Gransnet forums

News & politics

What's the point of a Prince of Wales?

(315 Posts)
volver Sun 11-Sep-22 09:42:53

I believe the Prince of Wales is basically the top bod in the hierarchy in Wales and has been an Englishman since the 14th Century. I understand it is an expression of the rule of the English over the Welsh.

I have googled the role of the Prince and Princess of Wales and it appears to be to visit as many places in the country as possible and learn to speak Welsh. Personally I find the conferring of titles such as this on Royals a patronising anachronism, having once had to explain to a French person that the Duke of Edinburgh didn't really run Edinburgh.

What do Welsh people think about the whole thing?

volver Sun 11-Sep-22 11:45:41

Pantglas2

I’m not surprised your french friend was confused volver they got rid of their royals a long time ago and don’t understand why we haven’t done the same!

Here in Spain they’re a lot more understanding of the concept of non political figureheads having reinstated theirs almost half a century ago after turbulent times.

That was Franco's doing, wasn't it?

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 12:07:56

Pantglas2

I’m not surprised your french friend was confused volver they got rid of their royals a long time ago and don’t understand why we haven’t done the same!

Here in Spain they’re a lot more understanding of the concept of non political figureheads having reinstated theirs almost half a century ago after turbulent times.

Oh, the French!
That lot my ersecuted ancestors had to flee to sanctuary in England.

Thank you, England.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 12:08:07

Persecuted

Anniebach Sun 11-Sep-22 14:42:37

Will we have a repeat of attempts to blow up reservoirs supplying water to England, setting fire to holiday homes owned by the English , sawing off road signposts, whilst all around Wales there were street parties and carnivals.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 14:56:48

sawing off road signposts

It's much more fun to turn them round so that tourists go round in circles or end up down a dead end.

I sometimes wonder if our satnav person is a nationalist too, although I don't think she's decided of which country.

Jaberwok Sun 11-Sep-22 14:56:55

The first English P.of W was Edward of Caernarfon, fourth and eldest surviving son of Edward 1st, born 1284. at Caernarfon Castle. He later reigned as Edward 11nd and was murdered in Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire in 1327.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 14:58:52

He should have started some charities to help the deserving poor then he might not have suffered such a grisly end.

Farzanah Sun 11-Sep-22 14:59:19

Perhaps Owain Glyndwr will rise once more to defend Wales from the threat of the English Prince.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 15:00:06

born 1284. at Caernarfon Castle
He was Welsh, then.

Lexisgranny Sun 11-Sep-22 15:01:19

I do not think anyone need concern themselves about the new Prince of Wales speaking Welsh, we live in Wales, my husband is Welsh and I can’t remember the last time I heard Welsh being spoken in the street. According to the Annual Population Survey by Government Wales in December 2021 only 25.9% of people in Wales actually spoke the language.

Lexisgranny Sun 11-Sep-22 15:05:07

I have just asked my husband what he thinks about the appointment and he replied that as long as they both visit all parts of Wales, and are visible in the Principality, he is more than happy about it.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Sep-22 15:07:45

I think it would be a good idea to learn the National Anthem at least.

Wh can forget John Redwood with his mouth opening and shutting uselessly? But then, he is a politician

JaneJudge Sun 11-Sep-22 15:11:56

The same can be said of Duke/Duchesses of places too. Hardly any of them live where they are DUKE?Duchess of

Jaberwok Sun 11-Sep-22 15:18:28

Not sure that charities were actually up and running in the 13th century! Yes Edward was born in Wales deliberately and presented as a Prince who spoke no English. But of course at that point he didn't speak any language at all. He was however an English king , his son becoming P of W in 1343, and so it went on.

Lexisgranny Sun 11-Sep-22 15:20:40

The Prince of Wales has spoken on the telephone to the First Minister, Mark Drayford pledging that he and his wife will support the aspirations of the Welsh people and to serve them with humility and respect. At this stage, I think we cannot ask for more.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 11-Sep-22 15:29:11

I’m sure that if William hadn’t been given the title and it had been left in abeyance we would have heard people moaning that the Welsh had been snubbed and clearly were considered insignificant and unimportant. Being the Prince and Princess of Wales is an honour, isn’t it?

Are we going to have the same whingeing if Edward is made Duke of Edinburgh?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 11-Sep-22 15:30:27

That’s excellent Lexisgranny.

Anniebach Sun 11-Sep-22 15:33:54

Yes William has made a statement, he referred to living in
Anglesey

Wonder what they will do with Llwynywermod

volver Sun 11-Sep-22 15:37:22

Are we going to have the same whingeing if Edward is made Duke of Edinburgh?

Asking what the job entails and wondering if the people of Wales support it is not "whingeing". If people do not approve of being the subjects of a medieval system, its not "whingeing".

Grow up. Try to partake in a grown up conversation.

Farzanah Sun 11-Sep-22 15:49:19

Lexisgranny I think it depends where you live in Wales. I live in an English border town and Welsh is frequently heard on the streets here, and most schools near us, over the border, use Welsh as their day to day language.

JaneJudge Sun 11-Sep-22 15:52:41

They definitely speak it in North Wales. It is a beautiful language

Lexisgranny Sun 11-Sep-22 16:01:36

Farzanah. Possibly, I was born in a border town, in fact I could see Wales through my bedroom window. You do hear a bit of Welsh spoken there, but a few miles over the border, very little.

Anniebach. Maybe he will hand it over to the new Prince of Wales, but I do hope, particularly in view of William’s former attachment to RAF Valley that they also have a base in North Wales, which so often seems to be regarded as the south’s poor neighbour.

Anniebach Sun 11-Sep-22 16:16:02

Lexisgranny Llwynywermod is in Llandovery so Mid Wales which is just right,

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 11-Sep-22 16:20:28

volver, there has been whingeing here about the PoW. Not by those answering the question but those answering. Is it not reasonable to ask if we will have a repetition
if Edward is given his father’s title?

I would thank you not to tell me to grow up.

volver Sun 11-Sep-22 16:26:09

I re-read the whole thread and there was no whingeing. Just discussion of the title and role. Just because people make points you don't agree with, that doesn't mean they are whingeing.

I'd thank you to actually read the thread with a view to understanding the content, rather than assuming what's in it or putting your own slant on it.