Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jacob Rees-Mogg says government should no longer ‘deliver certain functions’ as Brexit prize

(121 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 18-Aug-22 13:56:59

Jacob Rees-Mogg has urged the next prime minister to slash back the government’s role as a prize of Brexit, suggesting it should not “deliver certain functions at all”.

A strong supporter of Liz Truss to win the race for No 10, the arch-Brexiteer called for “a re-thinking of the British state” – arguing mere cuts in public spending will not go far enough.

The Leave campaign won the 2016 campaign partly on a promise to boost spending, notably by £350m-a-week on the NHS, but Mr Rees-Mogg is pointing to a different agenda.

“Our departure from the European Union necessitates a re-thinking of the British state,” the minister for Brexit opportunities has written in a newspaper article.

“This means going beyond ministers looking for fiscal trims and haircuts and considering whether the state should deliver certain functions at all.”

It comes after Ms Truss vowed to press the accelerator on ripping up thousands of EU regulations if she wins power, which has raised fears that protections will disappear.

The Liberal Democrats said the comments would “raise fears that the worst damage to relations with our neighbours is not yet done”.

Mr Rees-Mogg argued tearing back the state’s role would allow the next government to help people with rocketing energy bills, which the leadership race favourite has said she will do through tax cuts.

“As a supporter of Liz Truss to become prime minister I am a strong advocate of the benefit of tax cuts to the economy and to the British consumer,” he wrote in The Daily Telegraph.

The call was endorsed by another senior Truss backer, former Brexit minister David Frost, who is expected to be given a leading role in her administration.

Mr Rees-Mogg was “absolutely right about the need to "rethink the British state" after Brexit”, Lord Frost said.

Layla Moran, the Lib Dem foreign affairs spokeswoman, said: “Rather than try to dismantle the British state, maybe Rees-Mogg should try and tear down the huge amounts of red tape which have been erected thanks to the Conservatives’ trade deal with Europe.”

The Best for Britain better democracy campaign group seized on Mr Mogg claiming £4bn had been found from his efficient drive – arguing it was too little to avoid dramatic cuts.

“It will likely lead to the civil service to stop delivering functions including essential public services that Tory governments continue to run into the ground,” said Naomi Smith, its chief executive.

The call comes after the respected Institute for Fiscal Studies warned that big spending cuts are inevitable if Ms Truss pursues the £30bn-plus of tax cuts she plans, calling them unrealistic.

Angela Rayner, Labour’s deputy leader, said: “There’s nothing ‘efficient’ about cutting frontline services already overwhelmed by backlogs when families are already struggling to make ends meet.

“Now Liz Truss is pledging yet more cuts which will only worsen the backlogs we already have in courts, airports and GPs, leaving people waiting even longer for passports, driving licences, and vital appointments.”

uk.yahoo.com/news/jacob-rees-mogg-says-government-111435632.html

Fleurpepper Thu 18-Aug-22 19:02:09

Baggs

*from a man who doesn't contribute to it. At all.*

Small point, but presumably he pays income tax on his MP salary so you can't say he doesn't contribute to the UK at all. He contributes in the same way as nearly everybody else.

a third question- what is the proportion of his total income?

And how does anyone else earn millions in tax haven and not pay tax- tax that pays for the NHS, roads, the environment, education, social services and so so much more.

Your post was just unbelievable.

growstuff Thu 18-Aug-22 19:04:01

Look at some of the nineteenth century records of the wealth held by some of the landowners and factory owners (there are some primary records in Manchester's People's Museum) and compare the figures with what ordinary workers had and look at the the evidence about where they lived. That's what happens when there is no state intervention. The country might have bee booming, but the wealth wasn't filtering down to "ordinary people".

Baggs Thu 18-Aug-22 19:07:06

Re the first comment about JRM not contributing at all (financially) to the UK, I believe people in the UK receiving dividends from companies such as his have to pay UK tax on that income as well.

Fleurpepper Thu 18-Aug-22 19:08:51

I have no objection to people becoming very wealthy. None at all, no jealousy either. I have many notable exemples among family and friends.

But only if - they pay their taxes, here, in the UK- to help provide for all those essential services for all. Simple, very simple.

