Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone like to guess how long this government will last?

(93 Posts)
DaisyAnne Fri 23-Sep-22 18:38:13

I think it could be spring, but they may drag it out to the summer.

volver Sat 24-Sep-22 08:22:47

Crikey.

LizzieDrip Sat 24-Sep-22 08:46:46

Truss won’t last long IMO. She’s a puppet. Her first job was to make even more money for the rich✔️ The length of time it takes the UK economy to crash as a result, dictates how long she remains PM. When they see the ‘time is right’ the Tories will get rid of her; there’ll be another sham leadership election (for which Johnson will stand and will win) and he’ll come riding in like a bloody knight on a white charger. All this will be carefully choreographed by the Tory elite to give Johnson time to turn public opinion round to the Tories in time for the next GE. Accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist … but let’s see what happens. And we think Putin is devious!

maddyone Sat 24-Sep-22 09:13:28

I absolutely hate what happened yesterday and I think we need a change of government as soon as possible, but Putin cannot be compared to anyone in the UK government. Putin is a facist despot with the murder of thousands on his hands. When the British government is compared to him I just think people have lost the plot.

Kandinsky Sat 24-Sep-22 09:28:55

Truss won’t last long IMO. She’s a puppet

Well to a certain extent all PM’s are puppets.
The ones pulling the strings we’ve never heard of.

Katie59 Sat 24-Sep-22 09:36:17

I don’t think she will lead the Tories into the next election but will most likely stay until a few months before that, there are too many uncertainties to predict, Ukraine and global recession being two, not under anyones control.

Grantanow Sat 24-Sep-22 10:13:54

The Tories will hang on until a late General Election in 2024 and then lose. Truss's career will end in oblivion. Taxes will have to be raised and services cut to balance the books and reduce the enormous debt run up by the Tories. The next government will inherit a very difficult situation and have to take unpopular measures.

maddyone Sat 24-Sep-22 10:21:00

But how can we ever pay back 270 billion?

Dickens Sat 24-Sep-22 10:24:42

Tories will do what they always do when it looks like they might just be ousted. Those MPs who are now mumbling against Truss will rally round her and close ranks if threatened.

They do not intend to let go of the reins of power.

So, how long will they last? As long as they want to. Because:

The electorate have been conditioned to accept the party as the only one which can manage the economy,

The Opposition will not join forces to defeat it.

And, there is always an effective dog-whistle to pull out of the hat against the Opposition; 'illegal' immigrants, those on benefits who have chosen them as a "lifestyle", and 'wokeism'; not to mention those Leftie / Trot / Marxist strikers who are apparently holding us all to ransom.

Britannia is definitely going to be "Unchained". Because we will allow it.

nanna8 Sat 24-Sep-22 11:03:40

Why did people vote for the Conservatives?
A lot must be right behind her and they may well get re-elected. Same applies to Brexit. I was astonished when that got through but it did - and likely many people will support your new leader. Not everyone thinks like the majority here, that is obvious. We have a dreadful State leader here who likes to curtail freedom but the majority seem to like him so we just have to suck it up

Fleurpepper Sat 24-Sep-22 11:14:10

Urmstongran

I like Suella Braverman I think she’ll do well in post. I don’t think the Tories will call a snap election so we will have them for 15 months at least. The Budget in November may have some pleasant surprises for us little people. We can but hope! Raising the Personal Allowance threshold by a hike would be a start. A step towards levelling up if say no-one paid tax on the first £20k of earnings. I don’t think Truss intends to forget the workers. It was just her priority right now was to kick start big business and the finance sector. From this all things flow. She will also play hard ball now with the EU and push for a real Brexit. Superfluous red tape from Brussels will be cut to make the UK leaner and light touch. That will please the Red Wall who voted for it.

Starmer has his work cut out. He has lost some of his appeal now, even amongst his supporters.

Do you actually mean THIS Suella Braverman? Wow!

www.facebook.com/watch/?v=542876879910768

very few mention the ERG, but they made sure Truss was elected to be their puppet servant. The ERG is one of the most bent organisation in the UK now, and the Cabinet is full of them, if not 100% (of course we can't know, see interview above)- and following Rees-Mogg senior's handbook of 'how to get very very rich quickly from disaster politics'. So they will be in power just long enough to make sure they pockets are full to the brim and above- scupper the country and leave it in such a state that it will take decades, and probably more, to redress the situation.

www.facebook.com/watch/?v=542876879910768

interview above about Braverman refusing to name members of the ERG. Surely, if a political association gets Governement funding, and his appointed to the Cabinet in a vast proportion, we, the people, must know who they are.

