Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Liz Truss lying or just ignorant of her own policies?

(148 Posts)
vegansrock Fri 30-Sep-22 06:58:11

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere - I couldn’t find it, but think it deserved its own thread. On local radio she said
“Through the energy price guarantee, the maximum will be £2,500” (Radio Leeds)
and also said
“no family, no household will pay over £2,500” (CNN)
This is wrong and could lull some into a false state of security. This is just the average household use. The total bill is not capped, if you leave your heating on full blast day and night you will pay more than £2,500. If you consume less, you will pay less. Is she deliberately misleading or does she not understand her own policies? Why did no sharp interviewer pull her up on this one?

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 13:38:07

I think Liz Truss is very bright.

Why? Got any evidence?

Maybe mixing up the Balkans and the Baltic? Not knowing the names of parts of Russia when talking to the Russian Foreign Minister while she was UK Foreign Minister? They're the ones I remember off the top of my head.

M0nica Sat 01-Oct-22 15:08:39

There is clever and there is intelligent, which encompasses so much else, emotional intelligence, a broad understanding of the world beyond the subject you are so clever in.

Truss and Kwarteng are clever, they are not intelligent.

Boris was neither.

Maudi Sat 01-Oct-22 16:16:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 16:18:25

Aw, thanks Maudi.

I was just sitting here hoping someone had noticed me today and up you popped. Ever so grateful, I am.

JaneJudge Sat 01-Oct-22 16:21:26

DaisyAnne

With what she has, Angela Rayner became the first woman MP in the 180-year history of her Ashton-under-Lyne constituency.

She was promoted to the shadow whip’s office, then went on to hold the position of Shadow Pensions Minister, before becoming a member of the Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Secretary of State for Education.

In March 2020, Angela was elected as Deputy Leader of the Labour Party. She is also Shadow First Secretary of State, Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Shadow Secretary of State for the Future of Work.

I do wonder how many of us can claim such a meteoric rise with or without the education you seem to feel she ought to have. I wonder what your education is that make you feel you can put down others?

I am not a Labour Party member nor a supporter, but I do support those who make a success of their lives despite a difficult start. You ask if Angela Rayner, to whom you apply the one of the most prejudiced descriptions I have seen on GN, would make a good Deputy Prime Minister. My answer would be yes, with that CV, she would.

Now do tell us what you have done with your life that makes you an expert on these things. Or can you only show intolerance and discrimination?

Good post.

Casdon Sat 01-Oct-22 16:25:52

Maudi

I see the petty spelling/grammar police were out today, some people must have such sad lives but hey ho whatever floats your sad boat and makes you feel important for a moment. I feel sorry for you actually.

Why do you feel the need to be so unpleasant Maudi?

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 16:35:04

I thought people might want to see a picture of my sad boat.

Dickens Sat 01-Oct-22 16:59:48

M0nica

There is clever and there is intelligent, which encompasses so much else, emotional intelligence, a broad understanding of the world beyond the subject you are so clever in.

Truss and Kwarteng are clever, they are not intelligent.

Boris was neither.

Oddly, it was Urmstongran who IMO hit the nail on the head regarding Truss when she said she didn't think she had the intellectual heft to carry this off.

When you get the bit between your teeth as Truss has done, I think you've got to have a very keen understanding not only of your subject but of its ramifications. It's all very well her saying that she's prepared to be unpopular - and in so saying she is exhibiting her egotistical bravado - but you have got to know how to manoeuvre your plan against the opposition to it, because such opposition can derail it and cause further eruptions in other areas, as we've already seen. She understands so little, intellectually, that in desperation she tried to defend herself by blaming the market turmoil caused by her blowout, on Russia's war with Ukraine, and what she calls the "international situation".! Well, yeah, these are having an effect on the markets so maybe now is not the time for tax cuts confused?