Glorianny Thu 18-Aug-22 19:13:43

Baggs

*Now you seem to think that it should all be taken away and that we should revert to 19th C conditions. Because that's what the removal of state intervention would do. I am amazed that you think that the US is a good example of capitalism in action. It's appalling. There is abject poverty, huge health inequalities, poor education for many and lower life expectancy than in the UK.*

First of all, I haven't said anything about what I think should happen so the first two sentences of what I have quoted above can be discounted. I was not talking about what I think should happen, just pointing out what is recognised conservative thinking. At least do yourself the favour of not distorting what I actually say or reading in what isn't there.

There is abject poverty in the US, yes, but your average person is orders of magnitude better off than your average person from before capitalism took off. The same is true here and in fact all over the world. It may not all be due to capitalism but it is capitalism that provided the funds for state intervention on a massive scale – think, for example, about Victorian philanthropists (capitalists mostly) building schools for ordinary people, and hospitals, and parks, and politicians (Gladstone, Disraeli et al) trying to improve working conditions for ordinary people. It's capitalism that's improving things for ordinary people in China for all their communistic pretences.

I'm not sure you are right any longer about people in the US being better off. There is considerable evidence that the progress made in the past has levelled off and those who did better than their parents are slipping back and descending into poverty.
Read Barbara Kingsolvers book 'Unsheltered' it's the story of an older family slipping into poverty. The story of the grandfather dying of diabetes, unable to get medical care is heart breaking

MaizieD Thu 18-Aug-22 19:17:35

growstuff

Look at some of the nineteenth century records of the wealth held by some of the landowners and factory owners (there are some primary records in Manchester's People's Museum) and compare the figures with what ordinary workers had and look at the the evidence about where they lived. That's what happens when there is no state intervention. The country might have bee booming, but the wealth wasn't filtering down to "ordinary people".

In addition I'd recommend that people read Engels study of the poor in Manchester.

Or Dickens, or Henry Mayhew.

Or Orwell for a 20thC perspective.

Or some reports on government enquiries into say, factory conditions, or sanitation...

I don't suppose JRM actually detailed what state functions he's liked to see removed? What might they be? Education? Health? Social care? Road building? Regulation of working environments?

Which ones do folks fancy paying for directly? Or not having at all?

Zonne Thu 18-Aug-22 19:22:27

There is a big difference between regulated capitalism in a well-governed state, and unfettered capitalism with virtually no regulation, which is what the far-right of the Tory party want.

Baggs, I have also lived in the US, and while your comparison between life in, eg, the 19th century and today is valid, it’s state regulation limiting the excesses of capitalism and investing in social
welfare that have brought about the improvements, and they’ve bought fewer of them to the US as there is less regulation. A more appropriately contextualised comparison is between the lives of the most vulnerable in the USA and European nations with effective regulatory regimes, and state services, and I can assure you, the latter is far better.

Daisymae Thu 18-Aug-22 19:25:41

I think that this government would like to remove most fiscal checks and balances. London is called the laundromat for a reason. They want a bonfire of restrictions for a reason, and it's not the common good. As for ordinary people, well they really don't care one iota. Just watched Sunak say that he wants people to stop claiming benefits and get to work. Ignoring the fact that many claimants are actually in work. We know that Truss doesn't like handouts, who does, but they are a safety net. They seem to think that people are living the life of Riley on the state. I'd quite like to see them both live on benefits for a month. This government is not only a zombie, they are completely removed from the day to day issues of many people.

Fleurpepper Thu 18-Aug-22 20:08:45

Who is talking about China here?

I just cannot believe I am reading this.

MaizieD Thu 18-Aug-22 20:12:44

I wonder if the people who voted for Brexit were voting for the removal of (unspecified) state functions?

I always get the impression that they visualised life continuing in much the same way that they were used to, with no change apart from 'sovereignty'...

Fleurpepper Thu 18-Aug-22 20:17:04

Some of them also wanted to deregulate and benefit financially via tax evasion.

Dinahmo Thu 18-Aug-22 20:27:57

Baggs

Re the first comment about JRM not contributing at all (financially) to the UK, I believe people in the UK receiving dividends from companies such as his have to pay UK tax on that income as well.

How do you know that he's receiving dividends from his companies registered in the Cayman Islands?

There is no taxation whatsoever on companies registered in the Caymans plus there are no mandatory requirements to submit financial records or to disclose the names of directors, officers or shareholders.

He can withdraw as much as he likes from his companies with no one knowing. He could even have a charge card registered in the Caymans, use it wherever he is and pay for it from his companies' bank accounts.