JaneJudge Sat 24-Sep-22 11:16:14

I can't quite believe they are allowing Nadine Dorries to become a Baroness

Callistemon21 Sat 24-Sep-22 11:21:24

JaneJudge

I can't quite believe they are allowing Nadine Dorries to become a Baroness

I don't know whether to laugh or cry ......
???

Visgir1 Sat 24-Sep-22 11:26:17

May 2024. Can't see it before.

LizzieDrip Sat 24-Sep-22 11:42:37

Thanks for the Braverman clip fleurpepper Please remind me, we do live in an open democracy where MPs are publicly funded servants of the electorate - don’t we? Powerful, influential secret societies where names of member MPs are withheld from the public surely wouldn’t be allowed in our ‘open democracy’ would they! Who continues to support this shower of charlatans.

MaizieD Sat 24-Sep-22 11:57:04

LizzieDrip

Thanks for the Braverman clip fleurpepper Please remind me, we do live in an open democracy where MPs are publicly funded servants of the electorate - don’t we? Powerful, influential secret societies where names of member MPs are withheld from the public surely wouldn’t be allowed in our ‘open democracy’ would they! Who continues to support this shower of charlatans.

Not only that, but the ERG is funded by public money.

We fund a number of parliamentary groups, the ERG is one of them.

LizzieDrip Sat 24-Sep-22 13:34:25

Exactly! Publicly funded so the public has a right to know details of who the members are.

glammanana Sat 24-Sep-22 13:44:14

I wonder if Liz Truss will have time to have No 10 redecorated hmm

MayBee70 Sat 24-Sep-22 14:53:50

maddyone

I absolutely hate what happened yesterday and I think we need a change of government as soon as possible, but Putin cannot be compared to anyone in the UK government. Putin is a facist despot with the murder of thousands on his hands. When the British government is compared to him I just think people have lost the plot.

But isn’t that because we like to think that those in government do have some sort of decency in them? Which, imo used to be the case. Alas I don’t think that’s the case any more. There are some very dangerous people governing this country at this moment in time.

DaisyAnne Sat 24-Sep-22 14:57:51

I wouldn't write Liz Truss's ability off although she does seem to have a very low EQ. She seems to be a bit of a think tank geek so can probably talk the talk, but I do wonder how well she can walk the walk. PMQs will certainly be interesting.

Callistemon21 Sat 24-Sep-22 15:04:26

LizzieDrip

Exactly! Publicly funded so the public has a right to know details of who the members are.

Here's a bit about them, (but one is Wikipedia)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Research_Group
www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/tax-funded-research-by-rees-moggs-erg-must-be-released-tribunal-rules/

downnotout Sat 24-Sep-22 15:07:01

This government know their days are numbered and they have no chance of winning the next election. IMO they are introducing measures now so that the rich can get all their ducks in a row and receive as much benefit from the new tax structures as possible before the tories are turfed out and new fairer legislation is introduced be the next lot.

Prentice Sat 24-Sep-22 16:32:21

I suppose this government will last until the next General Election, two years?
It is so hard to predict what will happen by then and how voters will feel.
At least we have help with our energy bills and pensioners will return to the triple lock next Spring I have heard.

Prentice Sat 24-Sep-22 16:38:16

DaisyAnne

I wouldn't write Liz Truss's ability off although she does seem to have a very low EQ. She seems to be a bit of a think tank geek so can probably talk the talk, but I do wonder how well she can walk the walk. PMQs will certainly be interesting.

I am sorry but what is EQ?
I have read that she did well at school and then went on to an Oxford College.
From her body language I think she is sometimes nervous, just as Mrs May was at times, and like her, is confident within herself of what she thinks and needs to say but cannot put on a show of charm at the same time.
It must be very difficult with the present economic times to know that you really only have two years to turn the tide.

Charleygirl5 Sat 24-Sep-22 16:55:02

Christmas would not be soon enough for me. A pity she has unpacked.
Nothing was done for the poor yesterday so heaven help what will happen to them.

Being personal she did zilch for me because amazingly my 2 pensions are nowhere close to !50K.

It may take a full blown riot when the weather becomes really cold so with luck that may assist her to the door.

Riverwalk Sat 24-Sep-22 17:26:14

Did I imagine it or have I just heard Chris Phelps, chief secretary to the treasury, who seems to be the one facing the media, say in relation to the tax cuts

"We're not into the politics of envy... we don't want to penalise those who work hard"

WTF!

I do hate that phrase about envy which is spouted whenever favouring the better off is questioned - haven't heard it in a while.

Lots of people work very hard and don't earn anywhere near £155,000. Why is a high salary equated with working hard?