Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our bloated NHS - it’s beyond ridiculous now.

(521 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Urmstongran Mon 16-May-22 10:07:56

At the moment, only about one third of NHS staff are doctors or nurses (roughly 450,000 out of 1.4million employees).

The new analysis shows that the number of officials working in the Department of Health and NHS England has more than doubled in two years, with even sharper rises seen at the most senior levels. Meanwhile the number of nurses rose by just seven per cent, thinktank the Policy Exchange found.

Its experts said the trends showed an “astonishing” explosion in central bureaucracy, calling for an urgent review and action to slim down and streamline its workings.

The findings come ahead of a review of leadership in the NHS by a former army general.

Sir Gordon Messenger has been sent in by Sajid Javid, the Health Secretary, amid concern over the quality of management in the NHS as the service faces the biggest backlogs in its history.

MaizieD Mon 16-May-22 10:56:09

The Health and Social Care Act 2012 and the internal markets resulted in thousands of staff being needed to administer commissioning, ie buying in services and awarding contracts.

This, too... Tory 'reform' of the NHS (softening it up for more privatisation by creating lots of nice saleable units))

ShropshireMiss Mon 16-May-22 10:56:13

NHS Ward Clerks earn £18,546 to £19,918 so not exactly fats cats.

Glorianny Mon 16-May-22 11:02:09

Well surprise surprise! It's how to privatise a health service in three easy steps.
1. Deprive it of money so people are dissatisfied with the service
2. Pick holes in it by sending out information targeting anyone (except doctors and nurses the public love them)
3. Sell it off to the private companies waiting in the wings (because of course that will provide better care won't it).

For anyone wondering what care is like under a private system read Barbara Kingsolver's new novel Unsheltered.
There's a character in it with diabetes, an old man who has feet and leg injuries. His nice middle class family don't have the right insurance to get him treatment. It's harrowing but it makes you appreciate the NHS. (They eventually qualify for Obamacare but it takes time)

Kate1949 Mon 16-May-22 11:03:30

Someone close to me works in the NHS in admin. She said the waste makes her blood boil. She has to attend meeting after meeting about nothing at all. They have caterers in to provide their lunches while they waffle one. If their meeting rooms aren't suitable, they hire somewhere.

Kate1949 Mon 16-May-22 11:04:05

waffle on

growstuff Mon 16-May-22 11:06:32

Lido

Urmstongran

She can’t help herself kitty. She lies in wait for me I think!
No matter.

On those who peddle propaganda rather than facts.

I agree.

The Policy Exchange is behind the initiative to get rid of the current model of GP practices. The idea is to buy out the current partnerships and for all GPs to be salaried. Their bosses would be private companies contracted to provide NHS services, thus providing a nice income for some real "fat cats".

The move would be towards more remote consultations in any part of the country or, as the Policy Exchange suggests, different parts of the world. This would work for some consultations, but by no means all. Gone would be the days of GPs spotting a condition which the patients don't know they have, a smartphone, camera and video facilities would be essential, even for the elderly, the disabled, the deaf/blind and the poor. Patients would be directed to apps and to non-doctor/nurse staff. Patients would have to diagnose themselves and only ask for help if they could no longer self-medicate. Or pay for private consultations.

growstuff Mon 16-May-22 11:11:45

Kate1949

Someone close to me works in the NHS in admin. She said the waste makes her blood boil. She has to attend meeting after meeting about nothing at all. They have caterers in to provide their lunches while they waffle one. If their meeting rooms aren't suitable, they hire somewhere.

NHS admin covers a range of grades. What job did this person do?

My sister used to be "NHS admin" at quite a senior level and worked her socks off. Before she retired, she was doing her own job and part of a more senior job which had been abolished, but wasn't paid any more for it. Meanwhile, she had to delegate some of her own work to more junior staff, who didn't get paid more for taking on more work either.

AGAA4 Mon 16-May-22 11:12:15

The aim of the Tories is to privatise the NHS. Not much of a problem for the well off but catastrophic for the poor.

growstuff Mon 16-May-22 11:15:21

AGAA4

The aim of the Tories is to privatise the NHS. Not much of a problem for the well off but catastrophic for the poor.

Of course it is! Those who can afford private healthcare will probably do better because they will be able to buy in the scarce resources. Meanwhile, A & E and the rump of the GP service will be left to struggle with the rest.