M0nica Thu 18-Aug-22 20:28:38

Fleurpepper Those who wanted deregulation etc, were unlikely to be the ordinary person in the street, and it is their votes that just pushed the Brexit vote over the 50% level.

Dinahmo Thu 18-Aug-22 20:30:40

M0nica

Fleurpepper Those who wanted deregulation etc, were unlikely to be the ordinary person in the street, and it is their votes that just pushed the Brexit vote over the 50% level.

They did want to get back the UK's sovereignity which implies a certain amount of deregulation

MaizieD Thu 18-Aug-22 20:37:53

Dinahmo

M0nica

They did want to get back the UK's sovereignity which implies a certain amount of deregulation

But when we pointed that out they usually insisted that our regulations, with regard to animal welfare, food safety, workers' rights and so on, were much better than the EU's so that leaving wouldn't have any adverse effect.

They'd also cite 'less EU red tape', but whether that and our so much better regulations were connected in their minds is hard to tell.

I very much doubt that MOnica's 'ordinary person in the street' was panting for deregulation.

Fleurpepper Thu 18-Aug-22 20:57:03

M0nica

Oh indeed. But we all know that the ordinary person in the street was lied to, massively. and made false promises about the NHS, more jobs, cheaper energy, cheaper food, better protected fisheries and agriculture, and so much more.

By those, and for those, who wanted financial deregulation for their own purposes - tax evasion.

GagaJo Thu 18-Aug-22 20:58:56

Yes. The 350 million a week that was going to go into the NHS (Brexit Bus) for starters.

Fleurpepper Fri 19-Aug-22 12:00:36

Just one massive lie of so many. If I had been lied to in that way, and it had pushed me to vote for it, I would be very angry.

Some of us always knew they were lies.

GagaJo Fri 19-Aug-22 13:01:03

Fleurpepper

Just one massive lie of so many. If I had been lied to in that way, and it had pushed me to vote for it, I would be very angry.

Some of us always knew they were lies.

Yes, but they were too worried about Corbyn the commie coming after their money. One GN member actually said, 'He's not putting his hand in MY pocket.'

I was shocked!

pascal30 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:24:50

GAGAJO
I completely agree with you,and unfortunately think that both potential PM's are modelling themselves on the US. we will soon be having an even bigger divide between rich and poor.. and losing our NHS under this government... Roll on an election

CathSoc62 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:30:47

Jacob Rees Mogg - hard line catholic ( sixth child called Sixtus ! ) brought up by nanny and nicknamed ‘ the honourable member for the 18th century ‘. Does anyone SERIOUSLY listen to him ?

Nannapat1 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:41:17

Typical Rees-Mogg nonsense of course. The bit that worries me is Liz Truss' belief that cutting taxes (by which I assume she means income tax) will relieve effectively the burden of spiralling fuel costs.
Is she unaware of how many people earn so little that they already pay no tax, or if they earn just above the threshold, how a miserable couple of hundred £s extra a year just won't cut it?

Nannapat1 Sat 20-Aug-22 11:44:52

MaizieD
I also thought the JR-M was rather short on detail. I 'd like to know exactly which services he thinks should be cut.

MaizieD Sat 20-Aug-22 11:52:10

CathSoc62

Jacob Rees Mogg - hard line catholic ( sixth child called Sixtus ! ) brought up by nanny and nicknamed ‘ the honourable member for the 18th century ‘. Does anyone SERIOUSLY listen to him ?

I think you have to seriously listen to him because if Truss wins the leadership of the tory party, Rees Mogg will be a member of her Cabinet. It's a rather influential position. And Truss agrees with him already...

I wonder if people who voted tory in 2019 really knew that they were giving them permission to destroy our protections, our constitution and our economy?

Farzanah Sat 20-Aug-22 11:55:27

Truss may listen to him because she seems to be of the same mindset. The Guardian are headlining today with an article she wrote in 2009 supporting cuts to the NHS, arguing the service cannot be put on a pedestal, and also criticised the inexorable rise in doctors pay. She was also calling for payments to be made for GP appointments.

It’s obvious to see how the NHS comes to be in the failing state it is today, notwithstanding Covid. It was running down prior to that, and obviously fits into the ideology of the Tory party of a privatised health system.

It’s worth bearing in mind that over half of the bankruptcies in the US are reported to be because of health bills.