Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ignore Nicola Sturgeon. She’s just an attention seeker.

(355 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

volver Tue 02-Aug-22 09:08:05

So. The person who is likely to be our next Prime Minister told the party faithful at a hustings in Exeter that the best thing to do about Sturgeon is to ignore her. When told by the moderator that NS was democratically elected to her position, Truss said NS is just an attention seeker. Cue lots of excited clapping and cheering.

This is the woman who is meant to be our senior diplomat, who will be in the company of world leaders. NS was elected by 48% (or so) of the electorate of her country, Truss will inherit the job by getting the votes of something like 0.03% of the electorate. Ignore Sturgeon, you’re ignoring half the population of Scotland and telling them that you know better what’s good for them.

It’s the number one story up here but I don’t know how much its being reported in rUK.

Last week I called her a Welsh carrot. (You had to be there wink) But it seems I over estimated her. She’s lost the place, as we say up here.

Petera Tue 02-Aug-22 16:29:56

volver

Right then. Now we know. Orange vegetables are banned. ?

Pumpkins

Glorianny Tue 02-Aug-22 16:31:26

MaizieD

Callistemon21

Casdon

MaizieD

Farzanah

Wot????

Look up the welsh word for carrot.

There is some lurking Gnetter who finds it overly insulting when applied to Ms Truss.

That person is also a Welsh carrot for not having the guts to say they had reported. Why not just say on the thread if you disagree with what somebody has said?

I agree.

It was very swift.

We did go through all this a day or two ago, when it was volver who used the taboo word. One or two people did object on the thread, which was fair enough, but it was reported and deleted all the same.

I wonder if 'welsh' and 'carrot' are now on the banned list hmm

I missed all the deletions (I always seem to) but it does occur to me that comparing Truss to a carrot (Welsh or otherwise) is a bit insulting to carrots which are useful, nourishing vegetables that can be served in a number of ways, whereas Truss is purely and simply useless.

Farzanah Tue 02-Aug-22 16:32:15

I had an early morning hospital appt over 100 miles away and it was to attend in person.
I booked a hotel for the night before, but 2 days prior to my appt got a text saying the appt was on the phone, plus the blurb about missed appts costing £160!
I contacted them them to be told it was a clerical error and the appt was indeed by phone. I asked how I could claim for my out of pocket expenses!
Fines would work both ways…… I didn’t claim btw.

Glorianny Tue 02-Aug-22 16:33:02

You can even use them in cakes.

Farzanah Tue 02-Aug-22 16:35:27

What about s****t pot****s?

MaizieD Tue 02-Aug-22 16:48:16

I think that the Gnet mods are removing the Michael.

When are they going to join the thread and give us a little warning about having a laugh? (Goodness knows, there's little to laugh about in Politics these days)

What about o****e sweet peppers?

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 02-Aug-22 16:50:56

Hi all, just dropping by to ask everyone to post in the spirit of the site.

If you have any questions or concerns about deletions please get in touch with us rather than discussing here as it derails the thread.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Aug-22 16:53:29

Rather partial to physalis

Lucca Tue 02-Aug-22 17:05:51

Originally somebody used an English word which happens to be like the Welsh for carrot. From there all the light hearted comments which have been taken a tad seriously. Please gnhq take this as being in the spirit of explanation nothing more . End of story ?? No more reports please ?

Baggytrazzas Tue 02-Aug-22 17:31:49

I honestly don't know how we are expected to make any serious contributions to GN where reference to vegetables result in posts being deleted.

Lucca Tue 02-Aug-22 17:37:34

Best stop now I think

Glorianny Tue 02-Aug-22 18:30:32

We need warning notices at the start of threads "This thread contains references to orange vegetables which some may find unacceptable"
Oh and a helpline.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 18:34:43

Glorianny

We need warning notices at the start of threads "This thread contains references to orange vegetables which some may find unacceptable"
Oh and a helpline.

Perhaps we should leave it there, I hear that Kevin is traumatised and in therapy.

Casdon Tue 02-Aug-22 18:40:45

Callistemon21

Glorianny

Oh and a helpline.

Perhaps we should leave it there, I hear that Kevin is traumatised and in therapy.

Not to mention Kevin’s Welsh cousin Idris, thrown under the bus due to his pursuit of honesty about Truss. ? ?

FarNorth Tue 02-Aug-22 18:48:53

Petera

DP and I were talking about potential Sturgeon/Truss meetings this morning. Nicola's going to have to call on all of her skills so as not to make Truss look like an idiot, but quite how she does that when Truss will do all the heavy lifting herself god knows.

Why should she bother ? Liz Truss will be looking like an idiot all the rest of the time anyway.

LauraNorderr Tue 02-Aug-22 20:50:39

English Tory voter and party member here, thoroughly ashamed of Ms Truss today and not overly keen on Mr Sunak. My ballot paper will arrive by 11th August and Larry the cat will get my vote. Membership will be cancelled as soon as I send off my paper.
I shall remain left of centre but can’t support either contender and hope there are some drastic changes before the next general election.

LauraNorderr Tue 02-Aug-22 20:58:01

I had a lovely dinner, beef, roast spuds, green beans, Liz trusses and lots of gravy

Chewbacca Tue 02-Aug-22 21:45:16

I'd pay good money to know what Nicola Sturgeon says and thinks about Truss!

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 21:47:49

LauraNorderr

I had a lovely dinner, beef, roast spuds, green beans, Liz trusses and lots of gravy

???
Not Kevin, I hope!!

LauraNorderr Tue 02-Aug-22 21:53:48

Don’t worry Callistemon Kevin is safe, no Aldi near me.

Callistemon21 Tue 02-Aug-22 21:55:05

?

Lucca Tue 02-Aug-22 21:55:22

LauraNorderr

English Tory voter and party member here, thoroughly ashamed of Ms Truss today and not overly keen on Mr Sunak. My ballot paper will arrive by 11th August and Larry the cat will get my vote. Membership will be cancelled as soon as I send off my paper.
I shall remain left of centre but can’t support either contender and hope there are some drastic changes before the next general election.

Good post Laura

LauraNorderr Tue 02-Aug-22 21:59:08

Well I meant right of centre, is it still a good post Lucca?

LauraNorderr Tue 02-Aug-22 22:00:02

Right of centre politically but left of centre Tory wise perhaps

MaizieD Tue 02-Aug-22 22:00:43

Lucca

LauraNorderr

Good post Laura

I agree.