Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Charles has jeopardised his reign. amoneyccepting

(303 Posts)
lemsip Sun 26-Jun-22 12:25:09

Further controversy is the last thing the Royal Family needs right now. But, once again, the Prince of Wales’s willingness to accept large sums of money from controversial foreign businessmen and politicians has plunged the heir to the throne into murky waters
Bags stuffed with money like a scene from Only Fools and
www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10953305/TOM-BOWER-Prince-Charles-jeopardised-reign-Del-Boy-esque-bags-stuffed-money.html

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Jun-22 12:33:11

Why do these people have no sense of judgement? Don’t normal standards or principles apply to them? (Don’t answer that)
It must be to do with being surrounded by yes-men, fawning courtiers, minions who do not ever question them.
How I miss the D of E - he would have sorted Charles, Harry, Andrew et al out. .

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-22 12:34:30

Wonder if Charles met this sheik in a London park or cafe,

Doubt the sheik walked into Clarence House carrying carrier bags

MaizieD Sun 26-Jun-22 12:41:17

I just find this completely baffling. What a completely bizarre thing to do. Why not just tell the 'donor' to donate to his charity in the more normal way of transferring a sum to its bank account? This sounds like being involved in a money laundering operation...

Awaiting the 'other side's' explanation with interest...

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 12:46:12

Where are all those who would cry "It's in the Daily Mail, it must be lies!"
?

Fawcett too? Must be dodgy then.

Do we just think of all the young people who have been helped by this money for charity in exchange for an OBE then knighthood (honorary) which some say is outdated or meaningless anyway?

Or condemn the subterfuge by a future HofS?

hmm

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 12:47:03

Why not just tell the 'donor' to donate to his charity in the more normal way of transferring a sum to its bank account?
Yes, that's the odd part.

Anniebach Sun 26-Jun-22 12:55:52

Did the sheik draw the money from a bank and asked for the money to be put in carrier bags and a suitcase

Elegran Sun 26-Jun-22 13:09:22

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that Charles is stupid enough to accept carrier bags full of used notes!!! It has the smell of a frame-up, to me, particularly coming when Charles' succession to the throne can't be far off now, and when he has just more or less told Commonwealth countries that it is up to them whether they keep the monarchy.

I note that the article says that " . . Fawcett [an aide] allegedly offered to help a Saudi billionaire upgrade his honorary CBE to a knighthood and support his application for British citizenship in exchange for ‘generous’ donations to the foundation." I assume that in publishing this accusation, the Mail has evidence that Fawcett did this on the explicit orders of Charles, not off his own bat? They are playing with fire if they don't. Libel is against the law.

Grany Sun 26-Jun-22 13:14:15

The Sunday Times reported it was one of three cash donations from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim totalling €3m handed over between 2011 and 2015.

Clarence House has responded saying all the money was passed immediately to one of the prince's charities and all correct processes were followed.

There is no suggestion the payments were illegal.

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 13:19:45

So in summary...

Clarence House has confirmed that cash was handed over to the Prince, on more than one occasion, and this was all happening while the DoE was alive, and so Charles is actually stupid enough to accept it.

People thinking that Charles is a paragon of virtue when it comes to behaving with probity, or that what it needs is his dad to sort him out, might want to consider what else they are getting wrong about the RF.

lemsip Sun 26-Jun-22 13:25:15

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/charles-accepted-1m-cash-in-suitcase-from-sheikh-j2pgnfsgx

Prince Charles took 'bags stuffed with money' from Qatari Sheikhhttps://www.express.co.uk › News › Royal
9 minutes ago — PRINCE CHARLES reportedly accepted large sums of charity money from a controversial Qatari politician who handed him bags stuffed with cash.

news.sky.com/story/prince-charles-accepted-carrier-bag-full-of-cash-as-a-charity-donation-from-qatar-ex-pm-claims-sunday-times-12640561
for the doubters...

Baggs Sun 26-Jun-22 13:28:19

and so Charles is actually stupid enough to accept it

It has long been evident that Charles is stupid.

Parsley3 Sun 26-Jun-22 13:30:04

I don’t think I want a man who happily accepts large cash donations from anyone to be my Head Of State. Clarence House has confirmed that this has taken place and I would hope that part of the correct processes ruled out the prospect of money laundering.

