Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ignore Nicola Sturgeon. She’s just an attention seeker.

(355 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

volver Tue 02-Aug-22 09:08:05

So. The person who is likely to be our next Prime Minister told the party faithful at a hustings in Exeter that the best thing to do about Sturgeon is to ignore her. When told by the moderator that NS was democratically elected to her position, Truss said NS is just an attention seeker. Cue lots of excited clapping and cheering.

This is the woman who is meant to be our senior diplomat, who will be in the company of world leaders. NS was elected by 48% (or so) of the electorate of her country, Truss will inherit the job by getting the votes of something like 0.03% of the electorate. Ignore Sturgeon, you’re ignoring half the population of Scotland and telling them that you know better what’s good for them.

It’s the number one story up here but I don’t know how much its being reported in rUK.

Last week I called her a Welsh carrot. (You had to be there wink) But it seems I over estimated her. She’s lost the place, as we say up here.

GrannyRose15 Thu 11-Aug-22 20:32:52

"You respect the position and the decision of the Scots, even if you don't respect the person holding it."

Oh how I wish people would respect the position. It works both ways you know.

volver Thu 11-Aug-22 19:49:04

I know some of the people posting here are in Scotland, like me. I think the reaction from many here North of the border is just bemused jollity at the jibe from Truss, and at Sturgeon's very measured response. Unless you are Annie Wells. She's not a happy camper.

Petera Thu 11-Aug-22 19:46:24

Casdon

Maudi

If you believe Sturgeon, I expect she's still smarting about being called an attention seeker don't believe everything you read in The Guardian Newspaper.

You do make me laugh Maudi. The Guardian, that bastion of communism and SNP supporting tendencies, known to repeatedly make up untrue stories about that saviour of a fully United Britain (renamed ‘England’) Truss.

This is exactly the toxic legacy of Johnson - everything is a lie, everything is deniable.

Casdon Thu 11-Aug-22 18:59:58

Maudi

If you believe Sturgeon, I expect she's still smarting about being called an attention seeker don't believe everything you read in The Guardian Newspaper.

You do make me laugh Maudi. The Guardian, that bastion of communism and SNP supporting tendencies, known to repeatedly make up untrue stories about that saviour of a fully United Britain (renamed ‘England’) Truss.

Petera Thu 11-Aug-22 18:51:02

Maudi

A bit of googling will get you to an audio file and you can make your own mind up.

Callistemon21 Thu 11-Aug-22 17:56:13

I doubt very much that Nicola Sturgeon is smarting over that daft remark.

Maudi Thu 11-Aug-22 17:49:06

varian Thu 11-Aug-22 17:26:02

Nicola Sturgeon has claimed Liz Truss asked her how to get an interview in Vogue magazine when they met briefly at Cop26 last year.

At a side event in Edinburgh on Wednesday, the Scottish Prime Minister recalled meeting the Conservative leadership’s favorite at the global climate conference in Glasgow, shortly after the magazine interview – her second with the fashion bible – came out.

“I actually remember it quite well,” Sturgeon told the audience. “I had just done it, and that’s going to sound really good to me, but I’m not planning on… I had just been interviewed by Vogue, as were you… that was the main thing she wanted to talk to me about, she wanted to know.” how she might get into Vogue.

“I told her they came and asked me.”

ukdaily.news/nicola-sturgeon-says-liz-truss-asked-her-how-to-get-into-vogue-liz-truss-30843.html

It is hard to believe that Liz Truss is not an attention seeker

Petera Thu 11-Aug-22 17:17:49

Apparently the 'attention seeker' comment came up at a fringe event:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/10/nicola-sturgeon-says-liz-truss-asked-her-how-to-get-into-vogue

MaizieD Mon 08-Aug-22 12:31:56

Fleurpepper

Is this thread about education or comments made by Truss on NS???

Threads do wander...

But it is still about Truss comments; albeit her stupid comment about Oxbridge and privilege.

Fleurpepper Mon 08-Aug-22 12:22:12

Is this thread about education or comments made by Truss on NS???

nanna8 Mon 08-Aug-22 02:04:45

If you did a table like that here in Australia I think it would be very different. Far more private schools. About 40 % of secondary school pupils attend and about 30 % of primary school pupils. There are various reasons for this.

varian Fri 05-Aug-22 22:11:31

Bodach

Casdon

Mamie

My GD says that there are groups from the same schools who come to her uni, live in the same halls and carry on as if they are still at boarding school.
All seems a bit sad to me.

That happens with state school pupils too, it’s really surprising that groups of students from the same schools choose the same universities.

Of those of my contemporaries at my state school in Scotland who went on to university, almost all chose to do so in Aberdeen. I decided to brave the unknown terrors of the Deep South, and went to Glasgow University.

When I was about to leave school people would ask "are you going to the university?" never asking which university. Although there were four universities in Scotland (all of them more than 500 years old) people in Glasgow talked about the university as if it was the only one in the entire universe. No-one I knew went to an English university and anyone who ended up at St Andrews, Aberdeen or Edinburgh was to be pitied as they were obviously not good enough to get into Glasgow.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Aug-22 21:24:45

Yes, as the saying goes "All brains but no common sense"

Indeed Calli!
Or as we say “all the gear but no idea!” ?

Bodach Fri 05-Aug-22 21:20:05

Casdon

Mamie

My GD says that there are groups from the same schools who come to her uni, live in the same halls and carry on as if they are still at boarding school.

That happens with state school pupils too, it’s really surprising that groups of students from the same schools choose the same universities.

Of those of my contemporaries at my state school in Scotland who went on to university, almost all chose to do so in Aberdeen. I decided to brave the unknown terrors of the Deep South, and went to Glasgow University.

