Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why is Boris still PM if he's going to do no work?

(219 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 15-Aug-22 09:16:20

Just that really. Is he only remaining as official PM to get paid? Because if he has no intention of working, surely he should be taken off the books, as any of us would be if we absented ourselves from work.

vegansrock Fri 19-Aug-22 14:41:11

I don’t think it’s acceptable to shout abuse at anyone in the street or elsewhere btw, but such incidents ( including the very obscene football chants about Johnson which I won’t repeat but are well documented / recorded, do perhaps challenge Johnson’s belief that everyone loves him, he’s done a brilliant job etc

volver Fri 19-Aug-22 14:42:21

When I lived abroad, I was struck by the fact that many people use the f-word the way that we night use the word "Sh*t". There was a different perception of its "strength".

So I if anybody did call him a "fat ponce", I don't think that will contribute much to any European's perception of British people. I think our image is probably as low as it can go, and that's nothing to do with people shouting in supermarkets.

Fleurpepper Fri 19-Aug-22 14:49:12

Callistemon21

maddyone

To be honest, the get back to work thing is one thing, you fat ponce just shows up the person for their bad manners. Brits abroad, cringe worthy.

Actually, I agree, it is rude, unacceptable and if it's true, it will add to the perception of 'Brits' abroad being badly behaved louts.

Words I would never us, so I agree. But I can assure you that this is NOT be what adds to the reputation of the UK and its people abroad! Johnson's behaviour has done that beautifully (disgustingly).

Joseanne Fri 19-Aug-22 15:05:38

Seeing as the discussion has widened, may I add that working in the travel industry while back as I did, Brits were badly behaved abroad long before Boris was around. They were often drunk, rude, messy and loud. They had a reputation for flouting local culture. The Japanese were the best, being quiet and tidy. The Italians were the best dressed.

Anyway, the clip in the supermarket was nearly a minute and a half long, but the unpleasant words were not uttered. The Independent ascertains that someone said "Hi" to Boris, he acknowledged her with a smile, and the rest were Greek shoppers' voices.

Joseanne Fri 19-Aug-22 15:09:17

PS I'm in France this month and my French friend told me the Brits are the most generous tippers! Unnecessarily.

Callistemon21 Fri 19-Aug-22 17:38:15

It's the fat part that is most upsetting.

It's body-shaming and unacceptable.

Joseanne Fri 19-Aug-22 18:10:24

I agree Callistemon. Why not say, "you lazy ponce"? Actually in the clip I thought he looked proportionately OK. Maybe he has been working out?

Fleurpepper Fri 19-Aug-22 18:21:54

I am not bothered about his body shape. But I am very bothered about him being a ponce.

TBH if I unexpectedly met him in a supermarket abroad, I am not sure I could control my language. He has caused so so much damage.

Dickens Fri 19-Aug-22 18:49:34

Callistemon21

It's the fat part that is most upsetting.

It's body-shaming and unacceptable.

I agree.

I really dislike Johnson, but cannot subscribe to body-shaming him.

It's just plain wrong. And one can't make exceptions.

Actually, I'm not 'into' delving in, or speculating about, his private life either TBH. Personal relationships are private - and no-one outside of them really knows the dynamics involved (hence the speculation). So I won't comment on that aspect either.

Oldnproud Fri 19-Aug-22 19:09:38

A 'polite' insult would not have been newsworthy, would it!

I'm all in favour of a rude insult given to a public figure who deserves it as much as Johnson.

If this was actually said - which I know is debatable - good on the person involved. What better way to show one's contempt to someone like Johnson than spontaneously, in person and in public!

Personally, I do make exceptions to what I consider acceptable depending on circumstances.

Casdon Fri 19-Aug-22 19:12:06

I suspect what he would dislike most of all would be for everybody to completely ignore him. Not knowing who he is would be the best insult.

Oldnproud Fri 19-Aug-22 19:38:44

Casdon

I suspect what he would dislike most of all would be for everybody to completely ignore him. Not knowing who he is would be the best insult.

True grin, but realistically, that is never likely to happen, is it, and one individual or even a small group of people ignoring him would have zero impact on his oversized ego!

Petera Fri 19-Aug-22 20:10:16

Casdon

This reminds me of the Monty Python sketch 'let's be rude about the Belgians'

Whitewavemark2 Sat 20-Aug-22 12:40:13

Johnson having another party at Chequers today.

Taking the piss to the bitter end.

Fleurpepper Sat 20-Aug-22 12:47:46

Do you have a link to that. This is just unbelievable - if that is true, then I am very happy to swear at him and about him, and no limits.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 20-Aug-22 13:50:30

There was a really silly photo of him in the paper today. On a beach with a child, presumably Wilfred. He was holding an ice cream and wearing a suit, tie and polished shoes. Who on earth goes to a beach like that? At least the child had his back to the camera so had a bit of privacy.

Oldnproud Tue 23-Aug-22 09:05:35

Johnson appears to crave, more than anything, a place the history books, to be a name that will still be widely recognised long after he has gone

He is probably thinking along the lines of Churchill, but I think that the similarities to Nero are much greater.

MayBee70 Tue 23-Aug-22 11:00:33

I don’t think he’s gone. I think he’s too much like Trump and sadly a lot of people still think he’s wonderful. Not enough, I hope, to get him back into power again.