my country,so I can understand it .We cant escalate the war .We need a way out of it

Russia is hardly surrounded by NATO bases. Only 6% of Russia's land borders touch NATO countries. Nato is a defensive alliance, not an aggressive one. They have reached out to Russia in the past and have worked together in many areas and only suspended collaboration in 2014 after the Russian invasion of Crimea.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 05-May-22 12:16:20

I am against a NATO force inside Ukraine whilst Russia is still carrying out its special operation

Even the blue beret NATO peace keepers are heavily armed whenever/wherever they are deployed. President Putin would use this as an excuse to attack NATO Countries.

Gillycats Thu 05-May-22 12:16:55

We need to keep supplying Ukraine with anything that they can use. The problem of Putin’s nuclear threat remains and the situation could escalate. Personally I think we need to start sanctions against those countries that support Russia eg by buying their oil and supplying arms. Top of the list being India and China. It’s time for them to pick a side and accept that if they won’t condemn Putin that economic sanctions will be put on them by the Western world. I can’t understand why we’re not looking harder at our trade with China. They’re a disgrace with regards to human rights.

Shinamae Thu 05-May-22 12:19:09

I think if Putin is backed even more into a corner he will go nuclear..

MaizieD Thu 05-May-22 12:53:46

Personally I think we need to start sanctions against those countries that support Russia eg by buying their oil and supplying arms. Top of the list being India and China

I wish you luck with sanctions against China!

This is not a statistic, just the impression I get as a consumer, but it 'feels' as though 90% of everything we buy is made in China! Our shops would empty pretty fast if we were to put an embargo on Chinese goods...

As to the thread's question, we should in no way put boots on the ground in Ukraine. It would make Putin's day...

winterwhite Thu 05-May-22 13:01:17

Agree with Shinamae.

In the past we have had many GNs remembering the old CND rallies and being opposed to investment in the arms trade. Where is everyone now?

Katie59 Thu 05-May-22 14:08:36

Europe is heavily dependant on other countries that ate potential enemies, China and Russia principally, we really should develop home industries to independant or at least less dependant on potentially hostile suppliers.

If we don’t, one of them could cut off supplies and cripple the whole continent, and in the case of electronics that could probably be done now.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 05-May-22 14:22:37

I understand that if a single NATO boot is put on Ukrainian soil, Russia would immediately attack any NATO country it likes. I’m hoping that Sweden and Finland join NATO pdq. I know it will annoy Putin enormously, but he must realise that he has very few supporters outside Belarus and one or two others.

Pittcity Thu 05-May-22 17:08:26

In an interview several weeks ago a wise Ukrainian lady said, "I don't want you (NATO) to risk the lives of your children to save my parents."
My son is in the military and I think that she is right.

maddyone Thu 05-May-22 17:45:01

Pittcity what a heart warming response from that lady. Bless her soul. But it’s heartbreaking when we see what’s going on in Mariupol right now. The bombing and shelling of innocent civilians including children, and the injured soldiers who we’ve been told are dying without medicines and treatment, and are dying in agony. How can we all close our eyes to this and think only of ourselves?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 05-May-22 18:03:45

I hope we don't see NATO boots on the ground. It would be an act of aggression with possibly devastating consequences. We need to support the Ukrainians but not potentially sacrifice our service people for them. I feel for anyone with family in the military just now.

NotSpaghetti Thu 05-May-22 20:42:09

winterwhite

Agree with Shinamae.

In the past we have had many GNs remembering the old CND rallies and being opposed to investment in the arms trade. Where is everyone now?

I am here. Hello winterwhite.

NotSpaghetti Thu 05-May-22 20:54:59

So as someone who always supported CND I still think it's right to work towards nuclear disarmament through dialogue.
- NATO expansion eastwards has caused even more tensions.
- The Minsk agreements weren't properly honoured.

Where we are today is more troublesome... I don't think we can have meaningful conversations with Putin - but struggle with the knowledge that we are standing by watching this genocide.

nadateturbe Thu 05-May-22 21:18:03

I get what you're saying Maddyone. It seems wrong to stand by and watch Russia to just invade a country, bomb and destroy it and massacre civilians.

What happens if Russia invades a NATO country?

maddyone Thu 05-May-22 23:02:10

Thank you nadateurbe. It does feel wrong to me. I’m just as scared as the next person of an escalation of the war and the horrible possibility of nuclear weapons, or biological weapons being used in Europe or even here in the UK. I argued (in a friendly way) with my son when this all started because he thought that the west/Nato/Europe should not allow this to happen, whereas I took the view that the threat of nuclear war was too great for us to be involved. However as I’ve watched events unfold in Ukraine I’ve changed my opinion. I ask myself how we can justify our inaction. I know we’ve provided weapons, both the UK and others, I know we’ve applied sanctions, and I know we’re working towards being Russian oil and gas free. War is awful, I know that, but I feel so guilty for the attitude of the west, which is doing so little to bring this horrendous war to an end. In the thirties it was ‘peace in our time’ but in the twenty twenties it feels much the same to me at any rate.

maddyone Thu 05-May-22 23:04:20

If Russia invades a NATO country, we’ll be in, whatever the cost will be. That’s why Sweden and Finland are in a rush to join NATO. There’s a real threat to those countries. Putin doesn’t respect neutrality anymore than Hitler did.

BlueBelle Fri 06-May-22 05:23:13

No we shouldn’t …..what everyone else has said quickest way to escalate to the world gone in a puff of nuclear