Gransnet forums

News & politics

How many prime ministers until Christmas?

(86 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 16:41:57

Ken Clarke has posted a text from Ian Brady

“FFS will they ever let me rest!”

I am guessing letters arriving in.

Casdon Tue 27-Sep-22 07:44:36

Dickens

Prentice

For the sake of the UK we do not want another change in PM before a general election.It is too much!
There is too much unrest and uncertainty in Europe as it is.

Do you realise how the sinking £ will affect every household in the UK - how much this will affect the cost of living?

The unrest and uncertainty is being fuelled further by Truss' and Kwarteng's borrowing madness. The markets are spooked and that's really bad news for us.

Neither of these two self-proclaimed economic messiahs have a mandate for this fiscal madness.

Actually I think Prentice is right. We now need a general election immediately.

growstuff Tue 27-Sep-22 08:22:01

Whitewavemark2

Truss being reported in USA as “bonkers”

Each Tory PM is worse than the last, but I thought we’d reached the bottom of the barrel with Johnson, but no, the Tories have managed to do it again and inflict someone along with her ex-lover, who is not only corrupt but willing to trash the U.K. even further.

Kwarteng is not Truss' ex-lover.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Sep-22 08:53:51

growstuff

Whitewavemark2

Each Tory PM is worse than the last, but I thought we’d reached the bottom of the barrel with Johnson, but no, the Tories have managed to do it again and inflict someone along with her ex-lover, who is not only corrupt but willing to trash the U.K. even further.

Oh I thought he was? Sorry about that misinformation

Daisymae Tue 27-Sep-22 08:59:08

Tory MP interviewed on R4 this morning blamed yesterday in the Bank of England for not raising interest rates last year. He also said something about axing HS2. I was surprised that the presenter didn't pick up in this, he said that I wish that they would get on and announce it. Anyone else listening in? I guess that its part of a a public spending package cut to pay for the tax rise?!???

Lovetopaint037 Tue 27-Sep-22 09:10:15

Matthew Parrish, writing in the Times a short while ago, finished an article relating to Liz Truss by stating “She is crackers”.
She was backed by Johnson. Of course she would be, if you are ousted out for being a bounder, then act like one and make sure the worst candidate takes his place. Whatever makes him look good is the order of the day.

MayBee70 Tue 27-Sep-22 09:18:42

Whitewavemark2

growstuff

Whitewavemark2

Oh I thought he was? Sorry about that misinformation

No. Her ex lover is that MP that got into trouble for manhandling ( is that still a term that’s used) at a meeting a few years ago. I think, anyway.

MaizieD Tue 27-Sep-22 09:23:26

I wonder if Truss feels an iota of remorse, shame, fear, despair, guilt, responsibility etc about what she has reduced the UK to in such a short time?

Surely any normal person in her position would be a gibbering wreck by now?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Sep-22 09:25:37

Oh yes of course! - Kwartang went out with Rudd I think.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Sep-22 09:26:26

MaizieD

I wonder if Truss feels an iota of remorse, shame, fear, despair, guilt, responsibility etc about what she has reduced the UK to in such a short time?

Where is she? No question of appearing to steady the ship.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Sep-22 09:28:01

This will mean curtains for many household budgets.

Richard Murphy
@RichardJMurphy
·
14m
"The financial markets are expecting that the Bank of England will be forced to raise the official bank rate to 6%, to counter the inflationary effect of the Treasury’s mammoth tax cuts." That's Hargreaves Lansdown this morning. Most UK households could not afford these rates...

Nannagarra Tue 27-Sep-22 13:18:45

Kwasi Kwarteng + Amber Rudd (married A. A. Gill)
Liz Truss + Mark Field

Riverwalk Tue 27-Sep-22 13:41:10

To be fair to Kwarteng and Rudd they were both single at the time - nothing wrong with this office romance.

Truss and Field were married to other people!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Sep-22 13:57:39

November

I keep reading that as well as further tax cuts that will largely benefit the rich again, the Tufton Street gang are full throttle to sweep away as much of the welfare state as they possibly can.

SueDonim Tue 27-Sep-22 14:16:35

MaizieD

I don’t much get involved in politics threads as I am not knowledgable enough but I can tell you that the dreams I’m having about the current economic situation is reducing me to a gibbering wreck. sad

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Sep-22 14:25:24

SueDonim

MaizieD

I don’t much get involved in politics threads as I am not knowledgable enough but I can tell you that the dreams I’m having about the current economic situation is reducing me to a gibbering wreck. sad

Everybody is knowledgable enough?

Dickens Tue 27-Sep-22 15:19:28

Truss said she doesn't care if her tax cuts make her unpopular.

Margaret Thatcher didn't care either when she took office. But she did, at least, cushion to some extent the fall-out from the unemployment caused by her plans (oil money helped).

But even she came a cropper with the poll-tax. Her own party turned against her recognising the damage she was doing to the party.

The 'red wall' lent Johnson their vote to get Brexit done. They didn't know what was on the cards. Now they can see what they ultimately voted for - the free-market libertarian economic model that will benefit the 'blue wall' in the South, largely at their expense. Northern Tory MPs are already expressing their fears that this move is going to lose them seats.

Ultimately, this £biliion borrowing will have to be paid back. I'm pretty sure there will be some major cuts in public spending. The cuts won't be 'to the bone' - they've already reached that point, these cuts will be to the actual bone itself. And if anyone thinks it will only be the 'benefit scroungers' who are affected, they are going to be shocked. All public spending will be on the table. It won't just be "the poor" who are going to suffer. Those who are coping, just-about-managing, will also feel the pain.

Just wait until the home repossessions start when millions are unable to afford the £hundreds per year due to interest rate rises, which we've been warned will increase further if necessary.

I don't think Truss should spend too much time choosing new wallpaper for Downing Street...

NotTooOld Tue 27-Sep-22 22:30:11

Whitewavemark2

Whitewave - her ex-lover? Is that true?

NotTooOld Tue 27-Sep-22 22:34:08

Sorry Whitewave - just read the rest of the thread. Question answered.

NotTooOld Tue 27-Sep-22 22:35:54

I also heard the exchange on R4 about the possibility of HS2 being scrapped. How on earth did the interviewer miss that? It was a little gold nugget of info and he ignored it.

DaisyAnne Tue 27-Sep-22 23:13:21

I agree with all your post except the last sentence Dickens. The rest is exactly right. This was their intention. But Truss et al will dig themselves in. She is not only far-right she is a believer. This is exactly what they wanted. To destroy any remaining sign of the post war mixed economy. She must have some sort of Joan of Arc complex to have backed what Kwarteng was going to do. She will have known what it would lead to.

MayBee70 Tue 27-Sep-22 23:33:36

Talk on Sky News of Kwarteng and Truss having a massive argument the other day. How did our country come to this.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Sep-22 05:33:22

MayBee70

Talk on Sky News of Kwarteng and Truss having a massive argument the other day. How did our country come to this.

Yes I’ve heard that.

They’ve only been in power for a few days, the wheels are already falling off.

It seems have been generally thought that Truss would be a bad PM, but I’m not sure that in peoples wildest dreams that she would be this bad.

pascal30 Thu 29-Sep-22 11:21:58

and Sunak is vetoeing the next party conference... a party of unity!!!

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 11:25:19

The Prime minister with the total shortest period in office was George Canning, whose sole term lasted 119 days from 12 April 1827 until his death on 8 August 1827.

So far. Will Ms Truss beat the record?

leeds22 Thu 29-Sep-22 11:45:28

Almost makes me wish Boris had never left. I keep asking DH if we are too old to emigrate.