Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ease the cost of living crisis by making more people unemployed ?

(169 Posts)
volver Fri 13-May-22 09:18:12

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61432498

Its not just me, is it? I'm not dreaming this, am I?

ShropshireMiss Sat 14-May-22 13:28:34

The staff numbers in front line services were run down from 2010 to 2016 as part of the austerity drive after the 2008 crash. The civil service recruitment since 2016 hasn’t been in front line services, it’s been in preparing for Brexit doing the things the EU previously did. So expect waiting times etc to get longer with 91,000 jobs going.

ShropshireMiss Sat 14-May-22 13:35:17

In reality I expect a lot of this 91,000 will come from natural wastage as people retire or move jobs. There do seem to be a lot of experienced people of executive officer grade due for retirement over the next few years, so they probably just won’t be replaced when they retire. So if you are dependant on help from the DWP you better be expecting longer delays in the future.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 14-May-22 13:38:59

ShropshireMiss

No one should be investing more than say 10% maximum in commercial/office property otherwise they aren’t running a diversified portfolio.

I assume you’re not a professional fund manager. Where does the other 90% go?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 14-May-22 13:45:18

Either 91,000 people have been made redundant or there are plans to streamline the workforce, possibly to that tune. Which? At least it’s a reasonable assumption that the CEO of P&O Ferries won’t be involved in the process. A large number who were employed on temporary contracts have left or will be doing so over the coming months as their contracts expire.

MissA, you have clearly come across people like my erstwhile colleagues who nobody recognises.

ShropshireMiss Sat 14-May-22 13:47:55

The other 90% would be in a mix of UK equities, global equities, government bonds, company bonds.
Also property doesn’t have to just be office property. It could be invested in companies that provide big box storage for online shopping, or companies that provide student housing, or companies that provide residential housing apartment blocks in France and Germany.

Zonne Sat 14-May-22 13:49:04

Germanshepherdsmum

*Zonne*, my son and daughter in law had covid a couple of weeks ago, not mildly either, but both worked from home throughout. No change in delivery of service to clients.

Yes but a) they wouldn’t have been able to if they were in an office (more bonus points for WFH), and b) I am glad they had it mildly. My young fit daughter in law was confined to bed for ten days, she was so ill.

Which proves nothing more than the plural of anecdote is not data.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 14-May-22 13:49:09

I think you should stick to the day job.

growstuff Sat 14-May-22 14:02:45

If 90,000 jobs are axed at an average cost of £38k each (with on costs) and 90,000 new jobs don't appear somewhere in the economy, those people will become unemployed. Some of them will be able to claim benefits, which will cost the (mythical) taxpayer. The logical outcome will be that some people will be paid (admittedly a pitiful amount) to be not economically active, at the same time there's work to be done in the DWP, Passport Office and elsewhere. Some of that work will be outsourced to private companies, which will cost more. It's nuts!

DiamondLily Sat 14-May-22 14:09:11

Unemployment has a ripple effect.

It means less tax and NI coming into the Treasury.

More paid out in benefits,

Problems with housing with mortgage/rent unaffordability.

Less spent in local communities.

Possible family breakdown and mental health issues.

Not good. .

ShropshireMiss Sat 14-May-22 14:24:46

Just checked on civil service jobs websitee. There are 2280 job adverts. However many of these job adverts will be for multiple posts, for example one of these 2280 job adverts was for 30 posts. Do Rees-Mogg and Boris know what they are doing?

MaizieD Sat 14-May-22 14:36:19

Either 91,000 people have been made redundant or there are plans to streamline the workforce, possibly to that tune.

I don't think you read my last post, GSM. Apart from announcing cuts to the civil service there is no plan.

Not even any justification for the cuts apart from the extreme tory 'small state' beliefs and the anecdotes of random people on internet forums.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 14-May-22 14:43:53

I am not an expert on the Civil Service, or the management of Equity Funds.

I have run (alongside DH) a successful SME which is now in it’s 42nd year.

*ShropshireLass^ I do hope you make money out of your expertise in investing it would be a shame to waste it, I certainly would if I had the time and your knowledge.

MissAdventure Sat 14-May-22 14:46:38

smile

MaizieD Sat 14-May-22 14:48:59

DiamondLily

Unemployment has a ripple effect.

It means less tax and NI coming into the Treasury.

More paid out in benefits,

Problems with housing with mortgage/rent unaffordability.

Less spent in local communities.

Possible family breakdown and mental health issues.

Not good. .

It seems oddly incompatible with Johnson's fantasy of 'growing our way' out of this crisis...

ShropshireMiss Sat 14-May-22 14:52:12

I just wish that when Rees-Mogg makes his daily anti-Work from home comments there could be a little fact checking type box out underneath letting people know that he has a vested personal financial interest in it dispute to the commercial and office space investments in his personal family trust fund.

AGAA4 Sat 14-May-22 16:17:11

JRM such a bumptious man. He really cares about people?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 14-May-22 18:17:09

If there are to be redundancies - as opposed to contracts ending - then if there are suitable alternative jobs available within the CS they have to be considered as part of the redundancy process.

Callistemon21 Sat 14-May-22 18:18:54

bumptious
Great description AGAA4!