Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Charles has jeopardised his reign. amoneyccepting

(304 Posts)
lemsip Sun 26-Jun-22 12:25:09

Further controversy is the last thing the Royal Family needs right now. But, once again, the Prince of Wales’s willingness to accept large sums of money from controversial foreign businessmen and politicians has plunged the heir to the throne into murky waters
Bags stuffed with money like a scene from Only Fools and
www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10953305/TOM-BOWER-Prince-Charles-jeopardised-reign-Del-Boy-esque-bags-stuffed-money.html

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 14:27:54

Elegran

It is very interesting that there is currently a rash of articles, TV progs etc throwing shit in the direction of the RF. Some of it has obvious roots, some appears to have been dug up from antiquity and embellished, and presented gleefully by the hungry media. Lots of rumour, lots of spin.

Could the "revelations" have some connection with the possible imminence of a change of monarch? Could the sources be republican and/or political? Could our illustrious PM have a finger in the pie?

Damn those pesky republicans. Coming round here, telling the truth... wink

Joseanne Sun 26-Jun-22 14:31:05

What I find galling is that every time I buy a property I am thoroughly checked out for money laundering and asked lots of questions about any links to government, yet all these oligarchs and sheikhs and royalty etc can just waltz in and put dodgy cash on the table.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 26-Jun-22 14:34:25

I imagine if some BigWig arrived at PCs office with Aldi carrier bags stuffed with old banknotes, he would have summoned a minion to take it away before he got with 10 feet of anything as ghastly as cash. The minions would then have taken it away and accounted for it properly (as they have said they did).

I’m sure if anyone turned up on my doorstep with carrier bags full of cash I would do the same, after counting it over a cup of tea and a slice of cake…….

Old news.

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 14:35:17

3 times?

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 14:36:48

volver

Those saying they have given cash to charities in the past. Was it 3 million euros in 500€ notes, stuffed in a Fortnum and Mason's bag??

Much of it was Singapore dollars.
It was a Harrod's bag if I remember.

We were given a bag containing some old £1 coins the other day to give in payment to someone!
How long has he had those stashed? Were they counterfeit?

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 14:43:35

Joseanne

What I find galling is that every time I buy a property I am thoroughly checked out for money laundering and asked lots of questions about any links to government, yet all these oligarchs and sheikhs and royalty etc can just waltz in and put dodgy cash on the table.

Oh yes, I remember wanting to transfer money overseas years ago and was given a form to fill out in the bank in case I was money laundering; I said I'd take the form away and bring it back later but the bank clerk said she had to stand there and watch me fill it out and sign it.

I'm sure the charities concerned have made sure nothing illegal took place and due process was followed by them.

Fawcett was a dodgy character and is no longer head of the Foundation.

Old news, designed to take the heat off the would-be King of the World.
I expect he has his designs on becoming President of the United Kingdom.

Be careful what you wish for.

Grany Sun 26-Jun-22 14:46:08

Interesting to know how this money was banked and if the bank itself, where large sums of cash are lodged, asked for proof of where it had come from. If you or I walked into a bank with 10k in cash you can get the money laundering laws would have been enforced and we would have received a visit from the appropriate authorities. This shows more than Charlie misbehaving. I wonder how many suitcases full of unquestioned cash the Tories have lodged into their various accounts. The whole system is, like the UK Government, rotten to the core and needs to be dismantled.

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 14:47:45

Ohh, interesting.

The fact that the future King is not very good with money, means that we have to watch out for people who want to be president.

That's a new one.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 14:49:20

Not what I said.

Grammaretto Sun 26-Jun-22 14:52:55

3 million euros. That wouldn't buy much real estate in London. It sounds rather a little in return for a Knighthood. Perhaps it was the tip?

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 14:55:29

And why € not £

All in old, discontinued £ coins!

Grany Sun 26-Jun-22 15:06:53

Is the monarchy corrupt?

DiamondLily Sun 26-Jun-22 15:34:18

A senior member of the RF, Monarch or heir, receiving cash in carrier bags or suitcases, from a dubious source, regardless of what it's supposedly for, is never going to be a good look.

Especially when someone like Michael Fawcett is involved.

Stupid of Charles to expose himself, and the monarchy, to these concerns and questions.?

