Gransnet forums

News & politics

Thomas Markle rushed to hospital after a suspected stroke.

(392 Posts)
JenniferEccles Wed 25-May-22 19:16:51

Apparently he’s unable to speak, but it is very early days so time will tell how well he recovers.
I do feel for this man. Yes he was very foolish to get involved with the paparazzi prior to the wedding but then he has repeatedly apologised, and has acknowledged how very stupid it was to trust them.

Anyway perhaps this will mark the turning point with Meghan as she will surely be rushing to his bedside.

JenniferEccles Thu 26-May-22 11:59:00

The purpose of this thread was to comment on a news item, in the same way that everyone starts a thread in the News and Politics section. Did that really need spelling out?
I had noticed that as far as I could see there wasn’t another thread discussing this.
There are differing opinions expressed on here just as there are on all threads.

My view is that it would be shameful if his daughter couldn’t put their differences behind her and be with her father when he needs her.
Yes it has been said that the Sussexes are planning to come here for the Jubilee, but we are all well aware of Meghan’s feelings towards the Royal family.

Galaxy Thu 26-May-22 11:59:48

'But the nation will look after the boys now' Or whatever nonsense it was.

Iam64 Thu 26-May-22 12:14:00

JenniferEccles, do. You ever read the Estrangement threads on here? One thing I find ever present is the pain felt by estranged parents and estranged adult children. Rarely do either side share a similar estrangement story, that doesn’t stop it hurting. Loss is Loss however it happens. We can’t and don’t know the ‘truth’ any of the people involved experience

Glorianny Thu 26-May-22 12:32:26

I wonder do some people regard children as some sort of investment which means if you put money into them by paying for their education you are entitled to so much in return?
I don't know what went on between these two. There is no doubt the MM has managed to achieve some success. That seems to have made her a target for some people. It is a funny world when the only role acceptable for women is that of a victim, and any success they manage brings with it criticism and condemnation.
TM may be very ill, MM may or may not choose to visit him. I just feel it's none of my business.

Lexisgranny Thu 26-May-22 12:58:11

I think that generally (and by this I am not speaking solely about Gransnet members), there are those who have no particular interest in stories about Meghan and Harry; those who think that Meghan and Harry have had a rough ride, mainly as a result of media coverage, and those who feel that Meghan and Harry have brought it on themselves as a result of seeking publicity when they claimed that they wanted a quiet life out of the public eye. I do accept that this is not a rigid interpretation and different circumstances blur opinions.

I consider that I belong to the first group and generally believe that most of us make both wrong and right decisions which cause others to form opinions of us that in turn may be right or wrong.

Personally, I don’t know any member of the Markle family, or the Royal family or their friends. I do think that here are far too many ‘sources close to….’ and ‘Royal watchers’ Who regularly pontificate in the media, and realistically it is only upon the views of these so called experts that most people are able to form opinions.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Sitting on my neutral island, I think far far too much is written on this subject, but as far as I can understand, Harry has never met his father- in- law which does strike me as odd, and exhorting the world in general to have compassion does seem marked contrast to some of Harry and Meghan’s actions towards both their families.

The Markle family have not covered themselves in glory (save Doris Ragland) who very sensibly has not made any press statements, though Thomas Markle admits he made the wrong decisions prior to the wedding.

Unfortunately I cannot work up a great deal of enthusiasm for the Jubilee, but I do hope that Thomas’s unfortunate illness and Harry and Meghan’s reaction to it will not overshadow the festivities, which I sincerely hope will be enjoyed by all.

Dickens Thu 26-May-22 13:11:25

MawtheMerrier

^I think some people think that children owe their parents something^
Well actually I do.
Not necessarily in relation to this particular case, but as it happens I understand Thomas Markle did pay for his daughters education and his career in film production played a large part in promoting or developing his daughter’s ambitions .

I understand Thomas Markle did pay for his daughters education and his career in film production played a large part in promoting or developing his daughter’s ambitions.

