Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen ,,yesterday photos

(68 Posts)
lemsip Tue 17-May-22 13:17:53

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10824699/Queen-make-rare-surprise-public-appearance-open-Elizabeth-Line.html

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 10:15:29

maddy yes Charlotte was in hospitals for much of Johnson’s childhood.
While Stanley gallivanted all around the world.
He hit Charlotte (Boris saw him break her nose) and it seems that he married her for her family’s money.
A very young Alexander and Rachel were frequent fliers on their own to and from NY.
In France the children had many young nannies who Stanley made to go around naked to save on the washing of clothes.

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 11:16:47

Good grief, I didn’t realise it was that bad. No wonder he’s as he is. You could say they’ve all done very well with that background. I’m quite surprised they weren’t removed by SS but I think fewer children were removed in those days. I hope for Carrie and the young children’s sake that he’ll be more settled now he’s in his fifties.

Glorianny Wed 18-May-22 11:37:49

FannyCornforth

maddy yes Charlotte was in hospitals for much of Johnson’s childhood.
While Stanley gallivanted all around the world.
He hit Charlotte (Boris saw him break her nose) and it seems that he married her for her family’s money.
A very young Alexander and Rachel were frequent fliers on their own to and from NY.
In France the children had many young nannies who Stanley made to go around naked to save on the washing of clothes.

Charlotte was not hospitalised for much of his childhood. She suffered a collapse in 1972 and was hospitalised for varying periods and diagnosed with OCD this was actually a pre-cursor to Parkinsons Disease which was diagnosed in 1980 when she was 40. Throughout her illness she had sell out exhibitions of her art work. She divorced Stanley and married Nicholas Wahl.
museumofthemind.org.uk/blog/a-conversation-with-charlotte-johnson-wahl

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 12:45:53

Thank heaven she married again, eh.

Glorianny Wed 18-May-22 12:56:52

Boris was only 14 when she remarried and went to live in the US, it's one of the reasons he did so much flying.

Daisend1 Wed 18-May-22 13:54:57

Fanny
You have voiced my very thoughts. I cannot see myself other than anElizabethan .

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 14:34:08

FannyCornforth

Sorry, Joseanne, I was referring to boarding schools ; not public schools.
I should have been more clear. Apologies

Also having read about small boys and public schools I am convinced that he is psychologically highly damaged.
Sorry, Joseanne, I was referring to boarding schools ; not public schools.

You can't blame Boris's character on boarding school!

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 14:57:01

I was referring to the book that I mentioned up thread.
I meant that it contributed to his character.
He went to boarding school aged 10 or 11. I don’t think that he had a very happy childhood, did he.

You don’t have to jump down my throat, please Callistemon

Glorianny Wed 18-May-22 16:18:49

I do wonder though if having a parent with OCD makes you want to be scruffy all the time?

Rosalyn69 Wed 18-May-22 16:40:23

My son went to boarding school. He’s fine.

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 17:49:44

My husband taught in a school that was part boarding, it also took day pupils as well. Boarding schools today are very different places than those of years ago. The boarding facilities are inspected by OFSTED and must adhere to certain standards of care and welfare. The horror stories of yesteryear are no more.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 18:19:59

You don’t have to jump down my throat, please Callistemon
I didn't FannyC

It's just that it's a general assumption that children who go to boarding school must be psychologically damaged in some way and end up like Boris Johnson.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 18:21:00

The Johnson children sound as if their family was dysfunctional.

It doesn't just happen on sink estates.

Calendargirl Wed 18-May-22 18:32:06

It doesn’t help that Boris is quite stocky, no matter what he wears, he always looks like a sausage bursting out of its skin.
As for his hair, the permanently ‘ruffled’ look was probably quite endearing about 30 years ago, but sadly, in your 50’s, it just looks like you haven’t combed it.
Which he probably hasn’t, raked his fingers through and that’s it.

Joseanne Wed 18-May-22 19:01:24

It's just that it's a general assumption that children who go to boarding school must be psychologically damaged in some way and end up like Boris Johnson.
I think there has been a lot of assumptions about pupils who attend private schools on GN and this might have coloured other posters' views. Those who have taught in public schools , who inspect public schools and whose own children went to public schools might have greater knowledge of the set up, but that is not what this thread is about.

I have to agree with maddyone about the white ill-fitting trouser suits. Is it a sort of power dressing? In that case, the Queen doesn't need to wear one.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-May-22 23:19:37

vegansrock

One of the good things about HM is that she wears such bright blocky colours, so full marks to the stylists for making her stand out in a crowd. Charles in a navy suit won’t have the same impact I’m afraid.

I think that's thanks to Angela Kelly who took over the design of the Queen's clothes 20 years ago.
She is a woman from an ordinary background with no formal training in fashion design but she seems to know exactly what is appropriate for public occasions like that one and how to make HM noticeable in a crowd.

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 23:45:43

I liked the (possible) nod to Ukraine in the Queen’s outfit yesterday. The yellow coat and hat with a blue decoration on the hat. I know she’s not supposed to be political but……..