Glorianny Mon 16-May-22 11:17:49

growstuff

Kate1949

NHS admin covers a range of grades. What job did this person do?

My sister used to be "NHS admin" at quite a senior level and worked her socks off. Before she retired, she was doing her own job and part of a more senior job which had been abolished, but wasn't paid any more for it. Meanwhile, she had to delegate some of her own work to more junior staff, who didn't get paid more for taking on more work either.

I know quite a few people who have been made redundant by the NHS. There seem to be regular appraisals which always seem to find someone who is considered unnecessary and who can be removed. From what I have heard many people hate this constant checking and find it very stressful.

AGAA4 Mon 16-May-22 11:21:03

Will we go back to the good old days my mum told me about when she had to pay the doctor for each visit?

NotSpaghetti Mon 16-May-22 11:28:25

kittylester

I think we all love the NHS but we mustn't allow it never to be criticised.

This is so true kitty

Glorianny Mon 16-May-22 11:36:14

NotSpaghetti

kittylester

I think we all love the NHS but we mustn't allow it never to be criticised.

This is so true kitty

No one is saying it shouldn't be criticised.
But if you want your house surveyed and valued you don't ask the property developer who wants to pull it down to do it.

vegansrock Mon 16-May-22 11:47:22

Jeremy Hunt got a nerve criticise the NHS- he was health secretary for 6 years and did nothing except put the backs up of doctors and nurses who left in droves.

BeEmerald Mon 16-May-22 12:11:41

AGAA4 Yes, those good old days. My mother had an operation on her arm done by the doctor. She was lying on their kitchen table while her dad held her down as a pad of chloroform was put over her nose !
Yes and they had to pay.

NotSpaghetti Mon 16-May-22 12:12:01

Actually he did vegansrock - he apparently lengthened the queues for treatment and presided over an unprecedented loss of front line doctors and nurses.

Urmstongran Mon 16-May-22 12:16:07

Kate1949

I read once (somewhere) that in the private sector many meetings are shorter and held standing up. People don’t get too comfy and waffle on!

It’s not support staff I’m talking about (or the Telegraph). I was one myself. A hospital medical secretary, full time for over 30 years. Admin staff.

It’s the bureaucracy. The layers and layers of managers who then report ‘upwards’. The quangos. Those with vested interests to keep the gravy train trundling along.

JenniferEccles Mon 16-May-22 12:16:22

Surely everyone agrees that the NHS has been sorely in need of a radical overhaul for years, decades.
The reported planned cull of some civil servants may help a little, but I suspect no government of any persuasion would have the courage to authorise the massive overhaul which is required.

Urmstongran Mon 16-May-22 12:17:53

vegansrock

Jeremy Hunt got a nerve criticise the NHS- he was health secretary for 6 years and did nothing except put the backs up of doctors and nurses who left in droves.

Got everybody’s backs up. Rubbish Health Secretary.
Nephew of Virginia Bottomley.
Smarmy git.

sodapop Mon 16-May-22 12:22:28

We pay 25 euros for each visit to the Dr part of that is refunded. Also 20 euros foe each visit to Urgences - A&E.

MissAdventure Mon 16-May-22 12:29:10

People pay for private gp appointments, so it's not so unbelievable, alongside those who pay for private ops.
Why?
Because they can't wait for the nhs clogs to turn so that they can recieved healthcare or pain relief.

MissAdventure Mon 16-May-22 12:29:32

Cogs.

HousePlantQueen Mon 16-May-22 12:29:59

I am tired. Tired of trying to debate with people who churn out cut and paste from the right wing press, or use the story of their next door neighbour's niece's cousin who once worked in a hospital and is now the expert on how they should be run. Too many people on here doing the Johnson government's work for them,spinning stories about bloated civil service departments, NHS staff who are somehow not contributing to the efficient running of the service. If I wanted to read a load of right wing crap and be lied to I would read the Daily Mail or Telegraph.

Urmstongran Mon 16-May-22 12:31:15

Probably sorts out the time wasters sodapop. I read an article a few months ago about some regulars with mental health issues who frequently ring 999. They were well known to the call handlers.

Urmstongran Mon 16-May-22 12:33:00

Avoid the thread then HPQ?

Both shades of government are to blame in my opinion. Throwing money at a broken system won’t work.