Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Liz Truss lying or just ignorant of her own policies?

(148 Posts)
vegansrock Fri 30-Sep-22 06:58:11

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere - I couldn’t find it, but think it deserved its own thread. On local radio she said
“Through the energy price guarantee, the maximum will be £2,500” (Radio Leeds)
and also said
“no family, no household will pay over £2,500” (CNN)
This is wrong and could lull some into a false state of security. This is just the average household use. The total bill is not capped, if you leave your heating on full blast day and night you will pay more than £2,500. If you consume less, you will pay less. Is she deliberately misleading or does she not understand her own policies? Why did no sharp interviewer pull her up on this one?

DaisyAnne Fri 30-Sep-22 13:07:23

M0nica

DaisyAnne you are in no place to criticise other people fortheir supposed bias, when you rown sticks out so far it trips people up.

Thank you for your insight Monica. I recognise my own bias and often comment that I am aware that is why I hold the views I hold.

Your bias, it appears, is personal - not pleasant.

Dickens Fri 30-Sep-22 13:13:38

DaisyAnne

Government is not a game Urmstongran. Playing at Head Girl or anything else is ruining people's lives, their futures, the country's reputation and consequently our ability to do well in the world.

I understand your anger at this move by Truss and Kwarteng, but I think we are allowed a little frivolity in our comments.

The media itself is indulging in a little levity - it's a very British thing, especially in politics - and I don't see why anyone's "bias" should preclude them from the same indulgence.

Urms is hardly giving Truss a ringing endorsement and, whilst I don't share her (Urmstongran's) outlook or optimism, I think the comparison with an over-enthusiastic bossy Head Girl is quite apt. In fact, during her campaign to become PM, she made me wince because she reminded me of an ex-headmistress who wouldn't brook any questions on her dogmatic statements and observations, and simply insisted that we "be told". Her (Truss') style rubs people up the wrong way and it's inevitable that she will be ribbed for it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 13:16:03

A bossy head girl who is going to fail her exams.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Sep-22 13:21:46

Thank you Dickens for understanding what I was trying to get across - and better put!

DaisyAnne Fri 30-Sep-22 14:02:12

Dickens

DaisyAnne

Government is not a game Urmstongran. Playing at Head Girl or anything else is ruining people's lives, their futures, the country's reputation and consequently our ability to do well in the world.

I understand your anger at this move by Truss and Kwarteng, but I think we are allowed a little frivolity in our comments.

The media itself is indulging in a little levity - it's a very British thing, especially in politics - and I don't see why anyone's "bias" should preclude them from the same indulgence.

Urms is hardly giving Truss a ringing endorsement and, whilst I don't share her (Urmstongran's) outlook or optimism, I think the comparison with an over-enthusiastic bossy Head Girl is quite apt. In fact, during her campaign to become PM, she made me wince because she reminded me of an ex-headmistress who wouldn't brook any questions on her dogmatic statements and observations, and simply insisted that we "be told". Her (Truss') style rubs people up the wrong way and it's inevitable that she will be ribbed for it.

Thank you for offering your views about how I should reply to posts Dickens. I did mention that Truss and her plans had me in tears the other day. I do think it's a bit much to expect people to move from that to finding others frivolity appropriate.

I expect you, and the frivolous one will be fine. I know too many who will not be to find it a bit of a laugh.

Glorianny Fri 30-Sep-22 14:12:49

Dear Diary Did some radio I was brilliant!

No concept of lies or ignorance just self obsessed

Normandygirl Fri 30-Sep-22 14:12:54

I thought Boris Johnson would go down as the worst PM in history, turns out he's not even the worst PM in September.

62Granny Fri 30-Sep-22 14:21:46

She is even more boring and blinkered that Teresa May was , I don't think she can think for herself and just quotes things verbatim from pre arranged script.

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 14:32:03

62Granny

She is even more boring and blinkered that Teresa May was , I don't think she can think for herself and just quotes things verbatim from pre arranged script.

She is totally opposite to Theresa May.
I'd prefer boring to frighteningly unpredictable and stubborn.

dolphindaisy Fri 30-Sep-22 14:37:48

Liz Truss has certainly proved me wrong, I really believed we couldn't get a worse Prime Minister than Boris ......

Dickens Fri 30-Sep-22 15:03:56

DaisyAnne

Thank you for offering your views about how I should reply to posts Dickens.

Nowhere in my comment did I make any suggestion as to how you should reply to posts.

With due respect, it is you telling others how they should respond to the situation - or rather, how they should not respond.

I, too, have been in despair over Truss' and Kwarteng's economic policy (as much as we even know what it is at the moment); and I also know that this is just the beginning of a very slippery slope we are headed down - this mini-budget is the tip of the iceberg, what is hidden underneath is deliberately being kept a secret. I have read Britannia Unchained and I understand the Hayekian ideology that these two intend to adopt.

Sometimes people use humour to mitigate a situation where feeling bad is the only other option. I choose to do that. Which you interpret as meaning that I will be fine in the future. An assumption you've made because I haven't reacted in the way you think I should. I'll leave it at that.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 15:46:17

Oh dear - we aren’t out if the woods yet it would seem

Professor Danny Blanchflower economist & fisherman

UK pension schemes are dumping stocks and bonds to raise cash and seeking bailouts from their corporate backers as the crisis in the industry continues to rage a week after the government’s “mini” Budget. Really bad….

Dickens Fri 30-Sep-22 15:56:15

Glorianny

Dear Diary Did some radio I was brilliant!

No concept of lies or ignorance just self obsessed

... those little legs and feet dangling from the chair just add a certain something... a kind of ludicrous cosiness! I was looking for the tail-of-the-devil poking out from behind though...

O, wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as others see us!