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 13:35:54

I don't think Charles has acted illegally, or diverted any of the money. Maybe I'm innocent wink. But who thinks its acceptable to take bags of cash from other people, even for charity? On more than one occasion? Someone with very little grip on how the world works, I think. Someone who doesn't think that anything they do might be considered dubious.

DaisyAnne Sun 26-Jun-22 13:37:46

There is no suggestion that anything about these payments was illegal.

Any chance of the OP asking GN to change the headline? Either "Do you think" or "Could this" at the beginning would do. Learn the lesson from the papers and make it a question then it cannot be seen as the spreading of lies (possible libel as it has now been published).

Statement from Clarance House:

Charitable donations received from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim were passed immediately to one of the prince's charities who carried out the appropriate governance and have assured us that all the correct processes were followed.

Statement from Sir Ian Cheshire, PWCF chairman:

At a few hours notice from The Sunday Times, we have checked into this event in the past, and confirm that the previous trustees of PWCF discussed the governance and donor relationship, (confirming that the donor was a legitimate and verified counterparty) and our auditors signed off on the donation after a specific enquiry during the audit. There was no failure of governance.

The donation was made in cash and that was the donor's choice.

As it was a rehash of an old story and first went around the right-wing, Conservative supporting media, I imagine this was another deflection from the current news.

Either that or Johnson is actually aiming to be World King and is starting with the UK grin

Just to keep everything above board. I will declare an interest as I, too, have given cash to charities in the past.

RichmondPark Sun 26-Jun-22 13:42:06

If you were Boris Johnson and your lifelong aim is to be King of the World, removing the man actually destined to actually be King of a big chunk of the world would surely be a key part of your plan.

The Johnson supporting media could be very useful in ruining the person standing in your way.

Getting rid of or rubbishing the powers that be such as bishops, judges, senior civil servants, medical advisors etc seems to be very much in progress and would leave a clear field for a narcissistic dictator.

Jaxjacky Sun 26-Jun-22 13:45:44

Excellent post DaisyAnne
Where I come from it’s called s**t stirring.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 26-Jun-22 13:49:09

Must be a no news day to put something that happened years ago on the front pages.

It’s just a distraction…

Grany Sun 26-Jun-22 13:50:01

And no one batted an eyelid.
Have other royals received eye wateringly large donations in cash?

Will anyone with clout investigate?
Will we ever know?

Was he able to use Charles as a channel for influencing the UK government or to gain inside knowledge of government business?"

Republic is demanding full disclosure from Charles and the government.

Summerlove Sun 26-Jun-22 13:59:42

volver

I don't think Charles has acted illegally, or diverted any of the money. Maybe I'm innocent wink. But who thinks its acceptable to take bags of cash from other people, even for charity? On more than one occasion? Someone with very little grip on how the world works, I think. Someone who doesn't think that anything they do might be considered dubious.

This is where I fall on it

DaisyAnne Sun 26-Jun-22 14:04:07

RichmondPark

If you were Boris Johnson and your lifelong aim is to be King of the World, removing the man actually destined to actually be King of a big chunk of the world would surely be a key part of your plan.

The Johnson supporting media could be very useful in ruining the person standing in your way.

Getting rid of or rubbishing the powers that be such as bishops, judges, senior civil servants, medical advisors etc seems to be very much in progress and would leave a clear field for a narcissistic dictator.

That was a joke RichmondParksmile Now I'm wondering.

DaisyAnne Sun 26-Jun-22 14:05:02

Jaxjacky

Excellent post DaisyAnne
Where I come from it’s called s**t stirring.

And it is well named Jaxjacky.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 14:18:50

Just to keep everything above board. I will declare an interest as I, too, have given cash to charities in the past

Oh ? me too!

Ongoing as we've been to several funerals, sadly, over the past year and there is usually a box for donations to charity on the way out.

Elegran Sun 26-Jun-22 14:24:42

It is very interesting that there is currently a rash of articles, TV progs etc throwing shit in the direction of the RF. Some of it has obvious roots, some appears to have been dug up from antiquity and embellished, and presented gleefully by the hungry media. Lots of rumour, lots of spin.

Could the "revelations" have some connection with the possible imminence of a change of monarch? Could the sources be republican and/or political? Could our illustrious PM have a finger in the pie?

volver Sun 26-Jun-22 14:26:57

Those saying they have given cash to charities in the past. Was it 3 million euros in 500€ notes, stuffed in a Fortnum and Mason's bag??