Antonia Sun 26-Jun-22 16:46:48

Elegran

It is very interesting that there is currently a rash of articles, TV progs etc throwing shit in the direction of the RF. Some of it has obvious roots, some appears to have been dug up from antiquity and embellished, and presented gleefully by the hungry media. Lots of rumour, lots of spin.

Could the "revelations" have some connection with the possible imminence of a change of monarch? Could the sources be republican and/or political? Could our illustrious PM have a finger in the pie?

That's very perceptive Elegant. It's strange timing, and the kind of thing that's easy to hint at wrongdoing where there probably isn't any.

It conjures up an image of a furtive Prince Charles, wearing sunglasses and glancing over his shoulder before scurrying away with bags of ill gotten dosh. Great media fodder.

Antonia Sun 26-Jun-22 16:47:57

Sorry, Elegran not Elegant. (Although you probably are!)grin

Elegran Sun 26-Jun-22 19:06:04

Grany

Is the monarchy corrupt?

Grany If Prince Charles were in the habit of exchanging favours and/or honours for money, there are more subtle ways of doing it than sending your aide to pick up a suitcase or several carrier bags full of banknotes.

He has never given the impression of being a criminal mastermind capable of planning and carrying out the manoevres necessary for selling royal favours to the highest bidders - I suppose it is just possible that he has been hiding his devious intellect from us for the last seventy-odd years so that he can plot without falling under suspicion, but I doubt it.

A few other points might make one think that it is unlikely.

He can expect to inherit plenty of dosh from his mother, and already has a good income from the Duchy of Cornwall, which you have yourself have commented on more than once. If there have been irregular dealings, they is more likely to have been by an employee who saw a chance to benefit from his position close to the heir to the throne. The aide in question has left Royal employment, incidentally.

He does not, unlike his brother, have expensive and somewhat decadent hobbies which could lead to him needing ready and untraceable cash at short notice.

His education has not been as academic or cerebral as has William's, but it has been suitable for a "British gentleman" and while various criticisms have been thrown at him, I haven't heard any accusations of being "ungentlemanly" in anything except his three-cornered love life (which involved the heart, not financial honesty)

Elegran Sun 26-Jun-22 19:07:06

Antonia I wish I were Elegant!

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 19:08:51

His education has not been as academic or cerebral as has William's,

William has a 2:1 in Geography. Very nice, I'm not doing it down, but not exactly what I'd call cerebral.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 19:12:46

It conjures up an image of a furtive Prince Charles, wearing sunglasses and glancing over his shoulder before scurrying away with bags of ill gotten dosh. Great media fodder.

Burglar Bill

Joseanne Sun 26-Jun-22 19:21:55

volver

^His education has not been as academic or cerebral as has William's,^

William has a 2:1 in Geography. Very nice, I'm not doing it down, but not exactly what I'd call cerebral.

Out of interest, is that a BA or a BSc William got at St. Andrews? I'm not familiar with Scottish unis.
Our eldest son achieved a Cardiff BSc first class in Geography, then a MSc and is now a chartered geologist. I say that is pretty cerebral.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 19:22:59

William has a 2:1 in Geography. Very nice, I'm not doing it down, but not exactly what I'd call cerebral

Yes you are.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 19:24:17

Prince Charles entered Trinity College, Cambridge in 1967, where he read history, archaeology and anthropology and graduated with a 2:2 degree in 1970. This was the first time in history that a British monarch or heir to the throne had completed a university degree.

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 19:25:49

Callistemon21

^William has a 2:1 in Geography. Very nice, I'm not doing it down, but not exactly what I'd call cerebral^

Yes you are.

Whatever.

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 19:26:53

Joseanne

volver

His education has not been as academic or cerebral as has William's,

Out of interest, is that a BA or a BSc William got at St. Andrews? I'm not familiar with Scottish unis.
Our eldest son achieved a Cardiff BSc first class in Geography, then a MSc and is now a chartered geologist. I say that is pretty cerebral.

MA.

Undergraduate degree.

Beautful Sun 26-Jun-22 19:27:27

Who would want to carry that amount of money around with them ... what would have happened if lost or stolen ... also would inurance have paid out if insured ... I wonder !