Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour Party policy beginning to be formed

(133 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 11:13:11

First.

Railways to be nationalised.

How will this be done? Gradually over a period of time - as contracts run out the rail line will be taken into public ownership.

Doodledog Mon 26-Sep-22 17:29:38

I don't want to get rid of Angela Rayner, but I do wish the lot of them would stop this 'transwomen are women nonsense'. I don't believe for one minute that any of them don't know the difference between the sexes, or that they can all really have been swayed by the Stonewall agenda, so it's a case of letting themselves be bullied.

I don't wish transpeople any ill; but grannypiper is right - if things carry on as they are, our granddaughters will be breeding stock.

I've thought long and hard about it, and will vote for them because the alternative is too hideous to contemplate and because I do support their other policies; but I will campaign hard to continue the reversal of the trans agenda that started some time ago.

Grannybags Mon 26-Sep-22 17:41:19

Well I’ve voted Tory all my life but if there was a GE tomorrow I’d vote Labour.

As for not voting at all - words fail me ?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 17:46:16

doodledog according to a labour member, who thinks as you do the mood is definitely changing. Like you I will be pleased to see that.

Blossoming Mon 26-Sep-22 17:53:41

The most hopeful thing I have read today. Thank you OP.

LizzieDrip Mon 26-Sep-22 17:54:07

Granddaughters safety. 2 that woman would do more harm than good.

I’m intrigued! Could you please explain further how Angela Raynor is harmful to your granddaughters’ safety?

Casdon Mon 26-Sep-22 18:00:35

LizzieDrip

^Granddaughters safety. 2 that woman would do more harm than good.^

I’m intrigued! Could you please explain further how Angela Raynor is harmful to your granddaughters’ safety?

Me too - unfortunately your granddaughter’s safety is at much more risk from the impact of Trussonomics - there won’t be any police left to protect her before long.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 18:08:07

The Labour Party has voted to ditch FPTP and commit to change to some form of PR in its next manifesto.

Looking good isn’t it?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 18:10:41

Starmer has yet to be convinced, but the argument is there to be won, and we are definitely more than one step towards it.

Iam64 Mon 26-Sep-22 18:11:33

grannypiper

Until Keir can do the following, 1, go in front of a camera and state that a woman was born female, 2,get rid of Rayner my vote will not go to the Labour party.

I’m concerned about the threat from militant trans activists. I’m sure Starmer knows the legal and biological definition of what a woman is

Can you explain the threat posed by Angela Rayner?

DaisyAnne Mon 26-Sep-22 19:20:48

Whitewavemark2

The Labour Party has voted to ditch FPTP and commit to change to some form of PR in its next manifesto.

Looking good isn’t it?

That's great news.

paddyann54 Mon 26-Sep-22 19:31:16

Then Sarwar stood up and made a fool of himself as always .
The ONLY way labour will win in Scotland is by teaming up with the tories to oust SNP ...and they have form for that .
Local council elections where SNP were clear winners now have a coalition of Labour and Tory with tories taking top jobs in the constituencies.
THATS not what the public voted for and I know of many SNP voters and Labour voters who are livid about this happening .
Hopefully the labour voters will jump ship in a different direction and vote for an Independence party instead of more of the same from Westminster.
The next GE will be regarded as a referendum and polls show we will take 54 seats or more with the tories losing all their seats here

Devorgilla Mon 26-Sep-22 19:38:19

Looking forward to Keir's speech tomorrow. Really felt Labour was cutting through with what I have heard so far.

Doodledog Mon 26-Sep-22 19:39:57

Devorgilla

Looking forward to Keir's speech tomorrow. Really felt Labour was cutting through with what I have heard so far.

Do you know when that will be televised, Devorgilla? I'd like to watch.

DaisyAnne Mon 26-Sep-22 20:21:58

DaisyAnne

Whitewavemark2

Looking good isn’t it?

That's great news.

Although it is good news that the party has backed this, it seems Keir Starmer is not looking at making this Labour Party policy. He doesn't see it as a priority. Two days ago, he said, “There are a lot of people in the Labour party who are pro-PR but it’s not a priority and we go into the next election under the same system that we’ve got, first past the post, and I’m not doing any deals going into the election or coming out of the election.”

DaisyAnne Mon 26-Sep-22 20:29:02

Whitewavemark2

First.

Railways to be nationalised.

How will this be done? Gradually over a period of time - as contracts run out the rail line will be taken into public ownership.

