Gransnet forums

News & politics

Would the UK have noticed otherwise?

(116 Posts)
JackyB Thu 22-Sep-22 07:48:33

I watched the footage, and some of the live coverage of the Queen's funeral on Monday, but despite winding back and forth and checking over and over, I couldn't see one second of coverage of the European Royals, all of whom were present, and seated in the South transept. From my perspective, here in Germany, the royal families of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Luxembourg and Monaco are just as interesting relevant to Royal-Watchers and the yellow press as the British monarchy. But the general public and the media in the UK seem to be totally unaware that there are other monarchies out there.

The visiting royals may not have been aware that they had been snubbed by the British media, as they probably had their own press following them.

Now I read that Queen Margaret of Denmark caught Covid and has finally managed to make the BBC aware of the fact that she was there. That's a great souvenir to give her to take back as a memento of the day. Good job she has a great sense of humour like her cousin.

I am not a royal watcher or particular fan of these people, but I am aware that they exist. As I say, I watched the arrivals at Westminster abbey again and again and was shown the British royals, the commonwealth heads of state, the US president and his wife, the ex- and current Prime Ministers of the UK, but neither during the service nor before, did I see any mention of those European royal family members (who are household names here in Germany.). Sorry if I'm wrong and I blinked and missed them.

Here is the article about Margarethe getting Covid with, finally, a photo of her and the others. They even have to be tagged to explain who they are.

www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62982315

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 12:33:19

www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/20220919151507/world-leaders-european-royals-the-queen-funeral/

mokryna Thu 22-Sep-22 12:39:15

Joseanne

You would think France wouldnt be at all interested in our Royal family Dickens, but I've heard more talk about them in the last few months I was over there than in any time over the past 20 years! There was a sense of a build up to the Queen's death, especially after Prince Philip died, and the French press was certainly gearing itself up for it.

France television broadcasted all the funeral on at least two of the major channels starting from I think from 7am till 8pm. It showed the same as the BBC all the time but at certain times did split screens showing the crowds and interviews.

MaizieD Thu 22-Sep-22 12:46:24

Baggs

People will be catching covid forever. Isn't t time we got used to that fact in the same way that we've got used to the fact that people catch flu?

I don't think it's time at all that we 'get used to' the fact that we have a life threatening disease, which is still causing excess deaths, has over a million people suffering from Long Covid, which can be life altering for many, that is known to attack internal organs and has been implicated in the early and unexpected deaths of people of any age a few months after having contracted the illness (including possibly our late Queen), still at large in the population and a government pretending that it no longer exists or poses any threat and doing nothing to protect our young people from future harm for lack of simple mitigations.

I think we 're crackers.

Blossoming Thu 22-Sep-22 13:39:29

Without wishing to be rude, I am aware that there are other monarchies but I’m just not that interested in them, sorry.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 22-Sep-22 13:55:59

So do I Maizie.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 22-Sep-22 13:56:12

Blossoming

Without wishing to be rude, I am aware that there are other monarchies but I’m just not that interested in them, sorry.

Same here.

M0nica Thu 22-Sep-22 13:59:41

Our local paper in Normandy had a beautiful front page of the Queen mourning her loss as 'Duc de Normandie.

The funeral wasn't about the foreign royals, prime ministers or even the Emperor of Japan. It was the funeral for a remarkable women who had been our Queen for 70 years.

Nothing about foreign Royals in British media.

How then do I know why King Juan Carlos of Spain had to abdicate and lives in exile in Dubai, or somewhere in the middle east. or indeed the other scandals surrounding the monarchy in that country. I know the names of all the Queen's of The Netherlands since the war (Wilhelmina, Juliana, Beatrice and now Wilhelm-Alexander). All three queens abdicated in old age to let their daughter/son take over. The Belgian monarchy has had its share of ups and downs, though all the details elude me. Likewise the Danes who have the last female monarch left in Europe.

I know all this, not because I am an ardent royalist, I am not, but I read a couple of papers each day. One of the joys of reading the paaper is that you end up seeing all kinds of seemingly irrelevant news items and reading them, in a way you just do not get the variety of you only consume news online.

grannydarkhair Thu 22-Sep-22 14:16:18

Like MOnica, I’m not an ardent royalist but I also know a fair bit about a few of the European royals. Not because I read a couple of papers each day but because I follow certain threads on Mumsnet.
Admittedly, said threads are mostly about clothes and “bling”, especially tiaras. Mumsnet favourites include Queen Letizia of Spain and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands.

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 14:55:36

nightowl

I read that there was a mistake in the invitations, with Princess Mary of Denmark being invited and then uninvited to the funeral. The Danish Royal Household had initially issued a statement to say that Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary would all attend and then had to quickly amend it. Oops!

I thought that if you invited someone to your home by mistake it was good manners to let the invitation stand. I’m sure they could have added another chair on the end…
Maybe the buses were full though.

Thinking further about this nightowl, that is probably Australia heading for republicanism as soon as they can!

Actually, it was a faux pas but perhaps someone realised if they'd invited the Crown Princess then other European Royals might wonder why they couldn't come too.

