Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour sacks shadow transport minister who backed strikes.

(406 Posts)
Kandinsky Wed 27-Jul-22 17:41:13

What is happening to the Labour Party?
A party born out of the trade union movement.

Casdon Wed 27-Jul-22 17:43:36

Kandinsky

Why do you care Kandinsky, when you have made it abundantly clear that you’ve always been a Tory voter?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Jul-22 17:45:35

Anyone with half a brain would understand that you can’t have future government members standing on picket lines.

Starmer made that clear.

Party discipline

GrannyGravy13 Wed 27-Jul-22 17:45:45

Casdon

Kandinsky

Why do you care Kandinsky, when you have made it abundantly clear that you’ve always been a Tory voter?

Are Conservative voters not allowed to comment on Labour Party issues?

Kandinsky Wed 27-Jul-22 17:46:09

Incorrect.
I have voted Labour in the past & have said that many times on here.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 27-Jul-22 17:46:12

Whitewavemark2

Anyone with half a brain would understand that you can’t have future government members standing on picket lines.

Starmer made that clear.

Party discipline

Totally agree.

Kandinsky Wed 27-Jul-22 17:48:12

Are Conservative voters not allowed to comment on Labour Party issues

Indeed.
All Labour voters do on here is whinge about the conservatives.

Casdon Wed 27-Jul-22 17:48:44

She didn’t comment though GrannyGravy13, it would have been fine if she had given her view.

Kandinsky Wed 27-Jul-22 17:49:28

The Labour Party are no longer the party of the working man.

Casdon Wed 27-Jul-22 17:50:45

Kandinsky

The Labour Party are no longer the party of the working man.

In what respect exactly?

MaizieD Wed 27-Jul-22 17:50:52

Just commented on another thread, but would say that Labour's thinking appears to be to try to put to bed the accusation that the RMT action is a 'Labour' strike. Shadow Cabinet members on the picket line could tend to reinforce that idea.

I can't say that I can recall Shadow Labour ministers on picket lines in previous years, but the memory is getting elderly.

I don't think there's any comeback on backbench MPs if they go on picket lines.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Jul-22 17:52:02

GrannyGravy13

Casdon

Kandinsky

Must remember that comment for future reference next time a Labour or LibDem voter starts a thread about the Tory government!

Urmstongran Wed 27-Jul-22 17:53:15

Kandinsky

Incorrect.
I have voted Labour in the past & have said that many times on here.

Ditto.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Jul-22 17:53:25

Kandinsky

I think that the OP misunderstands the Labour Governments roll.

The Labour movement was formed to allow the working man a democratic input into decisions made by the U.K. government.

Lucca Wed 27-Jul-22 17:58:36

GrannyGravy13

Casdon

Kandinsky

Actually I think of course they should be!

RichmondPark1 Wed 27-Jul-22 17:58:50

All Labour voters do on here is whinge about the conservatives

The use of words like 'whinge' only divides us and makes it really hard to have meaningful debate that will take us somewhere.

Whinging and raising genuine concern backed up by evidence are two separate things altogether.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Jul-22 18:00:36

RichmondPark1

*All Labour voters do on here is whinge about the conservatives*

The use of words like 'whinge' only divides us and makes it really hard to have meaningful debate that will take us somewhere.

Whinging and raising genuine concern backed up by evidence are two separate things altogether.

It is the Johnson Brexity effect

Casdon Wed 27-Jul-22 18:02:51

To clarify, I didn’t say to Kandinsky she shouldn’t comment, I asked her why as a Tory voter she cared about the issue, which she hasn’t answered, I am waiting for her view.

Kandinsky Wed 27-Jul-22 18:09:43

I am not a ‘Tory voter’
I am someone who has voted Labour in the past. I have also voted Labour in the past.
I’ll never vote Labour again though, not because they’ve sacked someone for supporting rail workers, but because they don’t seem to know what a woman is anymore.

Kandinsky Wed 27-Jul-22 18:10:22

Tory in the past.

Maudi Wed 27-Jul-22 18:41:41

He's Angela Rayner boyfriend he left his wife and family for her. Rayner should be ashamed of herself in my opinion, I bet she supports the strikes. If Labour ever got into power God help us with her as Deputy PM.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Jul-22 18:45:06

Maudi

He's Angela Rayner boyfriend he left his wife and family for her. Rayner should be ashamed of herself in my opinion, I bet she supports the strikes. If Labour ever got into power God help us with her as Deputy PM.

Jolly good job that Starmer isn’t influenced by his mates then isn’t it. Johnson would have defended him.

Starmer - straight down the line.

MaizieD Wed 27-Jul-22 18:53:08

Maudi

Good heavens, Maudi. Are you for real? There are times when you sound like a parody account on twitter.

Maudi Wed 27-Jul-22 19:00:36

No I'm a robot ?

foxie48 Wed 27-Jul-22 19:04:45

I think it was the right decision and it's about time we stopped defining labour as "For the working man" and Conservative as "for the rich", it may have been appropriate in the past but it is not relative now and we need political parties to reflect that change. Strikes harm everyone and those that can do the most harm benefit tbh I'm not happy with that, why should a train driver have more "clout" than a care worker?