Anniel Fri 05-Aug-22 19:34:34

Oh dear as a post grad from London School Of Economics I attended part of London University which had a majority of privately educated students. I went to a Grammar school and am from a council house in Liverpool. Many post grads are from all over the world. We had Nigerians, Australians and Americans in my classes so they would be counted as privately educated depending on how the research was conducted. Many quite smart students opted not to go to university. They wanted to take apprenticeships or go straight to work. University does not suit some students.

Casdon Fri 05-Aug-22 17:04:04

Mamie

Mamie Fri 05-Aug-22 16:32:26

MaizieD Fri 05-Aug-22 16:06:29

Callistemon21

Yes, I put the date on there.
Do you have a link?

They may have improved recently but other universities have not.

I gave you a link to the Oxbridge figures because Oxbridge were the universities being accused of being 'for the privileged'. and I was replying specifically to that point. And pointed out that another Russell group uni is worse (my local one grin ).

Are we widening the scope of the question of privilege and University entrance now hmm

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Aug-22 15:57:20

Yes, I put the date on there.
Do you have a link?

They may have improved recently but other universities have not.

MaizieD Fri 05-Aug-22 15:40:50

Callistemon21

Full list of universities with less than 75 per cent of students from state schools:

1. University of Oxford, 60.6 per cent

2. Royal Agricultural University, 61.2 per cent

3. University of Exeter, 64.7 per cent

4. University of Cambridge, 65.3 per cent

5. University of Edinburgh, 65.4 per cent; University of St Andrews, 65.4 per cent

6. University of Durham, 65.7 per cent

7. University College London, 65.9 per cent

8. Imperial College London, 67.1 per cent

9. Regent’s University London, 67.2 per cent

10. University of Bristol, 67.6 per cent

11. Oxford Brookes University, 69.5 per cent

12. London School of Economics and Political Science, 70.9 per cent

13. University of Bath, 74.2 per cent

17/2/2020
RESEARCH Professional News

Your figures are out of date, Callistemon. Mine were from February of this year. Oxford and Cambridge 70% or more.

Mamie Fri 05-Aug-22 15:36:57

My GD is at one of the universities near the top of the list. She says other students keep asking "and what was your school?". She replies "the local one" (a secondary modern with a fine record of getting pupils into Russell Group universities).

Callistemon21 Fri 05-Aug-22 15:29:15

Full list of universities with less than 75 per cent of students from state schools:

1. University of Oxford, 60.6 per cent

2. Royal Agricultural University, 61.2 per cent

3. University of Exeter, 64.7 per cent

4. University of Cambridge, 65.3 per cent

5. University of Edinburgh, 65.4 per cent; University of St Andrews, 65.4 per cent

6. University of Durham, 65.7 per cent

7. University College London, 65.9 per cent

8. Imperial College London, 67.1 per cent

9. Regent’s University London, 67.2 per cent

10. University of Bristol, 67.6 per cent

11. Oxford Brookes University, 69.5 per cent

12. London School of Economics and Political Science, 70.9 per cent

13. University of Bath, 74.2 per cent

17/2/2020
RESEARCH Professional News

MaizieD Fri 05-Aug-22 15:18:45

And so do I. Oxbridge shouldn’t just be for the privileged. That’s what she meant.

Oxbridge isn't just for the privileged.

In among the dross of this article from earlier this year is the statistic that Cambridge has 72% state school pupils and Oxford has 70%.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10781001/Private-school-pupils-lose-Oxbridge-places-state-school-peers.html

In fact, Durham University is worse. This article from February of this year, states that only 61% of their intake is state school pupils.

www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19945625.durham-uni-among-worst-not-accepting-students-state-schools/

Truss is parroting an out of date meme

Casdon Fri 05-Aug-22 14:29:44

grannygranby

Truss’s original comment about the school came from an interview in which she said that on arriving at Oxford her new peers were no more intelligent than her old peers in 6th form Leeds comprehensive the only difference was that they had been privately educated and that’s why she felt that Roundhay her school had failed it’s pupils. More could have been done to get them to Oxbridge. She is now insisting that all state school pupils of certain attainment automatically get considered by Oxbridge. Her two daughtersc(Liberty and Frances - up the revolution) go to state grammars. And the eldest, 16 does her Instagram account .. not her.
And I agree with jenniewmd re Scotland and NS. And thank you for those who spelt out what Great Britain really means, just the biggest island which is why Northern Ireland has to be tagged on the end - not because they are not great! The confusion is encouraged eg TeamGB when it should be TeamUK … it just feeds the nationalist feelings of superiority.
My children went to adjacent north Leeds comprehensives at the time, like her parents, for political reasons
but I had to pay for private maths tutors for both as the schools kept losing / didn’t have maths teachers. And that is no frill it is required for basic matriculation. The local authority (Labour in Leeds) were in control of education at the time.
….Whereas at Leeds Girls High (private) 4* A-levels are expected with over 90% of pupils.. they had theatres and swimming pools orchestras… were they brighter? No says Liz. And so do I. Oxbridge shouldn’t just be for the privileged. That’s what she meant.

One of the issues I have with Truss is that she seems to have no genuine conviction, she blows with the wind. She is also petty and spiteful, for example her refusal to apologise to Nicola Sturgeon for being out and out rude is just playing to the gallery. I think what she actually wants is the spotlight, she should have been an actress.
Kay Birley challenged her about it and she had no answers. She is proof that you can be both academically intelligent and profoundly shallow.
www.thenational.scot/news/20602182.sky-news-debate-crowd-cheers-liz-truss-says-wont-apologise-nicola-sturgeon/