Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hello ‘new Barbie’. ?

(183 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 26-May-22 12:39:19

The first transgender Barbie doll has been launched to highlight the importance of "acceptance at every age".

What, if any, are your thoughts?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-May-22 13:36:38

Grammaretto

Or an elderly Barbie with disabilities?shock

There is a brand of folks who have disabilities, some have wheelchairs, some come with permanently closed along with a guide dog and white cane, cannot recall the others.

Will try and look when I get home (scrolling whilst DH is driving)

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-May-22 13:37:01

Not flipping folks xxxxx dolls!!!!

Robin49 Thu 26-May-22 13:39:19

Maudi

Perhaps an overweight Barbie with a few tattoos would be more apt.

????

paddyann54 Thu 26-May-22 13:39:24

Well I remember when my wee friend who was of mixed heritage couldn't get a Black doll ..times move on and should to be inclusive of all people

Urmstongran Thu 26-May-22 13:39:25

I hear a new version of Operation will be out at Christmas...

volver Thu 26-May-22 13:40:16

I've just been down a Barbie rabbit hole. You can buy Barbie representations of Rosa Parks, Florence Nightingale, Katherine Johnson and Eleanor Roosevelt, among others. And Samantha Cristoforetti, who is an astronaut

Its changed since I was a girl. smile

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-May-22 13:40:22

Urmstongran

I hear a new version of Operation will be out at Christmas...

That’s a good one Urms ????

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-May-22 13:41:42

volver

I've just been down a Barbie rabbit hole. You can buy Barbie representations of Rosa Parks, Florence Nightingale, Katherine Johnson and Eleanor Roosevelt, among others. And Samantha Cristoforetti, who is an astronaut

Its changed since I was a girl. smile

Oh yes, they have marketing and selling little ones plastic Chinese tat down to a fine art ?

Millie22 Thu 26-May-22 13:46:51

Far too wokey for me and I always preferred Sindy.

Petera Thu 26-May-22 13:51:44

When DD was small we resisted Barbie for a long time, but eventually gave in and bought her "Doctor Barbie". MiL, almost immediately, made a nurse's outfit for it.

Riverwalk Thu 26-May-22 13:53:04

And Dame Sarah Gilbert of Covid vaccine fame - highlight of her career I'm sure!

Smileless2012 Thu 26-May-22 14:00:48

Our eldest son was the same Galaxy and I remember the house being overrun with Thomas'.

I had a black doll in the mid 1960's paddyann. I never had Barbie but had Sindy and Patch.

Good one Urmstonngran grin.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-May-22 14:13:18

I had a black doll in the 50s and later two ‘teenage dolls’ which Mum made outfits for, I suppose the forerunner of Barbie.
My son had two Action Men, one white and one brownish. I enjoyed changing their uniforms and weapons around!?

Jaberwok Thu 26-May-22 14:17:50

Our daughter had a black doll in 1971. She was a very
pretty plastic doll and our then neighbour knitted various outfits for her. The name she came with was Cinderella and she was much loved for many years along with other dolls and Teddies.

JenniferEccles Thu 26-May-22 14:18:24

Well it had to happen didn’t it?
It’s all nonsense of course but the woke brigade will love it.
*Celebrating diversity’ seems to be the new religion.
I loved the comment about how an overweight doll covered in tattoos would also be appropriate these days!

FarNorth Thu 26-May-22 14:20:49

So just another plastic fake woman - unless there's a little surprise under the skirt?

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10856071/Laverne-Cox-makes-history-Mattels-transgender-Barbie.html

volver Thu 26-May-22 14:21:04

Its a doll like all the others and its face is modelled to look like an actress who happens to be transgender.

Honest, its not the end of the world.

Smileless2012 Thu 26-May-22 14:23:04

No one's said it is volverconfused.

TerriBull Thu 26-May-22 14:26:08

Slightly off topic but in keeping with fluidity of identity, a man in Japan has decided to give up being a human being altogether and has adopted some realistic dog like, all encompassing canine like costume, not a onsie far better than that. He now wants to live his life as a Collie, not Lassie obviously because he's not real! I just wonder whether he will be accepted into dog only areas, for example a holiday kennel, or whether they the dogs in residence would simply get so hot under the dog collar it would send them barking mad at the very thought of some charlatan human trying to appropriate their kibble shock not to mention howling that they aren't the only ones who have a ruff time! he himself has just recovered from a nasty bout of distemper sad

Whatever next! James Corden identifying as a cat shock oh forgot that has already happened, he did that shite film.

Petera Thu 26-May-22 14:27:53

Ah the 'woke brigade'. Where do I sign up?

Grannynannywanny Thu 26-May-22 14:28:22

I’m surprised to hear your friend couldn’t find a black doll paddyann54. I’ve had mine since the 1950’s. She’s still in good condition apart from her lips which have strangely turned white. My grandchildren still play with her and change her outfits.

Witzend Thu 26-May-22 14:28:52

volver

Here she is. Its clearly the end of civilisation as we know it.

But then I've always thought that about Barbies.

How is anyone supposed to know that that’s transgender? Is there perchance a willy scrunched up inside the sparkly outfit?

monk08 Thu 26-May-22 14:29:31

I had a baby black doll in the 50s the only doll I still have and its dressed in my son's christening outfit.

FarNorth Thu 26-May-22 14:29:41

Friends of mine had black dolls in the 60s although I never did.

Farzanah Thu 26-May-22 14:31:30

Is this thread just masquerading as a woke or transgender bashing opportunity I wonder?