Gransnet forums

News & politics

Health Secretary says no more money for NHS

(92 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 16-Jun-22 15:27:19

Savid Javid has said that the govt cannot continue to fund the NHS because our children and grandchildren will have to pay for it in future.

This is yet another example of politicians trying to cause a split between the generations.

Thousands of people are suffering from very long delays in getting treatment and the sick elderly that do not need to be in hospital are "bed blocking" because there is insufficient money available for social care. According to an A & E doctor on Vine this morning the NHS is short of 28,000 beds, for example.

Ever since the NHS was first introduced each generation has contributed towards it. My grandfather was still working during the fifties and my father started work in 1945, as did my mother. Those generations contributed towards health and social care costs of subsequent generations, as did I (and still do) and my nieces and nephews. I don't recall my grandfather or my parents complaining about this. I certainly don't complain because I realise that each generation should help the next.

MaizieD Thu 16-Jun-22 15:39:11

It's a perfect illustration of a politician telling an enormous whopper.

It really is time that people understood that the government can create as much money as it wants to, so long as there are resources available for it to buy.

So, they're coming into the open about their plans to completely privatise the NHS. And most voters will tamely submit because they believe the enormous LIE that taxation funds spending.

I do not understand why people can't bring themselves to inform themselves about this lie. Or refuse to believe the truth when it is placed under their noses.

What a sad country full of gullible sheep...

This is a fairly easy to read academic paper on the issuing of government money :

www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/public-purpose/sites/bartlett_public_purpose/files/the_self-financing_state_an_institutional_analysis_of_government_expenditure_revenue_collection_and_debt_issuance_operations_in_the_united_kingdom.pdf

HousePlantQueen Thu 16-Jun-22 15:44:13

Or is this the latest controversy to distract the electorate? I am in a state of constant disbelief. I wonder how many posts it will take on this thread before we get the comments about the 'unworthy ill' those who are supposedly abusing the NHS by being drug or alcohol dependent, or by being obese, when we know that the NHS is only for people who have worked hard all their lives and now need a new hip. Sorry. I get so irritated when the electorate turn on each other rather than the bastards who have caused all this. angry As you were

growstuff Thu 16-Jun-22 15:54:45

I read this a couple of days ago. Javid said that the NHS had be become more "efficient" - that will include more people being seen by less qualified staff (as in the documentary) and/or people not being able to have treatment for anything not live-threatening and forcing them to pay for private care.

growstuff Thu 16-Jun-22 15:55:38

I don't think it is HousePlantQueen. This has been the direction for ages.

growstuff Thu 16-Jun-22 15:58:24

Front page of the NHS 1948 Information Leaflet issued to every household at the start of the NHS February 1948

growstuff Thu 16-Jun-22 15:59:28

"It will provide you with all medical, dental and nursing care. Everyone – rich or poor, man, woman or child-can use it or any part of it. There are no charges, except for a few special items. There are no insurance qualifications. But it is not a “charity”. You are all paying for it, mainly as taxpayers, and it will relieve your money worries in time of illness."

nadateturbe Thu 16-Jun-22 15:59:47

I get so irritated when the electorate turn on each other rather than the bastards who have caused all this.
I do too.

Glorianny Thu 16-Jun-22 16:10:14

This would be the same NHS we all stood on the doorstep and clapped for wouldn't it? The Tories have been running it down for years so they can tell everyone how inefficient it is and bring in the American companies waiting to cash in. In 2015 70Tory MPs had links to private healthcare companies www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/selling-nhs-profit-full-list-4646154
It's probably even more now!

vegansrock Thu 16-Jun-22 16:12:44

What about the £350m a week for the NHS which we would be saving after Brexit?

HousePlantQueen Thu 16-Jun-22 16:15:17

Just a quick reminder that the demonised Corbyn warned us all about this pre 2019, and was dismissed.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nhs-trade-deal-trump-corbyn-brexit-general-election-manifesto-a9219566.html

MaizieD Thu 16-Jun-22 16:20:28

vegansrock

What about a government that could find £37billion in a drawer and waste it all on track and trace and its donor mates at no cost whatsoever to 'the taxpayer'

There is a magic money tree, the government knows exactly where to find it and has no intention of using it for the good of the UK

Kim19 Thu 16-Jun-22 16:42:10

If only they would use the current budget more diligently. Waste beyond belief.

flump Thu 16-Jun-22 16:43:44

I feel a rant coming on!

