Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sky reporting that a resignation statement is being prepared

(42 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 09:05:33

Another interesting day

Treetops05 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:25:21

Thank goodness he's gone - praying the next PM knows what ethics and morals mean.

Coco51 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:28:01

Jeez - he is proposing to stay until there is a new Tory leader but that means we’ll have no government, because very few MPs will work for him!

lemsip Thu 07-Jul-22 11:31:40

yes, He's resigning as Conservative leader but NOT as PM until autumn.

25Avalon Thu 07-Jul-22 11:32:03

I don’t think that will happen Coco51. According to the FT significant numbers of Tory MP’s are opposed to this and want Boris to go now and get the Queen to appoint a caretaker PM whilst they sort out contenders for the leadership. In those circumstances the caretaker PM should be Dominic Raab.

Nanaval4G Thu 07-Jul-22 11:43:55

easybe and nankate I am in your camp. What is it with the conservative party that they have to be so back stabbing instead of supportive, Those that have resigned have only done so because they want to be able to put themselves forward for the new conservative leader and therefore PM. Boris has had the hardest job of any other PM, apart from perhaps during and immediately after the war years, and I personally thank goodness he was the one dealing with it because I don't think anyone else could have done the job so well. The press win again. Now I know how Prince Harry feels about the poisonous british press. By the way, anyone know how the investigation into the Kier Starmer Party is going, oh no, the press are more insterested in stabbing Boris in the back.

Shinamae Thu 07-Jul-22 11:47:17

Treetops05

Thank goodness he's gone - praying the next PM knows what ethics and morals mean.

Don’t hold your breath…

grannygranby Thu 07-Jul-22 11:50:16

I think the Queen should put Mick Lynch in as caretaker PM. If only.
The worst snake is Stephen Baker, he was the one who organised Brexit and ran the WhatsApp ring. Always out of range.. now he has the nerve to say he will put himself forward. A Machiavellian right wing ideologue if ever. And also don’t forget that Boris was not one, he wanted to be in power and adored, he was all for printing more money and handing it out.. which is the reason he’s been tossed to the lions.
I personally hate the spectacle of people rushing in to kick those who are down. It’s a horrid animal instinct
The last and only prime minister to be a caretaker after losing was Churchill. And we know how Boris tries to mirror him. In the meantime the Durham Poilice are still sitting on their hands vis a vis the FPN’s in Starmer and Raynor. I think it’s time they re- released Anarchy in the UK

sandwichgeneration Thu 07-Jul-22 11:57:52

karmalady please think again! From what I have read over the past year, he is an unpleasant, self-seeker (yes, many politicians are) but, added to that, take a look at this and ask what sort of future we will have with him in charge. (Hope link works, if not, it's in the Guardian)

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jul/07/anti-green-mp-steve-baker-considering-running-for-pm-if-boris-johnson-goes

SillyNanny321 Thu 07-Jul-22 12:02:01

So Cummings & Beth Rigby will be gloating now along with all the press who have done nothing but run Boris down! Not a Boris lover by any means but do feel for him. Do not like politicians as they all have their own agendas & will stab in the back anyone in their way. Gods help this country whoever is Prime Minister or whichever party wins the next election! I feel like hiding till it is all over but that will do no good at all! Maybe Putin will sling a bomb our way as he keeps threatening & we wont have to worry as we will no longer be here will we?

katy1950 Thu 07-Jul-22 12:07:29

The media will decide who will be the next PM in particular the smirking news presenters and so called political editors then once in place they will destroy them

Nannina Thu 07-Jul-22 12:24:40

He might be resigning but the plan is to keep him in post until September whilst a new leader is elected. Suggestions are those that have resigned (57) come back into post to continue government business so basically no change for a couple of months. How on earth can that work-Boris commanding his ‘traitors’ with several of them campaigning for his job. Plenty of time for Boris to inflict more damage on the country

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Jul-22 12:24:55

Whitewavemark2

Of course it is possible that he has written two letters??.

One to leave and one to remain

???

GANNET Thu 07-Jul-22 17:30:39

Such an unedifying spectacle- journalists can’t stop gloating and colleagues fighting to replace him. Careful what you wish for in terms of the future. The thoughts of living through a mish mash coalition of Labour and Lib Dems and whoever else is a nightmare scenario where absolutely nothing gets done. Boris was not good as PM but I think we are naive if we think there are better people in any party at the moment. I can’t bear how so anti-British so many people are on here -the more pain and the problems for the UK the happier they are. Bizarre

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jul-22 19:19:03

GANNET

Such an unedifying spectacle- journalists can’t stop gloating and colleagues fighting to replace him. Careful what you wish for in terms of the future. The thoughts of living through a mish mash coalition of Labour and Lib Dems and whoever else is a nightmare scenario where absolutely nothing gets done. Boris was not good as PM but I think we are naive if we think there are better people in any party at the moment. I can’t bear how so anti-British so many people are on here -the more pain and the problems for the UK the happier they are. Bizarre

Yes. Thank goodness we’ve had the stability of a Conservative government instead of the chaos that an Ed Miliband government would have created. Just remind me how many PM’s and elections we’ve had over the past 12 years.

sharon103 Thu 07-Jul-22 19:40:27

Nanaval4G

easybe and nankate I am in your camp. What is it with the conservative party that they have to be so back stabbing instead of supportive, Those that have resigned have only done so because they want to be able to put themselves forward for the new conservative leader and therefore PM. Boris has had the hardest job of any other PM, apart from perhaps during and immediately after the war years, and I personally thank goodness he was the one dealing with it because I don't think anyone else could have done the job so well. The press win again. Now I know how Prince Harry feels about the poisonous british press. By the way, anyone know how the investigation into the Kier Starmer Party is going, oh no, the press are more insterested in stabbing Boris in the back.

I'm in your camp too.
Boris has been hounded by the media since day 1.
Be careful what you wish for people.
Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

maddyone Fri 08-Jul-22 11:33:18

Posters are advocating the Queen appoints a caretaker PM. I thought we are constantly told she’s apolitical. So it seems she’s not!