I paid for my son and DIL to emigrate and start a new and better life.

They owe me nothing. I did it because I wanted to and had the wherewithal to do it. They were appreciative and have made a success of their lives. And that's the end of it, they are not beholden to me, nor do I expect any 'return' for the gesture.

IMO, once you've 'flown the nest' you and your parents are individuals in their own right. I chose to have a child, and he is not obligated to me for being born or for taking on the responsibilities of parenthood. He's an affectionate son, always has been, and I'm an affectionate mother. But I expect no more from him than the respect he'd give to anyone else.

Thomas Markle helped his daughter, good for him, but that doesn't give him ownership of her.

... and none of us know what goes on behind the screeching media headlines. We are not privy to all the exchanges between the various members of this family, telephone calls, letters, emails, messages, etc... we only know the bits that the media gets hold of, or the opinion(s) of someone or other who is "close" to the family and has formed a view depending on their particular like / dislike of it.

The press will milk this for all it's worth.

VioletSky Thu 26-May-22 15:35:10

I agree with Iam64 estrangement is painful for everyone involved.

We have no idea what wdnt on behind closed doors.

Imagine if all our personal lives were broadcast in the news by someone? Would we really be able to handle that perfectly? Wouldn't we want to address things said that may or may not be true?

Thank goodness that spotlight isnt on us for someone to make a profit out of painful situations

Smileless2012 Thu 26-May-22 17:37:25

IMO any bad publicity this poor man's state of health brings
H & M is on their own heads. When you court publicity and sympathy to the extent they have, and have included the public trashing of your family/in laws, the genie is out of the bottle so to speak.

M claimed that she'd worked to support herself through further education when in fact her father had supported her financially. Does she owe him anything for doing so? Only the recognition that he did so, rather than making out she did it all herself.

JaneJudge Thu 26-May-22 17:45:11

DillytheGardener

I don’t think she is obligated to see this ghastly man or her paternal side of the family at all.

Her half brother Thomas junior and his friends were smoking weed in the living room while she cried in her bedroom, at Thomas Markles house which is some pretty negligent parenting.

Her half sister’s own children won’t have anything to do with their mother.

Thomas jr and senior are estranged and Thomas jr was Arrested in 2017 for holding a gun to his fiancée’s head.

From reading about her upbringing it sounds like a chaotic childhood due to a dysfunctional family. They are all estranged from each other and I think Meghan is well rid.

(I’m not a fan of MM, but don’t dislike her either. This nonsense about her being a bad daughter I think is none of the public’s business. Her father appears to me a nasty self absorbed type, and given the outcome of his other children I’m doubtful he was a stable parent.)

I agree with this and haven't read any comments thereafter

Her Dad and his family sound dysfunctional at best. I don't wish him ill but I don't think he needs to be defended either.

JaneJudge Thu 26-May-22 17:45:52

VioletSky

I agree with Iam64 estrangement is painful for everyone involved.

We have no idea what wdnt on behind closed doors.

Imagine if all our personal lives were broadcast in the news by someone? Would we really be able to handle that perfectly? Wouldn't we want to address things said that may or may not be true?

Thank goodness that spotlight isnt on us for someone to make a profit out of painful situations

I agree with this too.

eazybee Thu 26-May-22 18:55:30

We do not know what went on behind closed doors, but we have the H & M version.

None of the people they sought to malign has made any public comment, other than the brilliant "recollections may vary."

Smileless2012 Thu 26-May-22 18:57:10

I agree eazybee especially about the brilliance of the "recollections may vary" comment.

VioletSky Thu 26-May-22 19:20:05

Oh yes, "recollections may vary", a rather posh version of a very old method to dismiss allegations of bigotry.... racism in this case.

Allsorts Thu 26-May-22 19:27:43

I bet they can’t wait to get that balcony. Recollections may vary, a wonderful understatement of someone telling porkies.

