Gransnet forums

News & politics

Kwasi

(88 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Sat 01-Oct-22 12:41:49

Nicknames from last night’s HIGNFY included Kamikaze Kwarteng and Khazi Kwarteng as that is where the country is headed.
Any more offers?

(Is this too optimistic?)

Prentice Sat 01-Oct-22 14:45:56

Callistemon I think you are missing the point here.
I too am worried about what Mr Kwarteng is doing, it is all a huge gamble.
I simply dislike the name calling on a show such as HIGNFY, it is bad enough on social media.
It is not the end of the world but since the thread invited us to comment, I have done so.
I appreciate political satire, but this is not it.

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 14:46:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 14:47:04

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 14:50:53

In many ways I tend to think that poking fun because of someone's name, is wrong. And yet, it seems to be the norm for all politicians, rightly or wrongly.

One could therefore say that it could be seen as 'racist' not to do so in the case of Kwarteng, because he is black. Reverse racism, in a way. Remember when Police did not investigate crime because of 'sensibilities' in Bradford?

Casdon Sat 01-Oct-22 14:51:25

This is nothing new though, leaders have always had nicknames in British politics - here they are for PMs, going back hundreds of years, some of them much more insulting, eg Margaret Thatcher - Attila the Hen.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 14:54:48

It is nothing new; some names are pleasant, some less so.

One I've heard for Nicola Sturgeon isn't pleasant because it's belittling her appearance.

This one for Kwasi is describing his political actions.

Fleurpepper Sat 01-Oct-22 14:55:39

Known in France as 'Madame Tas de Chair' (Mrs lump of meat)

Prentice Sat 01-Oct-22 14:55:50

Quotes a deleted post. Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

tickingbird Sat 01-Oct-22 14:56:18

If he wasn’t conservative this thread would be denounced as racist. Meghan Markle is called out for her behaviour- it’s racist. Dianne Abbott called out for her many bloopers - it’s racist. The hypocrisy of some on this site stinks!

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 14:56:26

Not pleasant, all childish.

Except David Cameron. Who was apparently known as "Dave". They must have put a lot of thought into that...

hallgreenmiss Sat 01-Oct-22 14:58:06

Riverwalk

Having an African name doesn't make him immune from political satire.

He's the British Chancellor of the Exchequer presiding over an economic disaster, which makes him fair game.

Absolutely agree with you

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 15:10:08

Fleurpepper

Known in France as 'Madame Tas de Chair' (Mrs lump of meat)

?
Oh dear. Not pleasant
And, of course, most people can discern the difference .

Why was Jim Callaghan called Sunny Jim Callaghan? Did he have a sunny nature?

Most people in the Forces have nicknames.

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 15:12:59

Prentice

Callistemon I think you are missing the point here.
I too am worried about what Mr Kwarteng is doing, it is all a huge gamble.
I simply dislike the name calling on a show such as HIGNFY, it is bad enough on social media.
It is not the end of the world but since the thread invited us to comment, I have done so.
I appreciate political satire, but this is not it.

Fair enough Prentice but don't think I'm missing the point at all.
I just have a different opinion - nicknames about appearance are indeed unpleasant but there are others given as a result of actions or old traditional ones eg Dusty Miller which are not.

Casdon Sat 01-Oct-22 15:21:43

Prentice of course you’re entitled to your opinion, but calling politicians rude (sometimes very rude) nicknames has been part of the fabric of British political life for hundreds of years. Politicians do it to each other, and the media do it to politicians. HIGNFY are not doing anything new. I don’t think it will change, because it’s not a big deal in the great scheme of things.

Prentice Sat 01-Oct-22 15:23:04

We have different viewpoints on this matter Callistemon which is fine and dandy.

Prentice Sat 01-Oct-22 15:25:01

Thank you Casdon I was starting to wonder if I was actually entitled to my opinion on this thread.

Prentice Sat 01-Oct-22 15:26:47

As I stated upthread, it is not the end of the world.

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 15:28:19

Prentice

As I stated upthread, it is not the end of the world.

Just don't join the Forces ?

Joseanne Sat 01-Oct-22 15:34:23

I agree with Callistemon that name calling is usually down to alliteration or onomatopoeia. We see it in the playground at an early age when children have no preconceptions about race, nationality etc. It just sounds funny, and rolls off the tongue, if a bit silly too. Horrible Histories is full of uncomplimentary alliterative names of homegrown and foreign Kings, politicians, world leaders etc.

Prentice Sat 01-Oct-22 15:35:46

I think I am a little too old for that now, the forces would not want me for anything more challenging than carrying two mugs of tea, and I may even not be all that good at that.

Joseanne Sat 01-Oct-22 15:37:01

Prentice

I think I am a little too old for that now, the forces would not want me for anything more challenging than carrying two mugs of tea, and I may even not be all that good at that.

I'm sure you would get a jedsl for veing the tea lady too! ☕ ?

Joseanne Sat 01-Oct-22 15:37:20

Oops medal ?

MerylStreep Sat 01-Oct-22 15:47:29

The Metropolitan Police put up the wrong picture of a missing black woman.

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 16:04:28

Prentice

? Officer in Charge of Tea

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 16:05:15

MerylStreep

The Metropolitan Police put up the wrong picture of a missing black woman.

They really can't dig themselves a bigger pit, can they.