Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is the Tories *real* intention?

(98 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 29-Sep-22 11:27:13

I'm not a Conservative voter, so I'm not able to be rational enough on this issue to come up with anything sensible.

So, to those who understand what they're trying to achieve, could you explain to me?

I understand their usual approach. I might disagree with it, but I understand the general theory of minimal state intevention, market forces etc. But what we have now isn't that. So...

Help please?

growstuff Thu 29-Sep-22 19:41:54

I thought I posted this before, but I can't find it.

Truss' new Chief Economic Adviser is Matthew Sinclair, the former Chief Executive of the Taxpayers' Alliance, one of the organisations based in Tufton Street.

Sinclair is a fanatical free marketeer, who has, for example, campaigned against restrictions on tobacco use and against climate change mitigation. He authored a book called "Let them eat carbon".

It's fairly obvious where this government is heading.

varian Thu 29-Sep-22 19:56:24

To oblivion?

Wyllow3 Thu 29-Sep-22 20:04:32

"against climate change mitigation."

Well that's one of the first issues that jumped out at me. When they've stripped the planet of resources in the name of free market economics -cui bono? their own children and grandchildren? what do they say about that?

Wyllow3 Thu 29-Sep-22 20:06:36

(....and for anyone seeing this flaw in their plan, its makes even more sense that Starmer chose the flagship green national policy as a central plank, as the weakness even the selfish when it concerns benefits will detect).

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 29-Sep-22 20:09:04

There are ‘the Tories’, aka Truss and her chosen cabinet. Then there are the rest of the Conservative MPs.

Casdon Thu 29-Sep-22 20:12:24

Germanshepherdsmum

There are ‘the Tories’, aka Truss and her chosen cabinet. Then there are the rest of the Conservative MPs.

Isn’t it Truss, cabinet and the ERG - and the rest of the Tories?

Katie59 Thu 29-Sep-22 20:16:19

This is sounding like the US, less regulation, less state benefits, less free health care, less welfare and environmental regulation.
I can imagine a lot of Tory businesses are going to be jumping for joy, freedom to exploit at last.

DaisyAnne Thu 29-Sep-22 20:41:48

GSM this interview with Rory Stewart was flagged up elsewhere. He talks about whether Johnson, Truss and Kwarteng are actually Conservatives.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3YgpZhgrDE

growstuff Thu 29-Sep-22 20:53:46

DaisyAnne

GSM this interview with Rory Stewart was flagged up elsewhere. He talks about whether Johnson, Truss and Kwarteng are actually Conservatives.

Thanks for posting that. Well worth watching.

MaizieD Thu 29-Sep-22 21:26:14

Katie59

This is sounding like the US, less regulation, less state benefits, less free health care, less welfare and environmental regulation.
I can imagine a lot of Tory businesses are going to be jumping for joy, freedom to exploit at last.

Yes, KAtie59

And more poverty and lower average life expectation.

Great, isn't it?

Will there be enough people with money for tory businesses to exploit?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Sep-22 21:41:14

Exploitation in the form of total de-regulation of pay levels, hours worked, working conditions, health and safety.

Don’t make the mistake that thinking it won’t happen - Zero working hours - something unthinkable when we began to work already exists, and pay so low that people are forced to food banks and seek state assistance.

Normandygirl Fri 30-Sep-22 01:51:09

Whitewavemark2

Exploitation in the form of total de-regulation of pay levels, hours worked, working conditions, health and safety.

Don’t make the mistake that thinking it won’t happen - Zero working hours - something unthinkable when we began to work already exists, and pay so low that people are forced to food banks and seek state assistance.

So, we are going for the American economic model then?
Will we all be able to buy guns soon?

growstuff Fri 30-Sep-22 02:21:50

MaizieD

Katie59

Yes, KAtie59

And more poverty and lower average life expectation.

Great, isn't it?

Will there be enough people with money for tory businesses to exploit?

Lower life expectation only for some.

Thérèse Coffey scraps promised paper on health inequality:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/sep/29/therese-coffey-scraps-promised-paper-on-health-inequality

Daisymae Fri 30-Sep-22 07:37:59

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/30/environmental-destruction-is-part-of-liz-trusss-plan?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
Planned destruction of the environment. Money, greed, anything to benefit the few. This must be stopped

Katie59 Fri 30-Sep-22 07:38:43

There is no doubt regulation in many areas has been costing us a great deal and holding back economic growth. Even compared to the EU our regulations have affected development in many areas - yes, much worse than EU!.