The current Tory government, for some reason known only to themselves, seem to think that the American way of handling things is the right path to take. It is not. Those Americans, who have been shown or experienced other cultures, are very much in favour of the way health care in the UK and other European countries is funded. Look at a chart for world healthcare and the USA pays more for fewer good outcomes. Yet, this right-wing kakistocracy want to take the UK in that direction. They are either completely mad or they don't really give a damn for anyone else but themselves. Or both! angry

growstuff Thu 16-Jun-22 16:47:20

Kim19

Such as?

MaizieD Thu 16-Jun-22 16:52:25

growstuff

Kim19

Such as?

Here we go...?

I don't think a bit of waste (inevitable in any very large corporation or institution) accounts for 6 million people on waiting lists and rising..

Kim19 Thu 16-Jun-22 16:55:10

In my limited experience as a volunteer, admin, concerences, entertainment.

growstuff Thu 16-Jun-22 17:13:11

OK! So how would eliminating the waste you've personally experienced enable the NHS to cut down waiting lists and provide a better service, especially in primary care (GPs)?

www.theguardian.com/society/ng-interactive/2016/feb/08/how-much-have-i-cost-the-nhs

Here are some average costs for NHS treatment (from 2016). I don't know what the average per patient is, but let's say £1,000. To treat the 6 million people currently on waiting lists would cost £6 billion. How could the NHS save that much on waste? - and that's before improving GP services and replacing delapidated hospitals.

Calendargirl Thu 16-Jun-22 17:22:01

growstuff

"It will provide you with all medical, dental and nursing care. Everyone – rich or poor, man, woman or child-can use it or any part of it. There are no charges, except for a few special items. There are no insurance qualifications. But it is not a “charity”. You are all paying for it, mainly as taxpayers, and it will relieve your money worries in time of illness."

But this is nearly 75 years ago.

So many more treatments, operations, procedures, tests, scans, available nowadays. It must have been so much simpler then.

And much cheaper. Just thinking of dental treatment. There would be fillings, extractions, false teeth. No implants, crowns, root canal treatments surely?

TillyTrotter Thu 16-Jun-22 17:40:10

You are right Calendargirl , but also life expectancy has lengthened and the population has grown immensely.
The sums just don’t add up unless the Government pour more funds in. Which they don’t seem to want to do.

GagaJo Thu 16-Jun-22 17:43:16

HousePlantQueen

Just a quick reminder that the demonised Corbyn warned us all about this pre 2019, and was dismissed.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-nhs-trade-deal-trump-corbyn-brexit-general-election-manifesto-a9219566.html

Thank you! He said on live TV, in interview with BJ, that the Tories wanted to do away with the NHS and Boris lied.

It makes me so angry. All those who chose to believe the Tories, because they 'Just couldn't vote for Corbyn.' did this.

growstuff Thu 16-Jun-22 17:53:10

TillyTrotter

You are right Calendargirl , but also life expectancy has lengthened and the population has grown immensely.
The sums just don’t add up unless the Government pour more funds in. Which they don’t seem to want to do.

Don't forget that it's our money the government is deciding not to spend. The government isn't being generous when it funds the NHS. It's deciding how to allocate the country's wealth. Working people pay a far higher percentage of their income in National Insurance, so the money should be there.

PS. Maizie will be along to tell me that the government can spend what it wants anyway - it chooses not to spend on healthcare for everybody.

growstuff Thu 16-Jun-22 17:57:11

There was an article a couple of days ago about higher education (university) places. Apparently, it's going to be harder than ever to get a place to study medicine and dentistry? Why? The government has promised 6,000 more doctors - surely it needs to start by funding extra places at medical schools.

TillyTrotter Thu 16-Jun-22 18:46:09

On Midlands news yesterday 500 new paramedics are being recruited in this area.
There is money and as growstuff says the Government decides where it is spent.

Jane43 Thu 16-Jun-22 18:51:21

vegansrock

That lie was the reason many people voted leave, dreamed up by Dominic Cummings.