Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ignore Nicola Sturgeon. She’s just an attention seeker.

(354 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

volver Tue 02-Aug-22 09:08:05

So. The person who is likely to be our next Prime Minister told the party faithful at a hustings in Exeter that the best thing to do about Sturgeon is to ignore her. When told by the moderator that NS was democratically elected to her position, Truss said NS is just an attention seeker. Cue lots of excited clapping and cheering.

This is the woman who is meant to be our senior diplomat, who will be in the company of world leaders. NS was elected by 48% (or so) of the electorate of her country, Truss will inherit the job by getting the votes of something like 0.03% of the electorate. Ignore Sturgeon, you’re ignoring half the population of Scotland and telling them that you know better what’s good for them.

It’s the number one story up here but I don’t know how much its being reported in rUK.

Last week I called her a Welsh carrot. (You had to be there wink) But it seems I over estimated her. She’s lost the place, as we say up here.

MaizieD Tue 02-Aug-22 09:13:32

She is completely and utterly nuts. I don't know any other way to put it.

She doesn't have an ounce (or even a gram /gramme ) of credibility. And several thousand elderly tory party members are going to make her our PM

Galaxy Tue 02-Aug-22 09:17:08

Shes bonkers if that's any help.

paddyann54 Tue 02-Aug-22 09:18:45

I just posted on another thread about this.If this is Truss or Tory 's idea of how democracy should work we need to get the hell out of the cesspit fast .Truss and her "amazing deals" has destroyed industries and will flood the country with substandard food etc as for HER getting the tarrifs in the US taken off Whisky I think Joe Biden would tell a different story.
Surely there aren't that many eegits in England who believe her fairy tales
I for one am sticking with Sturgeon a woman who knows whats needed and does withing the strict confines of a fixed budget for the good of the people of Scotland Inependence is Normal ,handing over your income and getting pocket money from your neighbour while they pillage your recourses isn't !

Mollygo Tue 02-Aug-22 09:26:40

This may be the straw that makes the whole of Scotland get behind independence. Voting any other way would mean supporting what we’re currently being served up.
Voted in by Tory party members is sad, but I’m not sure I agree with the ‘elderly’ reference. If elderly people’s views are seen as rubbish, where does that put many GNs views?

MaizieD Tue 02-Aug-22 09:33:09

Voted in by Tory party members is sad, but I’m not sure I agree with the ‘elderly’ reference. If elderly people’s views are seen as rubbish, where does that put many GNs views?

I think it puts them where they belong... grin

Darren Grimes is rooting for Truss, so, I believe, is Tom Harwood . There are some very deluded young people too...

TopsyIrene06 Tue 02-Aug-22 09:35:18

Liz Truss, the best argument for Scottish Independence yet. So rude and undiplomatic. Apologies to NS and Scotland. Please don't judge us all by her standards. Absolutely shocking.

Casdon Tue 02-Aug-22 09:35:47

She has lost the plot, if she ever had it in the first place, which I doubt. She’s also said that she will restore the BOGOF deals, thus throwing away any attempt to persuade the public to eat more healthily. Nightmare woman.

Kandinsky Tue 02-Aug-22 09:37:52

So if you’re ‘elderly’ your views don’t count?
I wonder how many ‘elderly’ people support Nicola Sturgeon?
hmm

Alie2Oxon Tue 02-Aug-22 09:37:53

Every time I see the words 'Miss Truss'...I want to put a 't' on the end.

Kandinsky Tue 02-Aug-22 09:39:57

And I’m certain many people in Scotland think NS is an attention seeker. We don’t take much notice of her down here.

MaizieD Tue 02-Aug-22 09:41:36

Kandinsky

hmm

No, only if you're an elderly member of the tory party. Who are plainly without any judgement at all if they support Truss...

The rest of us are fine...

Zonne Tue 02-Aug-22 09:43:50

The whole leadership competition has been a race to the bottom of a particularly rancid barrel.