Thankfully the pressure on sterling has abated for now with a return to above $1.10 and Kwarteng deciding perhaps he ought to talk to the OBR. That does not excuse the inept way that the Mini Budget was handled last week, he is a loose cannon and should not be chancellor. As for Truss it would save money to have Muffin the Mule as PM at least it would be obvious it was being manipulated by strings

MaizieD Fri 30-Sep-22 08:35:24

There is no doubt regulation in many areas has been costing us a great deal and holding back economic growth. Even compared to the EU our regulations have affected development in many areas - yes, much worse than EU!.

Really, Katie59? Really?

You sound like Brexit voting Free Marketeer!

Like to give us some examples?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 08:59:22

The Tories are now the most economically right wing party in the world.

Katie59 Fri 30-Sep-22 09:06:12

MaizieD

^There is no doubt regulation in many areas has been costing us a great deal and holding back economic growth. Even compared to the EU our regulations have affected development in many areas - yes, much worse than EU!.^

Really, Katie59? Really?

You sound like Brexit voting Free Marketeer!

Like to give us some examples?

The glaring one is housing, the amount of regulation has restricted land availability and inflated house prices to a ridiculous level
It probably adds at least £50k to the cost of an average house, don’t blame developers blame regulation.

MaizieD Fri 30-Sep-22 09:24:40

What regulations are preventing these from being built, Katie59?

www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/08/over-1m-homes-in-england-with-planning-permission-not-built

MayBee70 Fri 30-Sep-22 09:44:05

DaisyAnne

Thanks for that. Really enjoyed it ( love Rory anyway so slightly biased).I’d seen that link a couple of days ago and had been searching for it. He said pretty much the same things in the latest The Rest is Politics podcast but explained his own political position more in this interview. Just think, we could have had him as our PM. It also made me realise why I’m at odds with many people in my Labour Party in that I am a very conservative lover of tradition, the past, the countryside and extreme change of any kind frightens me (which is what’s happening now). The interview also made me realise how important it was for Keir to move the Labour Party towards the centre ground. I can’t believe the mess we’re in.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Sep-22 09:49:34

DaisyAnne

Indeed DaisyAnne. The OP queries ‘the Tories’’ real intention. I draw a distinction between Truss and her cabinet and what I call ‘the Conservatives’.

Katie59 Fri 30-Sep-22 10:00:46

MaizieD

What regulations are preventing these from being built, Katie59?

www.theguardian.com/society/2021/may/08/over-1m-homes-in-england-with-planning-permission-not-built

They are not being built because the cost is too high the developers cannot get the finance to start a project if the buyers can’t get mortgages.
There is a large site close to me that has stopped because a road improvement plan cannot be financed in addition to the land purchase.
In this area, the midlands the land for residential use costs over £100k per house, it will be more in the SE. Less planning restrictions would reduce the land cost, if we need the houses get them built.

JaneJudge Fri 30-Sep-22 10:13:42

This thread is really interesting, thank you.

The cost of new build homes is pushed up by traditional build regulations, that is true.

I was reading about this the other day, it sounds interesting

www.mkfm.com/news/local-news/developers-chosen-for-pilot-scheme-to-build-160-homes-faster-in-new-milton-keynes-estate/

MayBee70 Fri 30-Sep-22 10:21:27

Wasn’t it said at the time that, had the Twin Towers been built to U.K. regulations they wouldn’t have collapsed the way they did? ( I could be wrong: I read it a long time ago). Which made me realise that our buildings regulations were there for a reason and were probably the best in the world.

MaizieD Fri 30-Sep-22 10:27:41

^ Less planning restrictions would reduce the land cost, if we need the houses get them built.^

How would less planning restrictions reduce the land cost?

Are you talking about restrictions on where houses can actually be built? Does this lead to scarcity of suitable land, thus giving landowners the opportunity to increase the price ?

They are not being built because the cost is too high...

Do you mean the cost of complying with building regulations? The ones that stop developers building poorly insulated rabbit hutches with shoddy materials?