Daisymae Fri 30-Sep-22 15:58:32

Truss and Kwarteng have been planning this for years. They are totally convinced they are in the right and just have to plough on regardless for it all to come good. In their eyes good seems just to equate to a few people making lots of money. Hence a callous disregard for ecology, people who disagree etc. They are backed by powerful people, they are not in the driving seat by accident.

DaisyAnne Fri 30-Sep-22 16:47:59

Dickens

DaisyAnne

Thank you for offering your views about how I should reply to posts Dickens.

Nowhere in my comment did I make any suggestion as to how you should reply to posts.

With due respect, it is you telling others how they should respond to the situation - or rather, how they should not respond.

I, too, have been in despair over Truss' and Kwarteng's economic policy (as much as we even know what it is at the moment); and I also know that this is just the beginning of a very slippery slope we are headed down - this mini-budget is the tip of the iceberg, what is hidden underneath is deliberately being kept a secret. I have read Britannia Unchained and I understand the Hayekian ideology that these two intend to adopt.

Sometimes people use humour to mitigate a situation where feeling bad is the only other option. I choose to do that. Which you interpret as meaning that I will be fine in the future. An assumption you've made because I haven't reacted in the way you think I should. I'll leave it at that.

Why would I actually care how you react? I have no control over you, nor should you believe you should have any over me. I came off GN, went out and came back to you still stirring the pot. Why?

If you don't know by now that Urmstongran will always find a way to allow the party she favours a get out, whatever they have done. I find that insulting; you don't.

As far as I am aware you have not been made monitor (to join the Head Girl) and you are, like me, just offering an opinion.

DaisyAnne Fri 30-Sep-22 17:03:29

Moving on. I think this give a good idea about the attempt to deceive.

When Liz Truss floated the idea of sidelining the Office of Budget Responsibility for her government's first fiscal statement, the argument went that the announcements would target the energy crisis - and they couldn't wait. An anticipation around the fiscal event grew, and it became clear that it would include more than an energy update, MPs started to suspect foul play. "Cutting out the OBR now feels deliberate" one Minister told me this week; an overtly political attempt to avoid scrutiny of Kwasi Kwarteng's growth plans and spending splurge. (Source: Spectator)

Ilovecheese Fri 30-Sep-22 17:20:21

I think that Urmstongran is possibly correct in saying that Liz Truss wants the best for the country, I just think she doesn't actually feel the same about the people that live here. She wants to see a headline like "Liz Truss has grown the British Economy" and if she has impoverished a good number of its citizens that is a price she is willing to pay. She thinks most of us are idlers who just need a bit more graft anyway.

DaisyAnne Fri 30-Sep-22 17:34:44

You could be right - with both of them. Kwertang also said that "We have grown a culture in which people can, as a lifestyle, opt not to work". That would be the lack of childcare and social care then.

He has said he will cut benefits if people don't find jobs/hours. There are people on Twitter (so a pinch of salt is needed) saying they have heard of some very harsh "welfare" decisions coming in the next few months.

Ilovecheese Fri 30-Sep-22 17:44:40

And yet, a couple of generations ago the Conservatives billed themselves as the party of the family and wanted to encourage mothers to bring up their own children, now they want them to go out to work somehow, there are rumours of changes in childcare regulations which will no doubt mean more children being looked after by less adults.

They either don't believe in either physical or mental disability or they just don't care.

Wyllow3 Fri 30-Sep-22 17:47:26

Whitewavemark2

With regards to the price cap - it is certainly ignorance.

The worrying thing is the fact that she was nearly the author of a complete collapse of our pensions yesterday - saved by the BoE. To say that it is the fault of Putin and world economy is a lie.

That what got me, "oh it's all Putins fault".
(raised eyes in utter disbelief emoji here)

growstuff Fri 30-Sep-22 17:54:24

Ilovecheese

And yet, a couple of generations ago the Conservatives billed themselves as the party of the family and wanted to encourage mothers to bring up their own children, now they want them to go out to work somehow, there are rumours of changes in childcare regulations which will no doubt mean more children being looked after by less adults.

They either don't believe in either physical or mental disability or they just don't care.

The Conservatives have been trying to reduce the staff/child ratio in childcare settings for years. Last time they tried, the measures were defeated.

growstuff Fri 30-Sep-22 17:56:16

Wyllow3

Whitewavemark2

With regards to the price cap - it is certainly ignorance.

The worrying thing is the fact that she was nearly the author of a complete collapse of our pensions yesterday - saved by the BoE. To say that it is the fault of Putin and world economy is a lie.

That what got me, "oh it's all Putins fault".
(raised eyes in utter disbelief emoji here)

Wow! That Putin fellow must have the ability to get inside people's brains. Has he implanted a chip in Conservative leaders' heads which controls what comes out of their mouths?

ayse Fri 30-Sep-22 18:08:44

Normandygirl

Urmstongran
"The best thing I can say about Liz Truss is that she passionately wants the UK to do well. She is fired up with enthusiasm."

She was passionate about remaining in the EU
She was passionate about the environment
She was a passionate republican
She was passionate about centre ground politics when a Lib Dem
Can you see a pattern?
Neil Fawcett said of her-;
" I think she is someone who plays to the gallery with whatever audience she is talking to, and I genuinely don’t know if she ever believes anything she says, then or now.”

Well, I certainly don’t believe anything she says. ??

maddyone Fri 30-Sep-22 18:25:26

Can we actually survive two more years of these two before the next general election? I don’t think we can!

Dickens Fri 30-Sep-22 19:00:17

DaisyAnne

Why would I actually care how you react? I have no control over you, nor should you believe you should have any over me. I came off GN, went out and came back to you still stirring the pot. Why?

"Stirring the pot" is not what I do. So I'll acknowledge your slightly unpleasant post, but refrain from further comment on what you have said.