Gransnet forums

News & politics

Kwasi Kwarteng at the Queen’s funeral.

(220 Posts)
Iam64 Thu 22-Sep-22 09:02:52

Was he taking a private phone call? That’s the least disreputable take I have on him, appearing to talk, laugh, wipe his face with his hand and appear to sway.

volver Sun 25-Sep-22 14:19:01

Is it just me or is this site bats**t crazy today?

Imagine - somebody posting alternative views to someone who posts something they disagree with? On a discussions site of all places.

It's the end of days, innit?

JaneJudge Sun 25-Sep-22 14:22:23

It is definitely getting worse and people get really personal about stuff. I've even had my career and qualifications open to abuse this week grin but at least I haven't given any details out about my nationality, so at least something is sacred

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 14:27:37

JaneJudge

It is definitely getting worse and people get really personal about stuff. I've even had my career and qualifications open to abuse this week grin but at least I haven't given any details out about my nationality, so at least something is sacred

Oh no, I missed that!
I got 100% in KS3 geography this week ?

I've applied for Welsh nationality.

Prentice Sun 25-Sep-22 14:52:35

I always think it is a mistake to give details of career or qualifications on a site such as this, as it either sounds full of arrogance or at least one upmanship, while at the same time leaving posters to doubt the truth of it.
Nationality? Why hide this?
I have applied for Hobbit nationality Callistemon21 but fear I will be turned down because I am too tall.

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 14:55:46

Prentice I have a photo of me at Hobbiton and yes, I could qualify ?
It's trick photography (it must be!)

JaneJudge Sun 25-Sep-22 15:00:53

tbf prentice, I said my job was low paid, it is. I don't think arrogance is a trait I possess and I wouldn't get very far on the one upmanship front smile

Also, regarding nationality, my family has been subject to prejudice in the UK.

Calistemon, how exciting smile

Iam64 Sun 25-Sep-22 15:07:07

Yes / incorrect. Thankyou Fleurpepper. I’m using a tiny phone and WiFi intermittent

Callistemon21 Sun 25-Sep-22 15:08:56

Calistemon, how exciting smile
I looked ridiculous, JaneJudge!

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Sep-22 15:39:23

JaneJudge

Did you?
I’m sorry that I missed that.
I would have loved to have joined in and put the boot in.
You know me!smile

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Sep-22 15:44:45

And I don’t have kids or grandkids to boast about - so qualifications it is!
I love hearing about others successes in life, whatever they are.

Farmor15 Sun 25-Sep-22 15:56:19

I have a feeling that Callistimon's suggestion of D notice may be the explanation. In Ireland there used to be a similar arrangement with press. One of our prime ministers in 70s was having an affair for years- well known by many but never reported until well after his death. Other politicians personal lives were also taboo. Our 2nd President was apparently an alcoholic but all hushed up! Likewise, negative reports about the Catholic Church were off limits for the media. All changed now, fortunately (though who really knows?).

Dickens Sun 25-Sep-22 16:28:45

Prentice

That should read QK not QC.

"QK"

... was my mistake - it should've been "KK".

My grandson in South Africa has named his cat Qwasi. It's stuck in my head.

... his second cat he named "Olive". grin

Apologies for the confusion.

Gabrielle56 Mon 26-Sep-22 10:09:56

He does look as if he about to wet his pants! Having 4 DS I've seen the signs......?

FannyCornforth Mon 26-Sep-22 10:37:51

Dickens No worries.
I imagine that he struggles to spell his own name at times; or even believes that he’s called Olive

effalump Mon 26-Sep-22 10:44:45

He probably had one of thos earplugs with a mic on the lead. You wouldn't have noticed it had he not been laughing at something. Very disrespectful.

Fleurpepper Mon 26-Sep-22 11:41:41

Prentice

FannyCornforth

And you really don’t think that there is a connection?
You think that he is just fidgeting?

I’m not arguing btw, I don’t do that
(on here, that is!)

It seems to me FannyCornforth that arguing on here is exactly what you do, if you do not like the responses of other posters.
Also, bespectacled, black, bald etc are simply describing words.
What GrannyGravy13 wrote was a lighthearted riposte to all the heavyhanded posts insinuating drug use amongst other things.

Well, have heard it all now. So an accusation of being racist, is now a 'lightweight riposte'. Blimey.

I'd rather be accused of being a drug user than a racist, if push comes to shove.

Yes, Volver - puts the rise of fascism right back in its place, doesn't it!

Prentice Mon 26-Sep-22 12:26:36

Dickens

Prentice

That should read QK not QC.

"QK"

... was my mistake - it should've been "KK".

My grandson in South Africa has named his cat Qwasi. It's stuck in my head.

... his second cat he named "Olive". grin

Apologies for the confusion.

Thank you Dickens I thought there was some reason for the QK that I did not know about.grin

Prentice Mon 26-Sep-22 12:29:37

I cannot understand your response Fleurpepper I think something has been ‘lost in translation’.
Never mind, this is what happens sometimes.

Iam64 Mon 26-Sep-22 13:36:58

I understand your response at 11.41 today Fleurpepper