Gransnet forums

News & politics

The newest Lottery Winners!

(129 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 19-May-22 11:50:26

Joe and Jess Thwaite from Gloucester won an astonishing £184 million on the EuroMillions.

Oh heck.
I’d hate it. What about you?

Visgir1 Thu 19-May-22 13:44:03

I wish..

Chestnut Thu 19-May-22 15:47:00

Keeping it quiet would simply involve not telling anyone the full amount! Buy houses etc. for your family, whatever, but never tell anyone what you actually won. No-one needs to know what you donate to charity or other causes.

TillyTrotter Thu 19-May-22 15:53:50

IMO too much money to win in one go.
It could have a ceiling limit and players with e.g. 4 matching numbers could have higher windfall.
I would not have gone public.

DiamondLily Thu 19-May-22 15:54:41

Daft people, going public. Their lives will be a misery. I wish them well though.

Mine Thu 19-May-22 16:39:14

Wouldn't have gone public but I guess it would have leaked out eventually...Dont do the lottery for the simple reason I wouldn't want to win that kind of money...

Jaxjacky Thu 19-May-22 16:49:49

I think as said, the chances of keeping it quiet are fairly unlikely, people blab, even family, so instead of conjecture the fact is out.
After my children and good friends were sorted, including private health care, I’d give it away..
We have no need to move, our family and friends are here

Chestnut Thu 19-May-22 17:06:21

Jaxjacky people cannot blab if you tell no-one how much you actually won, not even your children. People (friends, relatives, neighbours) can guess or speculate but they will never know so cannot expect hand outs.

biglouis Thu 19-May-22 17:07:45

I would never go public with that kind of money - not even to my family.

If you want to treat relatives you could hire a solicitor to write to tell them a rich but distant relative had left them the money in their will and preferred to remain anonymous. The main condition would be - as in the novel Great Expectations - that the recipient must never take steps to find out where the money had come from.

I would just prefer about 5-10 million as that would be a life changing sum of money to keep me free of worries.

The rest I would put into a charitable trust.

I would like to endow a few studentships at a university and specify that the recipients be someone like myself - a bright kid from a poor background. With student loans/debt its now harder than ever for promising working class students to have that opportunity. I only got it because there were still LEA grants.

AGAA4 Thu 19-May-22 17:14:57

With that amount of money you could pay people to field begging letters.
Go somewhere nobody knows you and keep a low profile.
I would give it a go and not be hurried into making decisions so that the money would go to those that need it.

Kim19 Thu 19-May-22 17:18:49

I would love it. My ego tells me I could cope and I'd like the chance to test that theory. Certainly wouldn't go public.

timetogo2016 Thu 19-May-22 17:20:11

I totally agree TillyTrotter.
I`m pleased for them,but going public i think was a mistake.

Dizza25 Thu 19-May-22 17:25:47

I think they have said they went public because they want to share their good fortune and experiences with family and friends and there was no way it wouldn’t leak out. They are probably right tbh. Hopefully they will get good advice as to how to manage the situation from the professionals at the lottery.

Serendipity22 Thu 19-May-22 17:59:51

Ohhhhh heck !!!! The postman will be on his poor knees with all the begging letters.

hmmshockhmmshock

FlexibleFriend Thu 19-May-22 18:33:13

I'd love to win a fortune tbh and no I wouldn't go public. I'd be very generous with close family and friends and even my ex husband. I'd have fun deciding what to do with the rest.

Antonia Thu 19-May-22 18:37:21

I don't think it's wise to go public, but as German shepherdsmum said, it would be hard to keep it quiet.

I don't know how I would feel, but there's only so much money you can spend. I'd rather have my full health to be honest. Not that the situation will ever arise as I don't do the lottery.

Kandinsky Thu 19-May-22 18:38:03

I thought twice about telling people I’d won £100 on a scratch card.

Antonia Thu 19-May-22 18:39:53

On second thoughts, I'd like to be able to alleviate money problems for those people who need it, but how to go about it would be hard.

Antonia Thu 19-May-22 18:41:14

I did tell people about our premium bond win though. It was hard trying to decide what to do with £10.

varian Thu 19-May-22 18:47:56

I never buy Lottery tickets although I do have some Premium bonds. From time to time I win £25 and once I won £50. These wins are re-invested. I wouldn't mind winning £1million but I know it is extremely unlikely to happen.

If I had bought a lottery ticket and won loadsofmoney, I might know what to do with £5million, but anything beyond that would be a big problem.

buffyfly9 Thu 19-May-22 19:23:02

Couldn't agree more, my OH and I were discussing it this morning and decided that such a huge win would be more of a curse than a blessing. They must be mad to go public but as you say, if you suddenly start driving around in a luxury car and buying huge houses then it's difficult to hide. I also think your relationship with friends and family must change, would they feel beholden to you, would you feel annoyed if they wasted what you had given them. It's fraught with problems and I wouldn't want that amount, it's almost obscene. The joy would come from being able to help so many charities, hospices, animal welfare groups etc. I note that the winners aspirations are exotic holidays, houses with no upper price limit etc. I didn't see any charitable donations mentioned but in fairness that may come. I wish them well but it is a poisoned chalice if not handled in the right way.

CanadianGran Thu 19-May-22 19:43:40

For most lotteries, there is a requirement for name to be publicized in order to accept the prize. This acts as advertising for the lottery. In our province there have been very few times when the winner was not announced, apparently they have to prove that it would cause a safety threat through the courts.

I also know that the lottery corporations will suggest money management firms and trust companies to guide people with large amounts of winnings. I admit to not knowing where to start with such a large amount.

I would rather see prizes capped at a certain amount, and smaller individual prizes granted, for instance 25 million max, and extra 1 million prizes available.

CoffeeFirst1 Thu 19-May-22 19:46:17

Scary amount of money if you ask me.

I’d not be telling ANYONE.

pinkprincess Thu 19-May-22 19:48:23

The Daily Wail has found his ex wife all of a sudden. Usual sob story about her.

kittylester Thu 19-May-22 20:02:54

Weren't they lovely, though.

growstuff Thu 19-May-22 20:37:16

I wouldn't have any problem at all spending that much money :-)