VioletSky Thu 26-May-22 19:34:10

Something that any minority group understands. The impact and pain caused by discrimination in every area of their lives dismissed in one short sentence. Usually by ignorant enablers. You would think with emergeny conferences and expert advisors the response could have been a little more intellegent and thoughtful.

I guess even the Queen, meant to stand at the forefront of British at its best, as a privileged white woman at the top of the caliber just would never understand either.

Still, we have all seen the amount of rug sweeping being done by the royal family lately. So it is no suprise.

Summerlove Thu 26-May-22 20:19:55

I've wondered if "Recollections may vary" is not against the Sussexes but rather quiet support for them. That those saying they are lying are the ones whose recollections are wrong.

wouldn't that turn the story on its head.

Casdon Thu 26-May-22 21:35:53

Allsorts

I bet they can’t wait to get that balcony. Recollections may vary, a wonderful understatement of someone telling porkies.

They won’t be on the balcony. Current working members of the Royal Family only will be there.

SporeRB Thu 26-May-22 22:03:05

VioletSky, are you an ethnic minority? I’m Asian and I can honestly say that I have not experience any serious form of discrimination in any aspect of my life since I live here in the UK for the last 34 years.

On the other hand, I have experience racial discrimination in my country of origin by my Asian boss. It was not nice but I was young then.

I have accompanied my husband to three charity events at Buckingham Palace and St James Palace, no one treated me differently, everyone was polite and lovely, as you say, British at its best.

I think the Queen was being very tactful and polite when she said recollections may vary since Meghan and Harry has this habit of telling white lies.

Smileless2012 Thu 26-May-22 23:16:00

I agree Spore that it was a very tactful and polite way of saying they'd told lies, which of course they had. They had recollections of things that never happened for example getting married 3 days before the widely televised wedding ceremony.

Sounds like you enjoyed those charity events at Buckingham Palace smile.

VioletSky Thu 26-May-22 23:35:03

Most women experience some form of discrimination, like all discrimination, its not always visible but underneath the surface.

I did mention minority groups which doesn't just cover racism, although that is the allegation in this case.

Racism is very much in existence in the UK and it makes me glad to hear someone has been able to avoid it. That is not everyones experience though sadly so I'm not sure it says much as a statement.

For all we know the meaning could be exactly as Summerlove said, although I would argue that would still make the Queen an enabler.

I do not need to imagine what it is like to have an abusive family member say somdthing along the lines of "recollections may vary" when trying to communicate hurt to them. That very dismissal and innability to be accountable for past behaviours or change future behaviour is why we are estranged.

lemsip Fri 27-May-22 07:45:31

Meghan cannot go to see her father she very busy in Texas laying flowers ..
...................... ........
Meghan lays bouquet of white 'peace' roses at memorial to 21 victims of primary school shooting and gives food to blood donation centre workers during 'private' whistle-stop visit to Texas town of Uvalde 'that she wanted to keep secret'

Sparklefizz Fri 27-May-22 08:07:56

lemsip

Meghan cannot go to see her father she very busy in Texas laying flowers ..
...................... ........
Meghan lays bouquet of white 'peace' roses at memorial to 21 victims of primary school shooting and gives food to blood donation centre workers during 'private' whistle-stop visit to Texas town of Uvalde 'that she wanted to keep secret'

In one of the photos online you can see the photographer behind her, presumably Netflix.

lemsip Fri 27-May-22 08:51:57

Blossoming You say ... *I do wonder what the purpose of this thread is,....

do you wonder what the purpose of every thread is? rather a silly comment!

merlotgran Fri 27-May-22 08:52:30

How crass to stage a photo opportunity at the scene of such a shocking and tragic event.

Smileless2012 Fri 27-May-22 09:45:48

You cannot account for something that didn't happen and the best thing to do with a lie is to dismiss it.

It certainly appears to have back fired big time merlotgran and rightly so.