This is not direct or immediate nationalisation. They will take back each franchise as it comes up for renewal. Very sensible and not too extreme smile

Devorgilla Mon 26-Sep-22 20:31:25

Keir's speech is scheduled for 2pm tomorrow. It's usually on some of the news channels.

VioletSky Mon 26-Sep-22 20:32:28

Women and their safe spaces are heavily protected by the equality act. Labour has historically been very respectful of things like that.

If you aren't going to vote Labour because trans people exist and Labour believes they also deserve their rights amd protections under the equality act then I have no idea what to say to you.

Prentice Mon 26-Sep-22 20:48:13

Doodledog

I don't want to get rid of Angela Rayner, but I do wish the lot of them would stop this 'transwomen are women nonsense'. I don't believe for one minute that any of them don't know the difference between the sexes, or that they can all really have been swayed by the Stonewall agenda, so it's a case of letting themselves be bullied.

I don't wish transpeople any ill; but grannypiper is right - if things carry on as they are, our granddaughters will be breeding stock.

I've thought long and hard about it, and will vote for them because the alternative is too hideous to contemplate and because I do support their other policies; but I will campaign hard to continue the reversal of the trans agenda that started some time ago.

It is very worrying, this trend to do down women and I hope that Keir Starmer will not go along with what Stonewall continue to spout on this matter.
Since women are voters I think in any case it would be a sensible approach to take to reassure them.

VioletSky unfortunately women and their safe spaces are not really protected, as if they were no woman would be sexually assaulted in a hospital ward or a prison or anywhere else by a transwoman.
There is a world of difference between what Stonewall want, what is really happening and the rights and protections of transwomen, and nothing should come before the rights of women.I think the Labour Party do know this but sometimes struggle to acknowledge it properly.

VioletSky Mon 26-Sep-22 21:06:20

I'm not really interested in another trans argument.

I will just say that men attacking women by masquerading as something else has nothing to do with genuine trans people and to conflate the two is discriminatory. I'm so tired of trying to explain this to people.

Historically though, people have always done this and blamed entire demographics unfairly for the actions of a few, often a few that has nothing to do with the rest, and its never been a good look.

Be angry at abusive men by all means, close the loopholes, protect women, but this gerneralised anti trans rhetoric continuously puts trans people at risk of harm as well as masculine appearing women and butch lesbians.

Transphobia and the bullying of anyone who is believed to be trans by not conforming to gender norms actually has roots in sexism and that's very clear if you think aboutb it for a moment.

As a feminist, this is not what I want for my children.

I'd have a rethink genuinely because many people are coming down on the wrong side of this debate and causing incredible harm to innocent people.

/Ted talk

Prentice Mon 26-Sep-22 21:13:44

I think I have heard enough, actually more than enough about trans rights.The worry is not only about those posing as transwomen in order to assault women, but the general feeling from authorities being bullied into submission that a minority should have sway.
I do agree on the fact that this is a thread about the Labour Party though, and not the trans issues.

Doodledog Mon 26-Sep-22 21:24:21

Devorgilla

Keir's speech is scheduled for 2pm tomorrow. It's usually on some of the news channels.

Thanks. BBC News will probably broadcast it.

Mollygo Mon 26-Sep-22 21:46:13

Actually, if KS simply addressed the explained that he does know
the difference between male and female and explained how, then the matter could rest. I don’t believe he doesn’t know, but it concerns me that he feels afraid/ unwilling to explain or even bullied into not clarifying the Labour Party position. I’ll be recording the news tomorrow.

Zuki Mon 26-Sep-22 21:54:39

Labour not making much of an impression yet
How about pound shops in hospitals instead of the expensive shops that get in hospitals and cheap supermarket s in deprived areas.Reducing class sizes inn schools Make it easy for people to run a business from home loads of people can't make money because they can't afford the rent they would be charghed

Doodledog Mon 26-Sep-22 22:12:34

What is stopping people from running a business from home (that a government could do anything about, I mean)?

Dinahmo Mon 26-Sep-22 22:37:45

Zuki

Labour not making much of an impression yet
How about pound shops in hospitals instead of the expensive shops that get in hospitals and cheap supermarket s in deprived areas.Reducing class sizes inn schools Make it easy for people to run a business from home loads of people can't make money because they can't afford the rent they would be charghed

It is very easy to run a business from home. I work from home. My DH did before he retired. The majority of my clients also work from home. It's not a problem. Just do it.

Of course, if you were intending to run a furniture making workshop from you front room you might have a problem.