Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson must go immediately

(194 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 09:59:24

He can’t possibly stay as is being suggested until the autumn.

Far too much damage is being done, and surely the Tory party can’t trust him one inch!

welbeck Thu 07-Jul-22 10:47:20

Grany

Still not a word from our head of state. It’s almost as if our nation’s affairs are of no concern to her.

i think that's a silly comment.
we live in a constitutional monarchy.
she cannot would not just say whatever she might be thinking as we on here can do, as we have no further responsibility in the matter.
we can natter and chatter. she does not.
she will make an appropriate statement at the right moment.
i for one am glad, relieved at this juncture, that we do not have a president johnson at the top of the tree.
usa had enough problems with their own one who wouldn't face reality, honour the democratic process.
if someone like that gets to the top, it can cause such reputational damage to the country, as it has here, let alone how as always during unsettled period, it's the little people who suffer most.

MaizieD Thu 07-Jul-22 10:48:12

growstuff

Truss is cutting short a visit. Is she going to be shoe-horned in as next leader (temporarily)? hmm

I think that Zahawi has an eye on that job...

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 10:53:10

Blimey failing ex-ministers get £400+k severance pay!

Strewth!

MaizieD Thu 07-Jul-22 10:57:41

If that includes PPS's then that's at least 53 (I think) x £400+k!

Is that plus the 3 months pay they get?

(are you sure that's the right figure, Wwmk2? £400grand? It sounds a bit excessive.)

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:04:48

MaizieD

If that includes PPS's then that's at least 53 (I think) x £400+k!

Is that plus the 3 months pay they get?

(are you sure that's the right figure, Wwmk2? £400grand? It sounds a bit excessive.)

Just asked DH and he says it’s £420,000. Just been discussed in parliament….

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:09:18

Yes brought up in parliament

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:13:18

Rupa Huq asked the question…

DaisyAnne Thu 07-Jul-22 11:35:19

Whitewavemark2

I thought that the Queen invited Alex Douglas- Hume to be PM.

That was before the system the Conservative Party have now WWM. The men in gray suits decided and then let her know.

I just don't know if he can stop plotting if he is allowed to be caretaker and it seems many Conservative MPs don't either.

DaisyAnne Thu 07-Jul-22 11:48:01

Grany

Still not a word from our head of state. It’s almost as if our nation’s affairs are of no concern to her.

We are all biased but it doesn't need to blind us to the truth.

Having a go at some in the position of 'monarch' for obeying the rules of constitutional monarchy is just petty.

Grantanow Thu 07-Jul-22 11:48:46

It's quite clear if Johnson resigned both as Leader and PM No. 10 could advise the Q to send for any senior Tory with the Party's support and ask him/her to form a government. But they would then be PM and that might subvert the Tories' rules about electing a new Leader who would then find the PM post already filled. Hence Johnson stays until the Tories elect a new Leader. But it leaves BoJo with time on his hands to mess up even more. I hear laughter from Europe, the US, Beijing and Moscow!

Farzanah Thu 07-Jul-22 11:52:03

He just appointed a new cabinet! Details just emerging.

Zonne Thu 07-Jul-22 11:55:16

He is genuinely out of control.

This is dreadful behaviour by Johnson and those who are now colluding with him against the will of his own party, let alone the country.

DaisyAnne Thu 07-Jul-22 11:58:16

I'm not sure which rules you are referring to Grantanow. Could you point us in their direction, or is this an opinion? If it's an opinion, it's just nice to know.

Watching the News feeds, there seem to be many Conservatives who don't want him to stay as PM. I wonder if he will see it out if it stops him from doing what he wants.

Niobe Thu 07-Jul-22 12:01:00

He really is showing himself to be the ‘Poundshop Trump’ .

annodomini Thu 07-Jul-22 12:01:51

The adoring acolyte, Nadine is still there, holding his hand. So too is the vile PP who didn't quite resign but was one of the remnant of cabinet ministers who formed the deputation to advise him to go.Hedging her bets!

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jul-22 12:17:29

James Cleverly as Minister for Education. What have our children done to deserve this. And are these new appointments legal? Will they, too get £420,000 if they only stay in the post for a few hours/days/weeks? What the hell is going on?

DaisyAnne Thu 07-Jul-22 12:19:46

These are constitutionally tricky waters. There is no such post as caretaker prime minister: whoever is prime minister holds the full title and all its powers. The test ultimately is: who can command a majority in the House of Commons? Normally, that is the leader of the largest party, but now that leadership elections include party members outside parliament, these elections take longer than in the days when party leaders were chosen by MPs alone.

Source: Independent

MayBee70 Thu 07-Jul-22 12:22:40

I think the wallpaper should be cut up into small pieces and sold off, the money raised could be given to the poor.

Alie2Oxon Thu 07-Jul-22 12:22:49

Boris being sneaky as usual. I hope some one finds a way to get him out!

DaisyAnne Thu 07-Jul-22 12:25:35

If you read the rest of the article I highlighted, it seems to infer that a lot is in the hands of the 1922 Committee, due for re-election on Monday.

... its first business will be to decide the rules for the leadership election to replace Johnson. That could include special provision for a temporary leader, presumably Raab, but Johnson has already shown that he will try to fight until the last moment

I agree with many of the speakers on the News programmes that given enough rope he will hang us.

Riverwalk Thu 07-Jul-22 12:27:02

The lectern is out - wonder if he's got a surprise up his sleeve hmm

Glorianny Thu 07-Jul-22 12:28:55

I do wonder what the red wall are thinking watching this. Westminster elite deciding things again? Boris was our bloke? In some ways it is exactly what they claim has always happened. The north being ignored and London deciding.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 12:34:57

This is why he must go immediately - he is a massive security risk

Chris Bryant
@RhonddaBryant
·
1h
I have checked the FCDO published transparency records for ministers’ meetings. Johnson did NOT register the meeting with Alexander Lebedev. He cannot have notified his officials.

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Jul-22 12:35:50

Glorianny

He can't go until there is a new leader to take over as PM. If he handed his resignation to the Queen now it would mean we had no PM.

That is right, I think.

Unless HM steps in, asks for his resignation as Prime Minister and appoints a caretaker Prime Minister.

He's not going quietly, is he!
Barnacle Boris.

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Jul-22 12:39:01

Whitewavemark2

Blimey failing ex-ministers get £400+k severance pay!

Strewth!

Surely someone who resigns from a job shouldn't be entitled to a pay-off?
They are not being made redundant.