Gransnet forums

News & politics

How many prime ministers until Christmas?

(86 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Sep-22 16:41:57

Ken Clarke has posted a text from Ian Brady

“FFS will they ever let me rest!”

I am guessing letters arriving in.

MaizieD Fri 30-Sep-22 15:05:31

Not sure I would call them useless, Normandygirl. I think their ignorance is downright dangerous.

Witness the events of the past few days.

Normandygirl Fri 30-Sep-22 14:37:47

Whitewavemark2

Ken Clarke has posted a text from Ian Brady

“FFS will they ever let me rest!”

I am guessing letters arriving in.

And who would replace her? Since the Tories have adopted their current extremist position, they have got rid of all their clever principled people. Every possible replacement would be as bad as Truss. The Conservative Party now consists entirely of useless dunderheads.

volver Fri 30-Sep-22 14:02:05

There are undoubtedly many people in Scotland who want to remain in the Union. I would love to debate the actual facts with them. However if the only arguments that can be brought up by Unionist supporters are along the lines of "Sturgeon is a wee wummin from Ayr who doesn't know her place and hates the English so I don't want independence" then there's not much point in getting involved, is there?

There is a thing doing the rounds on Twitter at the moment about how there are no right wing stand-up comedians in Scotland. The answer is always that anybody can be a stand-up comedian, just get up there and have a go. Same with Unionists on GN. Come along with some valid arguments and we'll have a debate.

As for support for independence falling - there's this.... A Major annual public opinion survey has recorded its highest level of support for Scottish independence - at 52 per cent - and concluded the Union “has become decidedly less popular”.

Survey led by Sir John Curtice, not known for his bias.
www.heraldscotland.com/politics/22483799.scottish-independence-record-level-support-annual-survey/

Prentice Fri 30-Sep-22 12:00:21

Very interesting OmaforMaya and of course there are very many in Scotland that do not want independence, but unfortunately we do not hear enough from them perhaps?
Yes Glorianny I can well imagine that could be true.

volver Fri 30-Sep-22 11:58:03

The number of people who voted Yes in the past has notably decreased due to the Scottish Government's disgraceful incompetence in governing Scotland.

You do know that being an independent country means we get to choose our own government, and they may not be SNP?

Probably not. It's quite complex thinking, isn't it.

OmaforMaya Fri 30-Sep-22 11:28:27

Oldbat1

We are a disgrace as a country. Neither wonder Scotland are desperate to leave - if only.

Please note: ALL SCOTTISH PEOPLE DO NOT WANT THE UNION BROKEN UP!! WE SAID "NO" EIGHT YEARS AGO AND IT WILL BE A "NO" AGAIN SHOULD SNP MANAGE ANOTHER REFERENDUM. The number of people who voted Yes in the past has notably decreased due to the Scottish Government's disgraceful incompetence in governing Scotland and its more recent failures eg the massive problems with the Ferry situation and closure of certain industries resulting in jobs lost and families suffering. If Nicola Sturgeon would keep her nose and her Passport out of global matters of which she has no remit she might see what's going on here in Scotland and seriously get down to fixing matters but she seems to think her input is required in every global predicament and has to jet off to wherever to put in her tuppence worth.
Everything she touches fails and ends up costing Scotland millions. Nicola Sturgeon absolutely despises all things English other than the cash aid which we received from Westminster during the Pandemic...and her hand is still out for more. Also her Government's failures are always blamed on Westminster.....never her fault. I sincerely say God help us here in Scotland should she ever gain Indpendence from the United Kingdom......so please our English cousins do not paint all Scots with the same brush. Thank you for reading.

MaizieD Fri 30-Sep-22 09:34:18

MayBee70

polly123

Truss and co. are a complete disaster. They are now tinkering with (cancelling) the triple lock pension which was promised. How is it possible to have two such individuals in power with no mandate for their 'polices'.

And, if they don’t cancel it, young people who are struggling will blame pensioners for the financial problems. Divide and rule, which is something the Conservative government has been implementing for several years now.

If people could only be brought to realise that taxation doesn't fund spending (so the triple lock isn't impinging on younger people in any way) then 'divide and rule' would become an obsolete political tool.

Glorianny Fri 30-Sep-22 09:22:51

Does anyone else now imagine Boris is sitting there laughing his head off??? And perhaps (but this is scary) planning a come back.

MayBee70 Fri 30-Sep-22 09:10:17

polly123

Truss and co. are a complete disaster. They are now tinkering with (cancelling) the triple lock pension which was promised. How is it possible to have two such individuals in power with no mandate for their 'polices'.

And, if they don’t cancel it, young people who are struggling will blame pensioners for the financial problems. Divide and rule, which is something the Conservative government has been implementing for several years now.

Casdon Fri 30-Sep-22 08:05:57

Nannina

1922 committee rules say PM has to be in power for at least a year before no confidence vote so first hurdle would be to get that changed. In the meantime Truss and co will be free to create as much mayhem as they want unchallenged for weeks

I don’t think that’s a problem in reality, the same rule applied once a PM had won a no confidence vote, but they still found a way for Boris to be ousted.