Truss’s proposals grow increasingly deluded, and what is worrying is that Tory members (and maybe non-member voters) think this level of inadequate and vitriolic rhetoric is a good thing.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 02-Aug-22 09:44:45

I find this whole voting for a new PM quite unbelievable. Sunak is being held up as the baddie because he was at the forefront of getting rid of the lying and inept PM. So Truss is now the golden girl on whom the country must pin its hopes! She seems to me a slighter brighter (?) version of Nadine Dorries.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Aug-22 09:46:10

This I find worrying

The woman set to be prime minister next month plans to CUT the wages of nurses, teachers, paramedics, police officers & fire fighters outside the south east.

Casdon Tue 02-Aug-22 09:50:34

Whitewavemark2

This I find worrying

The woman set to be prime minister next month plans to CUT the wages of nurses, teachers, paramedics, police officers & fire fighters outside the south east.

General strike here we come. Not that she has the power to cut the wages of public sector workers in Scotland or the other nations, it’s devolved. Next thing she will probably declare she is withdrawing funding to devolved nations, and getting rid of the Scottish, Welsh and NI governments altogether.

Farzanah Tue 02-Aug-22 09:51:34

So the shrinking violet Truss thinks that Sturgeon is an attention seeker ?
Just when you think this farce can’t get any worse……
unbelievable behaviour from a prospective leader, who will be negotiating our future on the world stage.

I cannot believe that any Scots won’t want to divorce themselves as quickly as possible from a country with Truss in charge, and who has shown what she thinks of their democratically elected head.

When the break happens I’m getting a Scottish passport and I’m outa here.

Lucca Tue 02-Aug-22 09:53:05

Kandinsky

hmm

I do far far far more than truss sunak gove ex ex and I’m English. She’s not perfect but she’s a lot better !

Petera Tue 02-Aug-22 09:54:58

DP and I were talking about potential Sturgeon/Truss meetings this morning. Nicola's going to have to call on all of her skills so as not to make Truss look like an idiot, but quite how she does that when Truss will do all the heavy lifting herself god knows.

Mamie Tue 02-Aug-22 09:55:16

I think that if (almost certainly when) she becomes PM she will quickly be overwhelmed by the serious issues facing the country and not have time or space for the ridiculous policies she is promising to Tory members.
I can't see her having the judgement, stamina or pragmatism to cope with the role of PM. The shitshow that she is inheriting will be beyond anyone but the most able and collegiate of people and she surely ain't that.

lixy Tue 02-Aug-22 09:57:26

So rude to be so dismissive - shows a complete lack of diplomacy.

I'd rather have Ms Sturgeon as PM than Ms Truss any day, and just am at a loss to understand why all the other contenders are backing her.

volver Tue 02-Aug-22 09:57:46

Oh God, it just gets better.

Quote from MSP Murdo Fraser this morning about referendums:

Liz Truss is far more in tune on Scottish opinion on this issue than Nicola Sturgeon.

Yammy Tue 02-Aug-22 09:58:38

Kandinsky

hmm

48% of the voting public in Scotland support Nicola Sturgeon maybe they are as delusional as the Tory party members who support Liz Truss in England.
Look at the SNP's record on Health Care,
Education standards once the gold standard of the United Kingdom.
Drug deaths in Scotland the highest in Europe.

Glorianny Tue 02-Aug-22 09:59:51

Casdon

She has lost the plot, if she ever had it in the first place, which I doubt. She’s also said that she will restore the BOGOF deals, thus throwing away any attempt to persuade the public to eat more healthily. Nightmare woman.

I've suggested swops with Scotland before, but this is a great opportunity
BOGOF deal swop you Truss and Sunak for Sturgeon any day

Parsley3 Tue 02-Aug-22 10:03:35

Kandinsky

And I’m certain many people in Scotland think NS is an attention seeker. We don’t take much notice of her down here.

Where is down here? Australia? Antarctica? Hell?
Attention seeking? Is the culprit a naughty child?
So many questions, so little talent in the prospective PM pool and yet people are supportive of the witterings of Truss. Unbelievable, really.