Sky reporting that a resignation statement is being prepared

(41 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 09:05:33

Another interesting day

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 09:13:19

Sounds as if he’s resigned.

Phew

MaizieD Thu 07-Jul-22 09:13:22

Yes, I've just seen Pippa Crerar reporting that on twitter.

If he was going to resign, why all the drama?

Oldnproud Thu 07-Jul-22 09:17:23

Yes. Just watching Sky News and they are reporting that, too.
But has Johnson ever signed a single thing that he doesnt like?

He will definitely have to go, and anyone else in his position would, however reluctantly, have acknowledged this by now and accepted the inevitable.
Try as I might, though, I'm still struggling to imagine Johnson doing this and resigning in the traditional way.

lemsip Thu 07-Jul-22 09:19:13

resignation imminent......BBC live News

aggie Thu 07-Jul-22 09:20:52

He’s dragging it out , letter being prepared ! He’s going to make a statement , yabba dabba m do !

MaizieD Thu 07-Jul-22 09:23:00

Suggestion that he will remain in No 10 as 'caretaker' PM.

Just to prolong our agony, I assume...

karmalady Thu 07-Jul-22 09:23:59

I have just seen Stephen Baker being interviewed. I could vote for him

Parsley3 Thu 07-Jul-22 09:29:32

A resignation does seem to be imminent. I do hope that his resignation speech has at least a grain of dignity

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 09:31:16

Someone will write it for him, so there is a chance that it will be a bit dignified unless Johnson goes off-piste.

vegansrock Thu 07-Jul-22 09:33:14

He’s going to make a statement today! yay!

eazybee Thu 07-Jul-22 09:33:18

I am very sorry if this is true.
I admire Boris Johnson's courage and think members of the Conservative party have behaved despicably, provoked in the main by self -interest. They will be defeated at the next election, and the alliances that follows will spell disaster for this country.
The left- wing and Remainer attacks were only to be expected.

vegansrock Thu 07-Jul-22 09:39:56

I’m not sure you can blame remainer and left wing attacks when it was his own colleagues resigning which have triggered this. None of whom are left wing or remainers. Maybe they want a leader who is honest, has integrity and shows leadership qualities which are not based on self interest.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jul-22 09:43:13

eazybee

I admire Boris Johnson's courage and think members of the Conservative party have behaved despicably, provoked in the main by self -interest. They will be defeated at the next election, and the alliances that follows will spell disaster for this country.

Many of the people telling him to go are MP’s in the ERG. This is nothing to do with brexit. This is about a man who is and never was fit for leadership. Although I must point out that that was because he was a lying narcissist whose promises about the sunlit uplands of brexit were also part of his fantasies.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 09:43:20

Of course it is possible that he has written two letters??.

One to leave and one to remain

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jul-22 10:13:01

And one with Miss Piggy and another with Kermit the frog?

Parsley3 Thu 07-Jul-22 10:25:52

Don't forget Peppa the Pig.

Parsley3 Thu 07-Jul-22 10:40:52

British media reports embattled leader has agreed to step down after facing growing party rebellion. www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2022/7/7/uk-political-crisis-boris-johnson-expected-to-quit-as-pm

It's a world leading top story in Aljazeera.

25Avalon Thu 07-Jul-22 10:45:56

Mordaunt is favourite. Boris will stay on as caretaker pm until October according to FT. Statement at lunch time.

DaisyAnne Thu 07-Jul-22 10:48:57

I do wish the ex-pro-Brexit voters would get over themselves. We left. The only ones now talking about it are those who wanted that. Is that weird or what? We have to move on, people.

Just how long can you winge because you got what you wanted. Absolutely no one defined what Brexit meant other than leaving the EU. Stop throwing mud at those YOU define as "left-wing" and "Remainer" but who you seem to know even less about than you do about "Brexit".

There is nothing for us to "remain" in now. An EU containing the UK does not exist. Again, we have to move forward. That includes those who enjoyed their revolt against the vast majority who didn't vote to leave.

growstuff Thu 07-Jul-22 10:58:51

eazybee

Which left-wing and Remainer attacks? This is entirely self-inflicted by people who are very far from being left-wing and aren't "Remainers".

NanKate Thu 07-Jul-22 11:06:04

easyBee I thought I was the only person on GN who had some sympathy for Boris, it’s a relief to find a buddy. His fellow conservatives were surrounding him with their knives out at the ready. What a nasty business politics is.

25Avalon Thu 07-Jul-22 11:13:14

I tend to agree with you Easybee and NanKate. I always predicted however that once Brexit was done the Tory party would ditch Boris, but then along came Covid so his stay was extended. He hasn’t exactly helped himself though, and they have all been ready to seek out anything to pounce on and have found plenty. Dominic Cummings is gloating, odious little man.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:16:50

Brexit hasn’t been done though. Ireland still hasn’t been sorted out? The oven ready deal was another blatant lie.

winterwhite Thu 07-Jul-22 11:23:08

Quite so, Maybee, the oven-ready deal was perhaps the first of the blatant lies - oh no, the second - before that was the £3m a week for the NHS and the Boris Bus.