Heads of State were allowed to bring one guest so Queen Margrethe brought the Crown Prince.

maddyone Thu 22-Sep-22 15:03:55

Thank goodness it wasn’t like Harry’s wedding, complete with as many celebrities as you could possibly find. This was about Queen Elizabeth and her family, not about European royals, or politicians from anywhere (including Biden who was far, far too important to sit on the coaches laid on for other VIPs) or anyone else at all really. It was not an entertaining game of spot the celebrity. It was a funeral for a very old lady and her family first, and a state occasion for the UK second.

nightowl Thu 22-Sep-22 15:07:11

Apparently Callistemon there have been questions about the fact that Spain and the Netherlands were allowed to have more than two guests. So I think you’re right, this will lead to increased calls for republicanism in Australia!

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 15:11:32

Oh, were they?

Someone messed up!

Jaberwok Thu 22-Sep-22 15:51:28

Tbh I'm not particularly interested in other Monarchies. The funeral of our much loved Queen was about her and the British RF, just as when it's the funeral of one of their monarchs it will be about them and not us! I only spotted Prince and Princess Michael of Kent once, same with Princess Alexandra. The Duke of Gloucester was following the gun carriage on foot, both in Scotland and here. Full marks for him as he is 78! The Duke of Kent is too tottery to walk far so came in a car. Again, only a glimpse of him, Australia? Be careful what you wish for!

jenpax Thu 22-Sep-22 16:00:31

I saw footage of the Royal families of the countries you mentioned arriving at the Abbey, although I confess I didn't watch the whole thing

Jaberwok Thu 22-Sep-22 16:05:18

The title the Queen held as Duc de Normandie now only applies to the Channel Islands. Normandy was incorporated into Republican France during the revolution of 1789-99. The title is the same whether the monarch is male or female.

Norah Thu 22-Sep-22 16:05:25

Baggs

I saw some comments on Twtr re Biden and Mrs being seated 14 rows back. People were shocked that the leader of the free world blah blah blah...

BUT the Queen was not head of state of the US, nor is the US a Commonwealth country. Of course countries holding those characteristics got seating preference.

I read those comments as well.

And that he was seated back because he arrived late (no seat saving). He apparently couldn't bring himself to ride in a bus or fly commercial - having to bring his own planeS, vehicleS and 'the beast' (his limo).

Zoejory Thu 22-Sep-22 16:14:43

I shall sound ignorant now but I had no idea that Sweden had a Royal Family. I know, shocking thing to admit to.

But after reading and listening to coverage I did a spot of searching and discovered they have a Prince Carl Philip.

Who is rather gorgeous.

Back to the OP I did hear mention of more than a few royals but this was the Queen's funeral. Not really a who's who of any other nations Royals.

MaizieD Thu 22-Sep-22 16:50:31

Norah

Baggs

I saw some comments on Twtr re Biden and Mrs being seated 14 rows back. People were shocked that the leader of the free world blah blah blah...

BUT the Queen was not head of state of the US, nor is the US a Commonwealth country. Of course countries holding those characteristics got seating preference.

I read those comments as well.

And that he was seated back because he arrived late (no seat saving). He apparently couldn't bring himself to ride in a bus or fly commercial - having to bring his own planeS, vehicleS and 'the beast' (his limo).

Wasn't there allocated seating for the Heads of State? With 'reserved seats'?

I know there was a bit of a kerfuffle when Johnson tried to go in ahead of previous PMs. They were actually being seated in order of their terms of office.

I understand that Biden takes his armoured vehicle everywhere for his use. It's security worry that keeps him wedded to it...

I didn't find it at all annoying/upsetting or whatever people do think about it...

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 17:35:45

Wasn't there allocated seating for the Heads of State? With 'reserved seats '?

I wondered if it was in alphabetical order then decided it wasn't.

In that case the Bidens could have been near the front (America) or the back (United States of said country)

eazybee Thu 22-Sep-22 19:08:45

Not front-page news in the British press though; not of course reported in the MSM.

I certainly saw that the Eiffel tower was blacked out, the Brandenburg Gate illuminated and heard and read parts of Ursula von der Leyen's speech. I watched mainly BBC and read the Telegraph, and there was plenty of live coverage of and interest in the many tributes from other Heads of State and royal families.
You clearly missed it.

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 19:50:20

Yes, there was a lot of news of the reactions from around the world.

Dickens Thu 22-Sep-22 22:06:41

eazybee

^Not front-page news in the British press though; not of course reported in the MSM^.

I certainly saw that the Eiffel tower was blacked out, the Brandenburg Gate illuminated and heard and read parts of Ursula von der Leyen's speech. I watched mainly BBC and read the Telegraph, and there was plenty of live coverage of and interest in the many tributes from other Heads of State and royal families.
You clearly missed it.

I admit to losing patience with the BBC so stopped watching its coverage.

I don't read the Telegraph unless an odd article peeps out from behind the paywall, but I do subscribe to its sister publication, The Spectator - generally Eurosceptic in outlook but worth a read nonetheless.

So yes, clearly, I missed it.

JaneJudge Thu 22-Sep-22 22:09:49

I knew about the other Royal families but I'd assumed the security would have been sky high and they just weren't mentioned so that they were kept safer

Mollygo Thu 22-Sep-22 22:27:21

I did see some of the European Royals but the TV coverage was about the Queen not, as someone has said a celebrity spotting show. Why assume they would feel snubbed? They were there, not watching it invitee BBC and they probably have more sense.

Mollygo Thu 22-Sep-22 23:01:49

Invitee= on TV