Gransnet forums

News & politics

How soon before the next step to privatising the state schools?

(386 Posts)
DaisyAnne Mon 19-Sep-22 18:18:35

Most schools ask for some small things to be paid for by the parents. What happens with the next step - when it's either no heat or electricity or charging a small fee?

Will your GCs be in a school where parents are affluent enough to help and get the children sufficient education? Fees will certainly stop the children of the "underserving" poor from competing with those children coming from a "sense of entitlement" background. There will be no STEM teaching in some of the schools with children from poorer families; it's far too expensive. STEM jobs are well paid, this way they will be left to the children of the better paid. Isn't that exactly how the Conservatives think it should be? This government will steal children's education - something you can never get back.

This winter, parents will be asked by schools, by PTAs, to top up in a way none of us has seen before. Perhaps this will stop those arguing for the abolition of independent schools and get them to concentrate where it matters right now: on the drip, drip privatisation of state schools.

Joseanne Sun 25-Sep-22 11:49:48

MaizieD

Mollygo

That’s OK. Impressions can differ and we certainly weren’t well funded. I had a TA for 1 afternoon a week which was all our school could afford, and I was on the Governing body, so I saw the finances, so obviously my opinion differs.

I was an actual TA, employed, along with 5 more, as a result of Labour's funding increases and I was on the Governing body for most of the time I worked there. I sawthe finances too.

Just saying

Silly me...... wrong quote got attached to my comment on understanding the finances!

Doodledog Sun 25-Sep-22 12:08:40

DaisyAnne

*Doodledog*, I can see no proof that shows that "one of the reasons that the 2-tier system is iniquitous is that because the rich and influential tend to use private schools they have (at best) no vested interest in improving state ones". Some do, some don't. What percentage of those sending their children to state schools show any interest in the school outside that connected to their own children?

This is othering. I expect it from the right. I did not expect it from the left. It is no different to identifying a group of people who were seen as rich but often were not, as being the reason for the downfall of a country's economy.

The issue is with the state and the issue with the state lies clearly with the voters. I will, after this thread, probably never vote Labour again. I wasn't, as some were, put off by Corbyn's extremes as the party seemed to resile from those, but I am put off by the far left on GN. Communism is when everything is owned and run by the state. This is what you are demanding for education.

I have no idea how many people use a private school but get involved in state ones. How would I know that? I can't imagine many parents feeling happy about someone having decision-making powers in their children's school when they don't use it for their own children though.

The left/right insults are tired, and show a woeful lack of understanding of what the two things mean, and a strange assumption that people's views are either one or the other. It happens a lot on here. I couldn't care less how you vote - I'm not recruiting for any party, but I can assure you that however my political allegiances could be described, I am not a communist grin.

This is supposedly a discussion, not a fight to the death, and it would be a lot more interesting if we could actually discuss things. Others have left this thread because of your condescending attitude, and I am going to do the same.

DaisyAnne Sun 25-Sep-22 13:08:40

What is more condescending than thinking you can tell people they cannot pay to educate their children?

Will you allow them to pay for medical treatment for those children if they feel suitable treatment is not available on the NHS? Will you allow them to rent from a private owner or even buy their home privately or will you stop that in order that they take more notice of Council House building - which would currently, in many areas, be unable to offer them decent housing. These "others" must be brought down to the lowest we have on offer apparently, then they will feel grateful and help. I don't see it.

So far in the past few posts both you and Maizie have decided attacking me personally is the answer. There is obviously no discussion unless I agree that some people have to be stopped from doing something with their money that is perfectly - at the moment and in the majority of countries - legal.

DaisyAnne Sun 25-Sep-22 13:12:24

By the way Doodledog I do know you have stopped actually reading the posts I write but, just for clarification, I did not ask "how many people use a private school but get involved in state ones." I asked, "What percentage of those sending their children to state schools show any interest in the school outside that connected to their own children?"

Perhaps you have got hold of the wrong end of more than one stick.

volver Sun 25-Sep-22 13:14:08

What is more condescending than thinking you can tell people they cannot pay to educate their children?

Telling them they are too poor to expect a proper education for their children.

DaisyAnne Sun 25-Sep-22 13:32:19

So when did you do that Volver? I certainly haven't and wouldn't. Have you read the OP?

volver Sun 25-Sep-22 13:49:35

I don't know about privatising state schools... this is like being in the playground...

I didn't do it. You did it. A big boy did it and ran away.

JaneJudge Sun 25-Sep-22 13:52:51

what does the dishwasher comment mean?

Doodledog Sun 25-Sep-22 15:08:40

I am no longer taking part in the 'debate', but want to say that I have not made personal remarks of any kind. Disagreeing with someone is not the same as attacking them, and I have not done that either.

DaisyAnne Sun 25-Sep-22 16:05:26

I don't think calling me condescending was an attack against the argument Doodledog.