Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone like to guess how long this government will last?

(93 Posts)
DaisyAnne Fri 23-Sep-22 18:38:13

I think it could be spring, but they may drag it out to the summer.

Parsley3 Sun 25-Sep-22 18:35:53

varian

Oh yes. The very high earners work much harder than anyone else but still need financial incentives to keep working.

The worst off need to have their benefits reduced to incentivise them.

Does anyone really believe that makes any kind of sense?

The perceived thinking of this government seems to be that anyone who is not a high earner is clearly not trying hard enough. Every council worker, NHS worker, shop worker, educationalist, carer etc etc can earn £150000 if they put in a bit more effort. The lazy slackers.

Prentice Sun 25-Sep-22 18:57:04

Dinahmo

I think that they'll manage to win the next election unfortunately. Think back to the last election and try to ignore the Corbyn factor. The LP put forward a decent, costed program which the right wing press rubbished. A large proportion of the country accepted the papers nonsense and voted Tory. No matter how far into the mire they fall, the Tories always come up smelling of roses.

You cannot ignore the Corbyn factor in the last election and blaming the newspapers and voters will not wash.Also the Tories do not always come up smelling of roses and remember how popular the Tony Blair years were.

Katie59 Sun 25-Sep-22 19:03:38

Daisymae

The first cabinet spat is on the cards according to the Times. In pursuit of growth it now seems that the government wishes to welcome more migrants. This is not pleasing some members although I doubt that this is the hill they will choose to die on but it's a start. confused

It’s pretty certain they will recruit more foreign workers, but they will be on limited visas. Many sectors of the economy are desperate for workers, you can’t grow the economy without workers.

Oldnproud Sun 25-Sep-22 19:16:47

I am afraid that the way things are going, there will soon not be enough employment for the current workforce, let alone for additional foreign workers.
Maybe I am a pessimist by nature, but I feel like not just a recession, but a depression like none of us have known in our lifetime is very likely now.

I sincerely hope that I will be proved wrong.

MaizieD Sun 25-Sep-22 19:20:08

Dinahmo

I think that they'll manage to win the next election unfortunately. Think back to the last election and try to ignore the Corbyn factor. The LP put forward a decent, costed program which the right wing press rubbished. A large proportion of the country accepted the papers nonsense and voted Tory. No matter how far into the mire they fall, the Tories always come up smelling of roses.

I don't think that the economy can recover enough in the next two years to woo back the voters. I think this winter is going to be horrific for the greater portion of the UK population and will count against the tories in much the same way as the winter of '78 counted against Labour.

I think the media attacks on Corbyn and Brexit did for Labour in 2019. Neither will have any traction now.

Casdon Sun 25-Sep-22 19:23:51

MaizieD

Dinahmo

I don't think that the economy can recover enough in the next two years to woo back the voters. I think this winter is going to be horrific for the greater portion of the UK population and will count against the tories in much the same way as the winter of '78 counted against Labour.

I think the media attacks on Corbyn and Brexit did for Labour in 2019. Neither will have any traction now.

I agree MaizieD. Starmer has wisely been playing the long game, it’s paying off now, and this government is playing into his hands. I really pity the next government though, it’s going to take years to get us back on an even keel.

MayBee70 Sun 25-Sep-22 20:43:47

I wish Mick Lynch wouldn’t get so much coverage in the media. For someone who supported brexit I fail to see how he has the right to constantly criticise Keir who, imo is in no way anti union but isn’t prepared to play into the hands of the right wing press.

Daisymae Sun 25-Sep-22 22:27:19

Katie59 - while there's a shortage of labour at the moment, this government were elected on a mandate to control immigration. Hence some cabinet unrest

Parsley3 Sun 25-Sep-22 22:32:18

Mick Lynch was on HIGNFY tonight. He said very little and the usual suspects took the proverbial.

MayBee70 Sun 25-Sep-22 23:58:52

Parsley3

Mick Lynch was on HIGNFY tonight. He said very little and the usual suspects took the proverbial.

Thanks for that. I keep forgetting to watch HIGNFY these days. I can’t imagine Mick Lynch having a sense of humour somehow.

MayBee70 Mon 26-Sep-22 00:04:55

I hope I don’t come across as anti union because I’m not! I didn’t like Len McCluskey either though.

DaisyAnne Mon 26-Sep-22 08:51:19

Rather like a "Clean Brexit" there will always be those who want to see what might be called a "Clean Left" or "Clean Right" and are upset if that is not what they hear, MayBee.

In truth, the majority of this country is neither but somewhere in the middle with a possible leaning one way or the other and sometimes a bit of both.

Katie59 Mon 26-Sep-22 09:02:34

Daisymae

Katie59 - while there's a shortage of labour at the moment, this government were elected on a mandate to control immigration. Hence some cabinet unrest

They certainly want to control “migration” (Asylum seekers)
Foreign workers are different I don’t think Tory MPs are against more overseas workers, the NHS, Care sector and industry needs them.
If we are going to take advantage of weak sterling to export or run service Industries more are needed.

Daisymae Mon 26-Sep-22 09:12:45

My understanding is that cabinet members are not happy with this possibly, hence the rumblings. Although looking at the news today it would seem that they probably have other things in their minds.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 09:18:07

Chris Mason reporting

“This is very worrying. All the wheels could come off,” said one Conservative MP to me just now.

The Tories must be tearing their hair out.

Prentice Mon 26-Sep-22 09:38:10

DaisyAnne

Rather like a "Clean Brexit" there will always be those who want to see what might be called a "Clean Left" or "Clean Right" and are upset if that is not what they hear, MayBee.

In truth, the majority of this country is neither but somewhere in the middle with a possible leaning one way or the other and sometimes a bit of both.

This is certainly true.

DaisyAnne Mon 26-Sep-22 10:47:13

Thank you Prentice.