Her and Kamikwasi have refused to publish the OBR's forecast, ignored the IMF and are keeping their plans a secret only allowing ministers to 'hint' at what might be in store, which is, as we all knew it would be, further cuts to those who are the least able to foot the bill, drip-feeding this information when it looks like the markets might be getting spooked again!

varian Sat 01-Oct-22 17:32:21

Truss and Kwarteng are idealogues, in thrall to a dangerous discredited ideology.

Their refusal to look at the historical evidence that their trickle down economics never works and, even more worrying, their refusal to take any notice of the damage they have already done, makes them appear like devotees of a bonkers religious cult. "Not for turning" even if the UK economy is going over a cliff.

Dickens Sat 01-Oct-22 20:37:07

varian

Their refusal to look at the historical evidence that their trickle down economics never works and, even more worrying, their refusal to take any notice of the damage they have already done, makes them appear like devotees of a bonkers religious cult.

The similarities are striking - religious cults and the LT+KK ideology both require that you ignore evidence and emphatically 'believe'.

growstuff Sat 01-Oct-22 21:03:31

Apparently, Liz Truss told King Charels to stay away from the COP27 climate change summit in Egypt next month.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/01/king-charles-abandons-plans-to-attend-cop27-following-liz-trusss-advice

growstuff Sat 01-Oct-22 21:03:56

Charles*

Ooops!

JaneJudge Sat 01-Oct-22 21:04:55

Dickens

varian

Their refusal to look at the historical evidence that their trickle down economics never works and, even more worrying, their refusal to take any notice of the damage they have already done, makes them appear like devotees of a bonkers religious cult.

The similarities are striking - religious cults and the LT+KK ideology both require that you ignore evidence and emphatically 'believe'.

i believe this to be true

Dickens Sat 01-Oct-22 21:52:22

growstuff

Apparently, Liz Truss told King Charels to stay away from the COP27 climate change summit in Egypt next month.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/01/king-charles-abandons-plans-to-attend-cop27-following-liz-trusss-advice

I wonder why?

... apart from the fact that her growth-at-all-costs plan will allow for the environment to be ravaged and destroyed as deemed necessary. Charles banging on enthusiastically about protecting it would contradict her aims and ambition.

He was also I believe planning to have a chinwag with Macron about the same issues - I will not be surprised if that's something she also advises him against.

Quokka Sat 01-Oct-22 22:19:17

The late queen delivered a speech via video link to COP26. Truss has no right to ask him to stay away. Think being PM has gone to her head.

Dickens Sun 02-Oct-22 09:23:56

Quokka

The late queen delivered a speech via video link to COP26. Truss has no right to ask him to stay away. Think being PM has gone to her head.

Considering the amount of untreated sewage washing up on our beaches and elsewhere - sanctioned and approved by the government - Charles' appearance at the COP would represent a dichotomy.

Kind of embarrassing to have your king enthusiastically and forcefully banging the drum for the environment whilst the nation he represents is busy polluting itself.

I wish he'd go against her and attend. But of course, he won't. She'll probably try to encourage him to visit one of the southern African nations which are part of the Commonwealth, hoping its citizens will line his route waving little plastic flags at him.

Rule Britannia (Unchained, of course).

volver Sun 02-Oct-22 09:31:14

The first King's Speech is going to be interesting.

How is he going to read out things that go entirely against what he has always spoken out for?

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 10:25:36

It should be interesting.

I don't think either of them are the type to back down.

MaizieD Sun 02-Oct-22 10:36:10

volver

The first King's Speech is going to be interesting.

How is he going to read out things that go entirely against what he has always spoken out for?

What would he do if he was an elected Head of State, volver?

Or do states with an elected HoS not have an occasion when the government's legislative plans are set out for the nation to see?

volver Sun 02-Oct-22 10:37:35

What would he do if he was an elected Head of State, volver?

Probably use his powers within the constitution to do something about the fact that the government are trying to act without mandate.

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 10:43:41

There may be trouble ahead ........

Alie2Oxon Sun 02-Oct-22 10:44:34

Apologies for misposting here. After the news this morning, I've started a new thread on this point.