Gransnet forums

News & politics

British Politics would be improved by the return of…

(53 Posts)
Casdon Fri 30-Sep-22 16:49:21

I’d like to see Ed Balls return to the Labour benches, we need more politicians who are competent, genuinely care about people and will bring a bit more humour to the deadly serious business of politics. Which former (but still living) politicians do you think would improve British politics?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 30-Sep-22 16:50:54

Michael Portillo

Oldnproud Fri 30-Sep-22 16:54:11

Rory Stewart.
Ed Balls is a good suggestion too, though. In fact, the two of them together could be a brilliant partnership. I know they were not in the same party, but even so ...

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Sep-22 16:54:45

I agree, Michael Portillo. As far as Labour are concerned, Ed Balls and David Milliband.

Ilovecheese Fri 30-Sep-22 17:22:39

Gordon Brown

volver Fri 30-Sep-22 17:25:06

Watching Portillo's latest TV series about the Pyrenees I realised he's a bit of an anarchist wink.

And yes, Gordon Brown.

Blossoming Fri 30-Sep-22 18:02:55

Gordon Brown.

Aveline Fri 30-Sep-22 18:06:19

Gordon Brown and Rory Stewart

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-22 18:14:24

Gordon Brown

David Milliband

Ed Balls

Fleurpepper Fri 30-Sep-22 19:18:24

Anniebach

Gordon Brown

David Milliband

Ed Balls

yes + Rory Stewart.

As for Michael Portillo, Volver- his father lost his life fighting against Franco during the Spanish Civil War. I remember a documentary where he met his uncle, who was pro Franco and fought for the other side. Very moving.

MawtheMerrier Fri 30-Sep-22 19:28:09

Deportation
Not to the colonies, but maybe Mars? for the Tory front bench.

volver Fri 30-Sep-22 19:29:31

His father didn't lose his life fighting Franco, he lived until 1993. He came to Britain and married the daughter of a lino millionaire from Kirkcaldy. smile

MayBee70 Fri 30-Sep-22 19:31:00

Portillo might be regarded as a good guy these days but he’s making a good living with his train programmes even though he was a staunch supporter of Thatcher who hated the railways and supported the road transport lobby. He’s also, I’m pretty sure, very much pro brexit even though he has European roots. So much as I enjoy his programmes I still remember what he was like as a politician.

MayBee70 Fri 30-Sep-22 19:33:40

David Cameron faced growing Tory pressure on Europe last night when the former cabinet minister Michael Portillo threw his weight behind the call by Lord Lawson for Britain to leave the EU.

As Boris Johnson entered the fray, by saying that Britain should be prepared to quit if it fails to secure better membership terms, Portillo said he "fervently" hopes the British people have the "guts" to vote no.

The intervention by a second Tory grandee came as Charles Moore, Margaret Thatcher's official biographer, revealed that the late prime minister came to believe after she left office that Britain should quit the EU. Writing in this week's issue of the Spectator, Moore says that Thatcher kept her views private after she was advised that her views would push her to "the fringes of public life".
…from The Guardian

Iam64 Fri 30-Sep-22 19:34:10

Ken Clarke, Gordon Brown, Alan Johnson, Mo
Mowlem

Fleurpepper Fri 30-Sep-22 19:41:07

volver

His father didn't lose his life fighting Franco, he lived until 1993. He came to Britain and married the daughter of a lino millionaire from Kirkcaldy. smile

Thanks for this. The documentary was a long time ago- maybe after his father died.

MayBee70 Fri 30-Sep-22 19:41:57

From recent times I’m missing Tom Brake, Chris Leslie, Anna Soubry, Dominic Grieve and Rory Stewart. All pretty much pushed out by their own parties (with the exception of Tom: he had a great rapport with Chris Leslie: I used to love listening to them in parliament).

volver Fri 30-Sep-22 19:44:14

Fleurpepper

volver

Thanks for this. The documentary was a long time ago- maybe after his father died.

??I think the truth is stranger than fiction. The recent documentary series about the Pyrenees talks about his father's journey out of Spain.

And I did celebrate wildly when he lost his seat!

varian Fri 30-Sep-22 19:44:19

Paddy Ashdown

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Sep-22 19:50:24

I thought he had died?

MerylStreep Fri 30-Sep-22 19:51:07

GrannyGravy13

Michael Portillo

How true.
It’s obvious from his train journey programs that he’s changed a lot.

varian Fri 30-Sep-22 19:58:13

Germanshepherdsmum

I thought he had died?

Sadly. Yes GSM Paddy has died, as has Mo Mowlem and many other good politicians. He could have been a great PM.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Sep-22 20:00:19

He could. I had the greatest respect for him and for Mo too.

paddyann54 Fri 30-Sep-22 22:01:13

Please not Gordon Brown ,he's been promising all sorts of nonsense since before the 2014 referendum and none of them actually happen! He gets dragged out whenever labour thinks they need someone with gravitas,sadly for Gordon its not really him,the VOW was a joke and he gave his name to it .
How any man who is apparently intelligent can be taken n by Tories is beyond me .Gordon is a has been best left in the past
Robin Cook would get my vote if I had to vote labour a man of principle

BigBertha1 Fri 30-Sep-22 22:19:47

If I say it quietly will you please not shout at me? Tony Blair.