Nannina Fri 30-Sep-22 07:54:54

1922 committee rules say PM has to be in power for at least a year before no confidence vote so first hurdle would be to get that changed. In the meantime Truss and co will be free to create as much mayhem as they want unchallenged for weeks

pascal30 Thu 29-Sep-22 18:15:36

There's an organisation called Enough is Enough doing demonstrations this Sat Oct 1st all around the country... look at their webpage for venues and information.

polly123 Thu 29-Sep-22 17:53:04

Casdon

polly123

According to ITV News today, that’s not the case.

‘Although a decision is being made on benefits, a source confirmed that pensions would be protected whatever the outcome, because Liz Truss promised during her campaign to maintain the triple lock for pensions.

It states that pensions will rise by the highest of three numbers - earnings growth, price inflation or 2.5%. ‘

Have you seen something that says that position has changed today?

There was no clarity last night during an interview on Peston and this has since been commented on in the news. However, since writing this, it appears that the government are now'absolutely committed' to going ahead with the triple lock.

growstuff Thu 29-Sep-22 17:34:51

Applegran

I think saying she doesn't care if she is unpopular could equate to "I won't listen to others who don't like what I am doing because I am so sure I am right!" Good leaders listen! And good leaders care about the most disadvantaged people in their society. Let's hope for a general election and I hope it will be the last one on the basis of first past the post. Let's get fair votes! and an honest and competent government - that would be a delightful change.

I don't think Truss is a good leader and she certainly doesn't care about the disadvantaged (ie not in the top few percent).

growstuff Thu 29-Sep-22 17:33:18

Vintagenonna

Dominic Cummings allegedly said Truss was as close to completely crackers as anyone he'd met in government.

And he should know . . .

Asked on local radio today about a nurse benefitting by £157 via tax cuts versus £50K for millionaire earnings - did she agree it was a form of reverse Robin Hood - and she just said it 'wasn't true'.

That doesn't make her crackers. It makes her a hard-nosed liar. We've been softened up for a complete disregard for the truth by the last few years.

growstuff Thu 29-Sep-22 17:31:39

I don't think Truss is crackers and she does listen - to her puppet masters in Tufton Street.

One of the organisations based in the Tufton Street offices is the Taxpayers's Alliance.

The former Chief Executive of the Taxpayers' Alliance is Matthew Sinclair, who is now Truss' Chief Economic Adviser. Sinclair is a fanatical free-marketer, who has campaigned against restrictions on tobacco use and green issues. He wrote a book called "Let them eat carbon".

It's not difficult to see where this government is heading.

Vintagenonna Thu 29-Sep-22 17:25:39

Dominic Cummings allegedly said Truss was as close to completely crackers as anyone he'd met in government.

And he should know . . .

Asked on local radio today about a nurse benefitting by £157 via tax cuts versus £50K for millionaire earnings - did she agree it was a form of reverse Robin Hood - and she just said it 'wasn't true'.

Bijou Thu 29-Sep-22 17:19:39

We are becoming a third World country.
The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.
I wonder what my grandfather who helped to form the Labour Party would think?
There should be a General Election. Although the Labour Party are going to the right now.

Applegran Thu 29-Sep-22 17:07:15

I think saying she doesn't care if she is unpopular could equate to "I won't listen to others who don't like what I am doing because I am so sure I am right!" Good leaders listen! And good leaders care about the most disadvantaged people in their society. Let's hope for a general election and I hope it will be the last one on the basis of first past the post. Let's get fair votes! and an honest and competent government - that would be a delightful change.

Casdon Thu 29-Sep-22 16:55:42

polly123

According to ITV News today, that’s not the case.

‘Although a decision is being made on benefits, a source confirmed that pensions would be protected whatever the outcome, because Liz Truss promised during her campaign to maintain the triple lock for pensions.

It states that pensions will rise by the highest of three numbers - earnings growth, price inflation or 2.5%. ‘

Have you seen something that says that position has changed today?

jocork Thu 29-Sep-22 16:05:45

Traders are referring to Truss as 'Daggers' - as in Dagenham, 2 stops past Barking!

And I thought Boris was bad....

Fereshtay Thu 29-Sep-22 15:29:31

You're right. Never known a worse government.

polly123 Thu 29-Sep-22 14:37:38

Grantanow Thu 29-Sep-22 13:51:50

Interesting to hear from grown ups like Ken Clarke and Mark Carney. It's not 'strong and stable': we all misheard. It's 'wrong and rabid'.

Glorianny Thu 29-Sep-22 13:19:52

I find it absolutely stunning that the Conservatives always labelled as the party who could be trusted to run the economy have made such a pig's ear of things. Labour apparently bankrupted the country but the whole world was in recession. The Conservatives are creating a uniquely British one and borrowing to fund it! (Wasn't that something they said they wouldn't do????)
As for LIz Truss. Jan Raven does the best impression of her as the little girl whose daddy always told her she was clever and funny! www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku5kmMCx7q8